The Faz's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > The Faz's Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
TheFaz

2007 WK 

The Faz's Build Thread

Greetings all, my name is Jon and this build thread is long overdue. I've been lurking for a few years now and figured it was finally time I got my act together and posted this up. I haven't done too much that's unique, but perhaps I can give a few people some ideas. I've been very inspired by many of the rigs on here, some of which are absolutely sick.

First things first, why The Faz? Well, there's not too much of a story there besides my license plate containing the letters FAZ, which of course led friends to dub my jeep "The Faz". Anddd it stuck. Lol.

When I was younger my parents had a WJ, bone stock with a 6 banger. I enjoyed driving it and when the time came to purchase a vehicle of my own, I decided to go for the next model year which led me to purchasing a 2007 Hemi Overland fully loaded with everything except the DVD player.

Here it is in all it's stock glory with 32k on the ODO:

TheFaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
TheFaz

2007 WK 

The first mod I performed was the removal of the front air dam which I thought made it look alot better. Plus it was free. Always a bonus. I also added a 5.7L badge to the back.

Next, I decided I wanted to try to do something to make my wheels stand out a bit without going and spending a lot of money on new wheels so I ended up using a rather unique (I believe) silly putty method to paint my center hub caps:

I lined the letters with silly putty to keep them silver.

And this was the result:

While they came out well I decided this was not enough and went ahead and painted the indents black as well. Taping and sanding and papering the wheels took quite a long time and it was night by the time I put on my second coats.

Fortunately my neighbor had recently bought a TV so I stole the box to use as overspray protection.

Results were not perfect, but good enough for me.

I also purchased black lugs:
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
TheFaz

2007 WK 

Then came the exhaust purchase. I got a great deal on the SS Gibson Cat-back from Kolak. I was pretty excited when this box showed up as I knew the stock sound of the HEMI was not anywhere close to its full potential.

One thing I like specifically about the Gibson is the fit and angle of the exhaust tip as it protrudes from the back bumper. Not to mention the sound I have some phone videos if anyone is interested, but believe me when I say the REALLY do not do it any sort of justice. It is a great low rumbling sound and I would definitely recommend it. It also quiets down when you're off the gas as to not be too annoying to neighbors or quiet areas. It fits my needs, although I am toying with the idea of electric exhaust cut-outs for when I REALLY want to let the hemi roar. But it definitely has a lot of grunt when you flex it as is.

Start up/Idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqnY7wRs0SE
In cabin noise with windows down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpAgCygILU

(Also got that hitch cover which served me well for a while.)
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
TheFaz

2007 WK 

After that I decided I wanted to purchase a bull bar, so with some guidance I went for a Black Horse model. It was my first time tearing into the front end and I learned as I went that I was missing certain tools required for the job lol. You live and you learn!
Oh, yeah, the reason I had to break down the front end was to take out the factory tow hooks which I sold to a member on here a while back, maybe 2-3 years ago.

I really liked the way it looked from the front especially, even if it didn't add much utility besides light mounting points (which I will get to).
This pic gives an idea of how it sits from the side, I have since been able to move it a bit closer to the body which I think made it look a bit better. This shot was taken as I got out of my car to go into the gym one day and realized how freakin' close I parked to the wall. Lol.

This is a quick pic of the first time I went off-roading (or after the fact). Shows the bar from a different angle.

I didn't realize at the time what a monster lift/tires my friend had on that Ram. lol. I was definitely a bit silly for following him through some of the stuff, but the Jeep held it's own.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
TheFaz

2007 WK 

Next thing that happened was my WK went through it's blacked out phase. I got some black projector headlights that I never even put HIDs in (due to lack of knowledge) and also plastidipped the grille and the lower side trim. I eventually ended up taking them out due to overall less light output with standard halogens in them. (Weird huh?) The halos were no where near as bright as they appear in these pictures, i'm guessing because I never bother to wire them directly to the battery and ran them off of the running light lines.

I've considered putting them back in and actually using HID's, but I've already done the HIR upgrade and such. If anyone is interested in them, shoot me a PM, they're just collecting dust in my closet lol.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
TheFaz

2007 WK 

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED, FOR LITERALLY NO REASON AT ALL. I'm not the kind of guy that would even have beef with someone that would result in this. I was pretty pissed for about a year, and now I don't even see it. I guess having a body shop quote me $1,300 to fix it helped. They wanted to take like half my car apart to repaint lol. (The bottom scratch was already there when I bought it, so just the top one. Thankfully they're not super visible unless you're up close in direct sunlight.) A bunch of other cars near my friend's house got keyed too so it seemed like a random event. Bastards.

Anywho, I also put on some tail light guards, which I had sitting in my house for quite a while because I thought they were defective. Well, if you tried to follow the installation instructions they would have looked like garbage, so I modified them a bit, and also bent them a bunch to make them sit flush.

I also got a pretty sweet hitch mount bike rack that can hold 4 bikes

Unread 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
TheFaz

2007 WK 

After that I decided my brush guard needed some lights on it and I had always loved the design of LED light pods. Being too cheap to opt for Rigid Dually's, I found some much less expensive options from Illumination Supply. I went for their Spots as opposed to Floods. They also had the option of coming with a wiring harness which I found very helpful indeed.

I did a small write up for the wire installation because I had trouble mainly finding where people went through the firewall. Alot of people were talking about through side panels and door hinges and such. Hopefully this will help someone else. (Disclaimer: This opening may not be on all years.)
I ended up putting it through the firewall here:

There was a nice rubber grommet just waiting to be pulled out that opened up (tricky to find for me where) into under the steering column. I believe it was a bit harder for me to find because of the adjustable pedals. They seemed to be right in the way. Anyways, I didn't want to take the grommet out completely and leave all that open space for air and things to get into the cabin, so I drilled a nice small hole through the middle and took off the plastic end connector of the wiring harness and slid it through.

That connector is connected to the button you see in the last picture right next to my knee. It did not fit through the slot, so I had to go from under the steering column to feed it back through.

Then I simply hooked up their power cables with the built in fuse to the correct terminals:

Notched the red terminal cover so it could close (not very aesthetically pleasing I know lol).

Mounted up their relay to the side of the vehicle using an existing bolt. It was a bit tricky getting a wrench in there, but I managed.

Then I ran the wiring down the drivers side towards the bumper:

And because of the fact that they give you like 15 feet of wiring I decided this was the best way to handle it lol:

Got everything put back together and mounted the switch here for the time being. I just popped the cubby out because I never used it and didn't want to drill through it for no reason.

Anddddd done:
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
TheFaz

2007 WK 

Soon after that I decided to buy some LED fog lights in 5000k. I really like them, they put out a really nice bright pure white light and are not too annoying at night to keep on. Here are a few shots. (I am on the left and my friend's escape is on the right in the two car night shot.)

Anddd here's a pic with everything installed and the grille un-dipped:
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
TheFaz

2007 WK 

After that, I replaced the Jeep lettering with black jeep lettering (could have just plasti-dipped, yes) and got a decent black license plate frame, along with a rear hitch D-shackle that is really solid.

Also, I'll just add this in here. I originally purchased a K&N intake kit. But after learning of the superior nature of AMSOIL filters (clean every 30k by washing out, no oil, filters to a higher degree) I swapped out the cone filter for an AMSOIL + prefilter.

The Filter part # is EAAU6065-EA, since there are so many different sizes it took a while to locate. Hopefully this helps someone looking to upgrade. The Pre-filter part # is EAPF17-EA. They fit perfectly onto the K&N 57-1549 FIPK. Cheers.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
TheFaz

2007 WK 

And that's about the time I decided having black wheels would be cool. Soooooooooo that project got underway.
Before:

After washing the wheels off and putting newspaper in between the gaps:

Anddddddddd after:

I put about 6 or 7 coats on there, which is definately reccomended. When I went to un-dip my grille, I realized I only put two coats on and it was a HUGE pain to take it all off. You really can't over-do it with plasti dip. Also, another note, it would be much easier to use those clear plastic bags you get in the grocery store in the fruit aisles to put in between the wheel gaps than newspaper. The newspaper was hard to get in and out without scratching the dip. Just a tip.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
TheFaz

2007 WK 

And then around 7 months went by without much modding, and I found a great deal on a BRAND new set of 5 2014 Rubicon wheels and tires on Craigslist - a state over. The guy I got them from in Jersey was very nice and his wrangler was kick-***. Brand new and lifted with 35's. So I scooped these babys.

Was a bit concerned they wouldn't fit stock even after having talked to a fellow member who did the same thing lol.

I like this little touch, I suppose the dealership put them on there haha:

So anyways, I went ahead and mounted the 32's on my stock suspension WK. The tires are 255/75/17 BFG MT's.
Before:
After:

With the help of these guys and a torque wrench:

I gained two inches of lift from the tires alone measuring to the bottom of the side skirt thingymajig. 12" stock, exactly 14" with the new tires.
They do fit perfectly fine unmodified, aside from a SLIGHT rub at 3/4 turn on the pinch weld. It's really not an issue though. I was very surprised. They also cleared the UCA bolt by literally the width of like two quarters. Lol.
I drove it that way for a while and then decided to put my mind at ease and trim the bolts. Again, this is not necessary, but I feel better now.

It doesn't look it, but the end result is super smooth due to some Dremel sanding.
The tires don't leave much room for articulation as you might imagine, so my next project will be a lift Leaning towards full OME HD, possibly some sort of modified OME.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
TheFaz

2007 WK 

And that's where it sits today. I'm sure I missed a few things here and there. If you have questions about anything, feel free to ask! Thanks for reading!
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #13
Mikeb093
2008 WK 

Beautiful! Im actually very impressed at how those tires fit. Plus that Bull bar looks real nice.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
schobbs
2009 WK 

Looks good w/ the Rubicon wheels/tires!

If you don't me asking what did you give for them? I'm sure different markets are priced differently, but I'm going to be in need of new tires in the next 3-6 months and I've been thinking of going ahead and upgrading wheels/tires at the same time.
schobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
TheFaz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb093 View Post
Beautiful! Im actually very impressed at how those tires fit. Plus that Bull bar looks real nice.
Thanks! I really can't believe they don't have issues haha. Although they do tend to rub on the top of the wheel wells if you hit a big speed bump really fast. But normal speed I have no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schobbs View Post
Looks good w/ the Rubicon wheels/tires!

If you don't me asking what did you give for them? I'm sure different markets are priced differently, but I'm going to be in need of new tires in the next 3-6 months and I've been thinking of going ahead and upgrading wheels/tires at the same time.
Thanks . I don't mind. I payed 900 for 5 wheels and tires. I think it was a pretty good deal, especially considering how much I like the wheel design. Also, they are literally brand new. 4 of them had 200 miles on them and the spare had 0. I'd definitely keep an eye out on craigslist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.