filter magnet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > filter magnet

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 11-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

filter magnet

I was on summitracing.com and I saw this filter magnet. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ft...view/make/jeep
My guys is it sticks on to the filter and magnetize it to keep metal from going back into the motor. Any body else know what it actually does?

KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
JRLT
2010 WK 

Basically, that's all they are supposed to do. There are cheaper ones out there.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
colinzj
2006 WK 

Separates you from $54.
Unread 11-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jeepman View Post
I was on summitracing.com and I saw this filter magnet. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ft...view/make/jeep
My guys is it sticks on to the filter and magnetize it to keep metal from going back into the motor. Any body else know what it actually does?
It collects metallic particles that are ferromagnetic, like steel. That is all it does.

Not really worth it though. This guy made his own version using strong NeFdB magnets, and after 8000km it didn't seem to catch much.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
fishinbama
2007 WK 

The best place to get disposable neodymium magnets is out of old hard drives. Take them apart and you will find a very strong magnet.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
james_2k
2009 WK 

+1

i took apart a hard drive and got myself 4 strong magnets which i put on the oil pans of my cars, around the drain plug (2 each)
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
imnotted
2007 WK 

If you're worried about a significant amount of metal in your engine oil, you may have far greater problems that a magnet won't solve. I don't use magnets on my engines; a little bit of benign metal isn't going to hurt. If it is big enough to damage my engine, then it probably came from a spun bearing, in which case I'm looking at a rebuild anyway. I've been told by a master ASE mechanic friend of mine that they're kind of pointless on auto transmissions, too. He seems to believe leaving that metal in the system actually helps the clutch packs engage and slows down their wear. I'm not sure I agree with that, and I still drain and clean my magnet on a fluid change (though I do follow my own, extended change interval). But the theory is there, so take it for what it's worth. I look at Sprinter vans, which use the same NAG1 as my CRD (basically a 722.6/W5A580), and I know they're not getting changed as often as they should; they still manage to go about 200k miles between rebuilds. It's a finicky transmission when it comes to fluid levels, but it's far more resilient than people give it credit. I've seen them go 100k miles between changes without extra magnets and without issues (see: every MB that shipped with a 722.6 that Mercedes said was "filled for life").
imnotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
94jeepman
Jager93

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotted View Post
If you're worried about a significant amount of metal in your engine oil, you may have far greater problems that a magnet won't solve. I don't use magnets on my engines; a little bit of benign metal isn't going to hurt. If it is big enough to damage my engine, then it probably came from a spun bearing, in which case I'm looking at a rebuild anyway. I've been told by a master ASE mechanic friend of mine that they're kind of pointless on auto transmissions, too. He seems to believe leaving that metal in the system actually helps the clutch packs engage and slows down their wear. I'm not sure I agree with that, and I still drain and clean my magnet on a fluid change (though I do follow my own, extended change interval). But the theory is there, so take it for what it's worth. I look at Sprinter vans, which use the same NAG1 as my CRD (basically a 722.6/W5A580), and I know they're not getting changed as often as they should; they still manage to go about 200k miles between rebuilds. It's a finicky transmission when it comes to fluid levels, but it's far more resilient than people give it credit. I've seen them go 100k miles between changes without extra magnets and without issues (see: every MB that shipped with a 722.6 that Mercedes said was "filled for life").
I was just curious what it did never saw one before
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarijedi View Post
It collects metallic particles that are ferromagnetic, like steel. That is all it does.

Not really worth it though. This guy made his own version using strong NeFdB magnets, and after 8000km it didn't seem to catch much.
cool vid. I bought a magnet off of ebay, I've never cut a filter open to see what it catches. Seemed like simple insurance to me.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
fishinbama
2007 WK 

Magnetic oil drain plugs are stock on some vehicles and are included in many differentials as well as most transmissions. There must be some benefit for a cost-cutting manufacturer to spend the extra dimes.
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbama View Post
Magnetic oil drain plugs are stock on some vehicles and are included in many differentials as well as most transmissions. There must be some benefit for a cost-cutting manufacturer to spend the extra dimes.
Never seen one on a auto trans but are pretty standard on manual trans.If you notice diffs and manual trans do not have oil filters,hence the magnet of the drain plug.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.