Fender Bender - JeepForum.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ruskiybro

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

Fender Bender

So this happened today.... I was turning left in the outside lane and the guy on the inside lane took the turn too wide... Luckily it was just a low speed fender bender. Nobody was hurt. I have no idea how to estimate the cost for this repair. It looks like that rear fender piece is just one piece all the way to the roof. Window and everything included. Plus the bumper. It appears to be just cosmetic. Anybody with more experience have a better idea than me?

Attached Thumbnails
20170204_092055.jpg   20170204_092101.jpg   20170204_092106.jpg  

-2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 05:50 PM
SkyLineWJ

Were you deemed at fault?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

Nope. 100% his fault. This is just me and my morbid curiosity to know what the damage is before I can get it looked at monday.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 PM
SkyLineWJ

They'll probably reskin that portion if not the whole quarter panel and replace the bumper. Tbh the dollar amount shouldn't matter to you, unless you're worrying about totaling out, which shouldn't happen given its a Limited/Hemi, unless it has an inane amount of miles. I'd say no more than $1,500, but I'm not a huge body guy, just speaking from personal previous experience. Sometimes you can get a high quote from an expensive body shop and have the insurance just send you a check and DiY it or have a buddy help and pocket some cash. And never ever deny personal injury even if you don't feel it now, could feel it the next couple days.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 PM
90grandoneer
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

That shouldn't cost too much, especially if you some of the stuff yourself......take the left rear inner fender well out and remove the bumper. Even a half way good shop should be able to pound out the fender dent and use a very minimal amount of bondo and repaint the quarter panel. I've had to have my SRT front bumper fixed a couple times and a good place can make it look like new. Just ask around your area and find someone that will do it if you bring it in to them. I have to pull the front every couple years to get the road sandblasting pits fixed and repainted. Right now I hit a little snow (ice) bank with the left front (lowered WK w/SRT body kit) and it chipped some of the paint off. Once spring gets here I'll pull it and get it fixed.

I use one of my former renters that owns a body shop that caters mostly to used car lots, and he does pretty good work at very reasonable prices compared to the mainstream body shops. (Don't think I'd take it to him for something major that insurance would pay for though. I think last time I had both bumpers repainted (two colors on both) and it cost less than $300 for both. Just took him the bumpers and the paint code and it was done in a couple days. I've also had him remove the stock license plate holder screw holes, repair a slight split after hitting a deer, and remove and fill the indented Dodge badge on my LX. Can't tell it was ever there. Maybe you can find someone like that where you live. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Kinda a crap shoot whether they'll fix that panel or reskin it.

If they have the right tools to get in there and push it back into place roughly, they'll do that and finish it with filler. Still tough to get the body line to look right with that method. Will depend on their guys' skill.

Otherwise, they'll replace the panel.

For a good shop, I'd figure you're looking at $1500+ to be honest. The bumper cover looks ok, just needs good paint work done. If it's bad, the rear bumper cover is a few hundred bucks at least.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 AM
ruskiybro
2005 WK 

The rear bumper cover can be bought new from under 200 easy. The rear metal panel is probably 100-200. The most expensive part would be getting it painted. They'll probably give you between 1k to 1.5k. Should cover the cost. When I got rear ended by two cars at a red light the insurance only gave me $600. Made them up it to $1,000 to have the dealer fix it. Should've spent the money on a new rear offroad bumper with tire swing arm... oh well.
bensylrm likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I figured I'd just give a quick update for anyone that's curious. The guy wanted to do it through his mechanic friend. Apparently this mechanic contracts out his body work to someone else who just does it on the side in his garage. Obviously I didn't feel comfortable with that, so I went out and got some quotes from a few different places. You all were right on. Every single one of them was right about $1500. We'll see how he wants to handle this, but I'm guessing he's gonna need to make an insurance claim...

post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

Well I finally got it fixed! Dropped it off last Monday, got it back today.
Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I dropped it off last week it snowed about 6" . Sunny for the whole week after and before.
During the snow storm I went from a Jeep to this:
Attached Thumbnails
20170306_141105.jpg  

post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
JeepersMister
2006 WK 

Now, don't get me wrong. I actually liked the little Chevy Cruze. It kinda grew on me. But boy did I miss my Jeep. Especially with the snow. When I got it back today I was just giddy. Happy to have the peppiness of the Hemi and everything else that comes with a jeep. (I've always driven SUVs and I just don't feel safe in little cars like that)

I must say, I'm very impressed with the work that these guys did. It looks great in person. They even covered up a small paint chip that was already there on the fuel door They really went the extra mile too, and washed the whole exterior AND interior. They even shampooed the carpet. If I ever need body work again, I know who I'm going to!
Attached Thumbnails
20170306_144400.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.