Finally, some mods on the 08 CRD! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Whitbread
2008 WK 

Finally, some mods on the 08 CRD!

Hey guys! My name is Matt Whitbread, I'm new around here but not to the automotive world. Good chance that anyone here that's also in the VW/Audi world will recognize me. Anyway, I have a fleet of VW TDI's and I've been looking for a crd jeep for a long while. After much looking, I spotted an 08 Overland CRD from Milwaukee with 89K last june and went up to grab it. It was bone stock until last week, no more .

Rare black/brown interior (at least from my readings)

Went up to 265/65-18 hankook dynapro atm's. Now it needs some bilstien front shocks to level it out.

Did the first oil change and serpentine belt change today. When a fabricator and a crappy plastic component meet, there is only one possible outcome.

From here, it's going to get a gtb2260vklr turbo from the HO merc motor, full 3" ss exhaust, better turbo inlet pipe, and a bigger intercooler. GDE happens to be 40 minutes from me so that will make the tuning very easy.

Last edited by Whitbread; 12-21-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Clach
2006 WK 

Thumbs up
post #3 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 04:14 PM
mushkasdad
2008 WK 

Simply Beautiful.....
post #4 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 04:20 PM
SSF556
2008 WK 

welcome and look,forward to your contribution to the crd and the forum

Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
post #5 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 04:49 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
From here, it's going to get a gtb2260vklr turbo from the HO merc motor.
Welcome! Sweet Jeep!

My turbo has some impeller damage, so eventually I'll have to replace it. What are the benefits of the one you listed? Is it fairly easy to adapt? Just need to add a water line, right?

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
189,000+ miles!
post #6 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 PM
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Love that interior. Your last name is pretty cool, I bet you get called Whitebread more than Tim. Also, Welcome

2007 limited crd 2wd, 3.07 ratio, GDE eco tune, dpf delete, BuilderBill valve body
2013 VW Passat tdi, 6m
2005 GMC crew cab 5.3
post #7 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Well HELLO fellow Michigan CRD owner!
Have you check out CB Engineering? He is a forum member from Iowa I believe. Here is is website.
If you can do your own work that's pretty sweet! I can't so I rely on others with that experience to help support them with my $$$.
I would like to see someone come up with a similar CAI like the volant to use. I like Omelets snorkel build that attached to the volant, since I have Silver Lake dunes near me, it would be nice to try and minimize any sand ingestion I can with a snorkel and and a prefilter to help block some of that. I have a buddy with the Hemi and may purchase the volant to see if I can get it to work, and if not, sell it to him.
GDE and tires are my goals for the spring, and if possible a OME lift. Good luck and have fun!
If you ever want to get together to do some DNR trails up north between Cadillac and Kalkaska let me know. I want to check that trail system out this summer!
post #8 of 50 Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Answerwi
2007 WK 

Nice rig. I'm in Milwaukee and had to go to Colorado this spring to find mine. Digging the boost gauge, reminds me of my 01.5 Audi S4 placement. Looking forward to seeing the turbo install.

2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - OME HD w/Bilsteins - 255/75/17 BFG MT's - GDE Hot Tune - DPF delete
post #9 of 50 Old 12-22-2014, 03:39 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answerwi View Post
Digging the boost gauge, reminds me of my 01.5 Audi S4 placement. Looking forward to seeing the turbo install.
I didn't even notice that. It does look nice!
I use DashBoss with an old iPod Touch on a mount via bluetooth to get readings: trans temp, coolant temp, boost, batt v, egt... the stuff you don't get to see real numbers for. It does not read oil pressure or oil temp, but the dashboss dongle has two additional connectors so I could tap a oil pressure and oil temp sending units into the engine and get those readouts with the dashboss.
post #10 of 50 Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Glad to have you on board! I believe the issue with max tuning so far is the MAP sensor isn't able to read high enough. I think stock is 1.6bar. That I'm thinking might be your biggest woe.

Christian's made some good progress with his two CRD's. Here's a couple links to his stuff. He hasn't been around in a few months now, just busy with life I hope.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...build-2324081/
page 5 on this ^ shows his gtb2260vklr set up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/j...-mods-1411857/

and his website which shows the turbo upgrade some more. http://cb-engineer.com/

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to your progress! This platform definitely has alot of room for power improvments and i'm excited to see what you can manage to get out of it.

2007 CRD QDII
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT - hoping it gets bought back!
2004 QD 4.7 GC- lawn ornament waiting for some TLC
post #11 of 50 Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Whitbread
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Welcome! Sweet Jeep!

My turbo has some impeller damage, so eventually I'll have to replace it. What are the benefits of the one you listed? Is it fairly easy to adapt? Just need to add a water line, right?
Thanks! Benefits are more power with basically same spool. Yes, if you get the euro pedestal or tdanzig's adapter it will bolt on with the exception of the water lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
Love that interior. Your last name is pretty cool, I bet you get called Whitebread more than Tim. Also, Welcome
Me too! I looked for over 8 months for an overland crd with the brown/black interior. Hahahah, yes, on a daily basis. Wheatbread is usually #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Well HELLO fellow Michigan CRD owner!
Have you check out CB Engineering? He is a forum member from Iowa I believe. Here is is website.
If you can do your own work that's pretty sweet! I can't so I rely on others with that experience to help support them with my $$$.
I would like to see someone come up with a similar CAI like the volant to use. I like Omelets snorkel build that attached to the volant, since I have Silver Lake dunes near me, it would be nice to try and minimize any sand ingestion I can with a snorkel and and a prefilter to help block some of that. I have a buddy with the Hemi and may purchase the volant to see if I can get it to work, and if not, sell it to him.
GDE and tires are my goals for the spring, and if possible a OME lift. Good luck and have fun!
If you ever want to get together to do some DNR trails up north between Cadillac and Kalkaska let me know. I want to check that trail system out this summer!
Yup, I did a ton of reading before hand and have worked on few CRD jeeps so I'm fairly well versed in them. I'll be picking up his egr delete plates as I've found in the past for one time use/one off parts, it's not worth my time making them if someone else already does for a reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix9 View Post
Glad to have you on board! I believe the issue with max tuning so far is the MAP sensor isn't able to read high enough. I think stock is 1.6bar. That I'm thinking might be your biggest woe.

Christian's made some good progress with his two CRD's. Here's a couple links to his stuff. He hasn't been around in a few months now, just busy with life I hope.

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to your progress! This platform definitely has alot of room for power improvments and i'm excited to see what you can manage to get out of it.
Thanks! The map sensor linearization can't be changed in the ecu? I routinely swap the factory 2.5 bar sensors out for 4 or 5 bar ones on the VW TDI's I specialize in. My tuner just changes the scaling in the ecu and that's it.

I've seen his pro-lite build, I certainly won't be going that far! He does very nice work though!

I appreciate the offer, will probably take you up on either an atv or my 87 chevy with a 4-53T detroit. The jeep is my bad weather/atv hauler. It's still too new and nice to me so I can't scratch it up just yet!

I can't wait to see what this thing does with the turbo/IC/exhaust. If it ends up with similar power/weight ratio as my 97 passat wagon TDI, I'll be really happy. Before you laugh too hard at that sentence, here's my wagon's engine bay;

compound turbo 2.0L TDI, awd, 6 spd manual, 58psi boost, 291whp/496wtq.
post #12 of 50 Old 12-24-2014, 01:47 PM
clday25
2007 WK 

Wow

Welcome to the forum and wow, just wow! Your VW is insane. Do you have a build thread or link to more info on it??

I'd like to see more folks perform tdanzig's turbo upgrade and put some miles on the mod before I take the plunge. I've enjoyed my GDE Hot Tune and DPF delete and other mod's but its time for more power ;-)

Cheers,
Chris

2007 Overland CRD - OME HD - Powder Coated Moabs - 275/70/17 Cooper Discover AT3 - Pinchweld Mod - GDE Hot Tune + PDF Delete - Resonator Delete
post #13 of 50 Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread
here's my wagon's engine bay; compound turbo 2.0L TDI, awd, 6 spd manual, 58psi boost, 291whp/496wtq.
Very nice! I guess the mileage per gallon must be insanely good

2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
post #14 of 50 Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

Welcome to the CRD world and JF. Your expertise in diesels will be most welcome and appreciated. Gorgeous interior and cant wait to see what you do to the engine. Just keep in mind some of us (me) are novice engine guys so don't get too impatient with my ignorant posts/questions. This is the best vehicle forum I have ever been on in over a decade including ATVs, tractors, etc. 58 psi boost is amazing - all I have pulled on my stock CRD is 22-23 psi, 405 wtq.

2007 WK Limited 3.0 CRD - Stock (Mine)
2010 XK Sport 5.7 Hemi - Stock (Wife)
post #15 of 50 Old 12-26-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Whitbread
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answerwi View Post
Digging the boost gauge, reminds me of my 01.5 Audi S4 placement. Looking forward to seeing the turbo install.
Thanks! The PO actually made the pod and had a beat up old volt gauge in there. He plastic welded a universal pod to the top of the steering column cover. Came out nice enough that I have no reason to change it. I just put a stewart warner 0-30psi boost gauge in there as I had it laying around from an upgrade on a customer car. Put a white led bulb in it to get it to match the factory cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clday25 View Post
Welcome to the forum and wow, just wow! Your VW is insane. Do you have a build thread or link to more info on it??

I'd like to see more folks perform tdanzig's turbo upgrade and put some miles on the mod before I take the plunge. I've enjoyed my GDE Hot Tune and DPF delete and other mod's but its time for more power ;-)

Cheers,
Chris
There's bits scattered around the internet on it. I originally build it for a customer, then a few years later he offered it to me for a very reasonable price. It was originally a VR6 autotragic, I swapped it over to a 2001 jetta TDI engine that was fully built to the hilt with every trick in the book. The AWD setup is out of an audi TT with one of the center shafts lengthened 5". Diesel ratio 1-6th and the R&P were swapped in the trans to get proper highway ratios. The angle drive unit that runs the rear drive shaft is after the front final drive so you can change trans/R&P ratios all you want without having to screw with the rear diff.

It's a compound turbo arrangement, little turbo is a 56mm exducer garrett, and big one is a Borg 73mm exducer. It it absolutely hilarious to tow with the car. Pulling 3700lbs (about 7.5K total counting car and passengers) up all the grades from Roanoke VA to Detroit MI in 5th gear at 70mph/2900rpms egt's sat at 1000F with 120*IAT at 45-50psi boost with cruise set. I've never seen so many funny looks from people getting passed up mountain grades . Averaged 21mpg on that trip too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Very nice! I guess the mileage per gallon must be insanely good
For the power, yes. For a TDI VW, it's horrible haha. Best ever with the car was 40mpg doing 75mph. I normally average 32-36mpg with it. When you have that much fun under your right foot, it's hard not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
Welcome to the CRD world and JF. Your expertise in diesels will be most welcome and appreciated. Gorgeous interior and cant wait to see what you do to the engine. Just keep in mind some of us (me) are novice engine guys so don't get too impatient with my ignorant posts/questions. This is the best vehicle forum I have ever been on in over a decade including ATVs, tractors, etc. 58 psi boost is amazing - all I have pulled on my stock CRD is 22-23 psi, 405 wtq.
Thanks! I hope to bring some fun stuff to the forum here. I own an automotive performance metal fabrication business but I don't want to step on tdanzig's feet so I'm not going to bother jigging up some of the tubing pieces that he already makes. I hope we can work together though on getting the 2260vklr mounted up and tuned with a 4 bar map sensor retrofitted.

I just wish there was a way to gear down the front differential to a 3.07 like you can get for the rear. 2500rpm at 70mph is just silly for a 3.0L diesel. Hard to justify a solid axle swap just to drop the R&P ratio down....

Last edited by Whitbread; 12-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.