Finally 3D Printed New Trim Rings for Rear Seat Storage Compartments - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Finally 3D Printed New Trim Rings for Rear Seat Storage Compartments

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
shortysmash
2007 WK 

Finally 3D Printed New Trim Rings for Rear Seat Storage Compartments

Today I'm a happy person:

1. Work just got a Makerbot
2. I finally got to print new trim rings that I designed to replace my broken missing ones since I could never find them anywhere else.

My OEM rings lost all the clips and tabs so my compartment would not stay shut, so in SolidWorks I designed new ones that would be more robust and today I finally got to print them. They were a little tight but the coaxing of a rubber mallet seated them nicely and ensure they are going to snap apart on their own.

Here are some pics of the completed rings.

1. The Clips (Female/Male)
2. The Clips together
3. One Clip vs the OEM
4. Installed
5. Locked Down

img_20130808_120617.jpg

img_20130808_120628.jpg

img_20130808_120659.jpg

img_20130808_130054.jpg

shortysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysmash
Today I'm a happy person:

1. Work just got a Makerbot
2. I finally got to print new trim rings that I designed to replace my broken missing ones since I could never find them anywhere else.

My OEM rings lost all the clips and tabs so my compartment would not stay shut, so in SolidWorks I designed new ones that would be more robust and today I finally got to print them. They were a little tight but the coaxing of a rubber mallet seated them nicely and ensure they are going to snap apart on their own.

Here are some pics of the completed rings.

1. The Clips (Female/Male)
2. The Clips together
3. One Clip vs the OEM
4. Installed
5. Locked Down
Holy crap. That is too cool!!
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
bikkerdude
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is so awesome! I would love to get a 3D printer. I think they are going to revolutionize the world. Something broke and you need a new part well just print it instead of going down to the part store. So cool! Are you making your plans public?
bikkerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
BAH101
2008 WK 

Do you have the Replicator 2 or 2X? I got my 2X in April.
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This is just crazy awesome! Unreal what technology has unleashed with these 3D printers.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Drudgery1971

2007 WK 

I have been studying the whole 3D market for over 3 years and still can't make up my mind but Makerbot is a flexible small platform for sure and REALLY cool you did this - and also nice your company didn't catch you doing it or I am sure they did and didn't mind. It's still too much for me personally to invest in for ROI but close. Should have included a JEEP logo on the pulls - it is custom printing afterall.
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
shortysmash
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikkerdude View Post
That is so awesome! I would love to get a 3D printer. I think they are going to revolutionize the world. Something broke and you need a new part well just print it instead of going down to the part store. So cool! Are you making your plans public?
Whoever wants them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudgery1971 View Post
I have been studying the whole 3D market for over 3 years and still can't make up my mind but Makerbot is a flexible small platform for sure and REALLY cool you did this - and also nice your company didn't catch you doing it or I am sure they did and didn't mind. It's still too much for me personally to invest in for ROI but close. Should have included a JEEP logo on the pulls - it is custom printing afterall.

Haha. No they didn't mind. Since we just got it we have been throwing tons of different designs and situations to see what it does/doesn't handle well. So this was something I wanted to try for a while. As far as ROI It might take a while but it all depends on what your printing. If it's stuff like this then yeah however we have used it to print fixtures to hold some of our products at weird angles, custom sockets that fit irregular shaped parts and tools for tightening polished aluminum parts that you can't get scratched. With these type parts you dont have to spend the engineering hours making dimensioned prints for a machinist to program into a CNC mill, and the immediate turn around is hours not days. Each roll is 2.2lb and costs around $50 and one of or largest fixtures weighed 1oz. So in plastic cost it cost $1.42 and took 10 hr to print. But that is a helluva lot cheaper than having it CNC'd
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
shortysmash
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Do you have the Replicator 2 or 2X? I got my 2X in April.
We got the replicator 2. We are using it to see how much 3d printing will benefit our engineering department. So we went with single head PLA. So far it has been great. Later down the road we may upgrade to a higher res printer.

From what I've heard, some 3d printing patents expire next year, So the market could potentially blow up with new, cheaper and better products.
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have been researching 3D printers too, but just don't think I would personally use one enough to make it worthwhile.

But, I just found an alternative. There is an online make service called Ponoko (maybe others too). They provide 2D, 3D, and laser cutting services. And have a wide range of materials available. Just signed up and plan to give them a try soon.

Would be great if we could pool desings somewhere. Ponoko I think also allows you to up load your designs for sale (or free)....not sure how that plays out legally with copied OEM parts.

Anyone else use Ponoko or similar services?

Anyone have a 3D scanner? Sure would make design quicker/easier/more precise.
curtis2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Clirry
2014 WK 

Amazing job! Looks like having a 3-d printer would be good investment...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.