Finally got the Commander off road... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Finally got the Commander off road...

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
FLM_Jeep
2007 XK Commander 

Finally got the Commander off road...

Finally convinced the wife that HER jeep was ready to tackle some dirt. With the 2" rusty's lift, the rocksliders, and the JK tires and wheels, I felt pretty confident. But she's only been in the dirt once before.

So we went to a local Off-road area that has a "training ground" - an area set aside for classes and other "test" spots. I drove her through a couple obstacles, she then took over and only gave up the wheel at the last one.

Here she is cruising around the flats

Lining up for her first solo hill

Almost up, nice and slow

Now, on to the "Frame Twister" - not really that scary, but we ran it 3 times, teaching her how to follow signals and when to stop on command.

Here she is, first time in her life with a wheel balanced in the air. Don't know if you can see the grin through the bugs...

Continues...

FLM_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
FLM_Jeep
2007 XK Commander 

The last one we tried was the "sluice box" - a long, large-rock course. She decided to run the camera and let me drive. With the 2" lift, I touched the undercarriage once (hard, the muffler now has a dent).

The rock sliders also earned their keep, one big scratch on them saving any scratches on the Jeep.

I have utter confidence now in this vehicle taking it anywhere within reason. It is a real Jeep!

And I dare not forget the back-seat driver, Mr. "I love bumpy roads" himself:
Unread 04-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
tjolson08WK
2008 WK 

Nice job on the Commander, great to see it get some off road use! Nice write up and pictures.

Good post!
tjolson08WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Nice rig!

Quote:
and the JK tires and wheels,
I have been asking around and snooping across the internet for information on swapping on some JK rims, but finding the specs has been an ordeal. Finally my prayers to the Jeep gods have been answered. Have you run across any problems, and if I may bother you a little more are they the 18" or 17" wheels?

(I'm trying to run the 2.25" lift on my WK, but don't want to shell out the $800 for new rims and would like to avoid wheel spacers. )
Texas WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Nice pics.

Did you air down your tires to say 20 to 15? It'll improve your grip on the rocks.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
nick500ss
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Nice rig!

I have been asking around and snooping across the internet for information on swapping on some JK rims, but finding the specs has been an ordeal. Finally my prayers to the Jeep gods have been answered. Have you run across any problems, and if I may bother you a little more are they the 18" or 17" wheels?

(I'm trying to run the 2.25" lift on my WK, but don't want to shell out the $800 for new rims and would like to avoid wheel spacers. )
The lift will work with 265/70R17 tires on stock rims with a little trimming of the ball joint studs. You don't need wheel spacers either but some people use them.
nick500ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

Awesome pictures! Makes me want a Commander. The JK rims really make it look sharp!
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick500ss View Post
The lift will work with 265/70R17 tires on stock rims with a little trimming of the ball joint studs. You don't need wheel spacers either but some people use them.
I appreciate it, but I don't want to trim the studs either. Yeah I know, I'm being difficult. Plus, I'd like to move the wheels outward anyway so I've searching for the proper backspacing and offset to do so. I've taken a look at the AEV Pinter wheels, but don't care for them all that much for my situation.
Unread 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
TX-WJ

2004 WJ 

Very nice pics; that is some handsome looking Jeep .
What kind of roof rack/basket is that?

2004 WJ Ltd. (steel blue pearlcoat)
4.7, 242 HD swap, 6" Clayton's, 35" BFG KM2s, F/R chromo'd JK Rubi D44s
TX-WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
FLM_Jeep
2007 XK Commander 

The JK rims and tires I got were off a Rubicon with less than 600 miles on them. (My buddy's Rubi). They are 255/75 R17. They rub at full lock on the plastic well liners. After trimming the liners, you have to bend a pinch weld over. I have done that, and now have no more rubbing even at full flex. I want to put a plain rubber mudflap over the trimmed area.

I didn't air-down at all, because this was a short 1 hour trip. I noticed no slipping problems.

The rack and basket are Mopar parts. I found it off Ebay for 1/2 price only a hundred miles from home. They are rated at 150 pounds, but after climbing around on top using them, I say they are rated for 195 pounds. (Well, plus my shoes, tools, etc)

On edit: Whoops! the JK rims required spidertrax 1.5" spacers.
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
On edit: Whoops! the JK rims required spidertrax 1.5" spacers.
D'oh! What terrible timing I have. I just bought a set of 4 JK rims, this evening, for $250 expecting to have enough backspacing to work.

Arrggh.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #12
xhroamer

[QUOTE=FLM_Jeep;5071575]The last one we tried was the "sluice box" - a long, large-rock course. She decided to run the camera and let me drive. With the 2" lift, I touched the undercarriage once (hard, the muffler now has a dent).

The rock sliders also earned their keep, one big scratch on them saving any scratches on the Jeep.

I have utter confidence now in this vehicle taking it anywhere within reason. It is a real Jeep!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great pics...I have done some serious off-road stuff with mine and your right!!! It will go almost anywhere. Given some lift, decent shocks, rubber and QuadraDrive, it can mix it with the best. IT IS A REAL JEEP!!!

My 3.0 ltr CRD Commander Ltd currently has an OME 50mm lift, long travel Bilstein shocks, rock rails & side sliders (locally made), 110ltr aux tank (188 litres total), rear spare wheel carrier (locally made), nudge bar (Jeep) with IPF extreme driving lights. GPS and CB. Next is HF radio & Sat phone, Mopar light bar and a full replacement J&J bullbar (winch compatible) which has just finished R&D and now in production. The nudge is limited and not for bush bashing. Looking at fitting JK rims to fit bigger rubber. Originally tried 265/65R17s on standard Commander rims but rubbed slightly on full lock at full articulation and that ball joint stud was a little too close....good noisy mud scraper. Went back to running 255/65R17s with no problems but some more clearance under the rear diff won't go astray.

Why the Hf radio?? I do frequent remote outback Australian trips and HF radio (or Sat phone) is essential insurance.

Check my gallery for pics

Last edited by xhroamer; 06-02-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: removed images url and added gallery
xhroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

I'm going to post a couple of your pictures, xhroamer, if you don't mind. You've got a nice rig.

If I might ask, where did you get the tire carrier?
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
xhroamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
I'm going to post a couple of your pictures, xhroamer, if you don't mind. You've got a nice rig.

If I might ask, where did you get the tire carrier?
Don't mind at all.

Local TJM 4x4 dealer made the carrier. Mine is the prototype. He's taking orders here in Aust but not sure if he'll export. Can email you his contact details if you want. The 110 Litre tank is where the spare normally is so needed the carrier rather than have the spare on the roof. It's a modified Toyota LandCruiser version with mounting brackets behind the plastic bar. Done a lot of off-road work with it and it's solid and no rattles.

Last edited by xhroamer; 06-02-2008 at 09:40 PM..
xhroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhroamer View Post
Don't mind at all.

Local TJM 4x4 dealer made the carrier. Mine is the prototype. He's taking orders here in Aust but not sure if he'll export. Can email you his contact details if you want. The 110 Litre tank is where the spare normally is so needed the carrier rather than have the spare on the roof. It's a modified Toyota LandCruiser version with mounting brackets behind the plastic bar. Done a lot of off-road work with it and it's solid and no rattles.
Excellent. Shipping to the States would make it pretty expensive though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.