Exhaust Upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Exhaust Upgrade

Since the SRT-8 uses the same engine block as the Limited, shouldn't someone be able to use performance headers designed for the SRT-8 on a Limited 5.7L? What would be keeping that someone from modifying an entire SRT-8 exhaust system to fit a 5.7L?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 PM
MarkoPo

2005 WK 

You can put a SRT exhaust on your Jeep. You will need to get a new back bumper, and ditch the trailor towig package if your Jeep has one.

05 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi
06 pontiac Torrent AWD
96 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 newest edition to the family.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
post #3 of 18 Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Serbonze
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Does anyone know of an aftermarket exhaust system/muffler for a 2008?

2008 Grand Cherokee
2001 Wrangler

post #4 of 18 Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo
You can put a SRT exhaust on your Jeep. You will need to get a new back bumper, and ditch the trailor towig package if your Jeep has one.
...and the spare, too, I believe.

2006 Bright Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo
3.7L 4WD ("mostly" stock)
post #5 of 18 Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Scottina06

2006 WK 

SRT exhaust and headers are different from the 5.7. I do have an srt exhaust on my truck though. The exhaust shop just modified the srt setup to fit. Awesome sound and no droning.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottina06
SRT exhaust and headers are different from the 5.7. I do have an srt exhaust on my truck though. The exhaust shop just modified the srt setup to fit. Awesome sound and no droning.
How extensive were the modifications? I was planning on have a shop modify the exit so that I can still tow. Plus I would intend to avoid extensive bumper work.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
robpp

And dont forget to leave your spare tire at home too. The SRT exhaust occupies the space of the spare.

Rob

Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
post #8 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp
And dont forget to leave your spare tire at home too. The SRT exhaust occupies the space of the spare.

Rob
Ideally I would like to modify the exhaust so that it does not meet at the center. Either re-route the tubes to come out on each side of the bumper, or run them side by side straight out the passenger side. I would not want to sacrifice my towing abilities and for the time being AEV hasn't developed a rear tire mount so the spare will have to stay under the car.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter8
Ideally I would like to modify the exhaust so that it does not meet at the center. Either re-route the tubes to come out on each side of the bumper, or run them side by side straight out the passenger side. I would not want to sacrifice my towing abilities and for the time being AEV hasn't developed a rear tire mount so the spare will have to stay under the car.
With that many modifications, why bother with the SRT exhaust? Why not just have a good muffler shop fab up a system with some good headers and mufflers? Seems like more trouble to retrofit, but maybe I'm wrong.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
robpp

Here is a link to the JU site. This dude Taz has something you are talking about.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hlight=exhaust

Good Luck,
Rob

Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
post #11 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgaffer
With that many modifications, why bother with the SRT exhaust? Why not just have a good muffler shop fab up a system with some good headers and mufflers? Seems like more trouble to retrofit, but maybe I'm wrong.
You may be right on the money. The reason I was initially leaning towards a modified "SRT-8" exhaust was for the proven performance of this system. You can't argue that an SRT-8 maximizes the potential of the Grand Cherokee Hemi.

Another problem is that I would have to put alot more trust in the exhaust shop, and I have not had such experience yet with any shops in my area.

On a side note. I am not familiar with all the technicalities associated between the exhaust system and the computer system (o2 sensors and such). Is there a chance I will get any error messages after mods like this?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter8
You may be right on the money. The reason I was initially leaning towards a modified "SRT-8" exhaust was for the proven performance of this system. You can't argue that an SRT-8 maximizes the potential of the Grand Cherokee Hemi.
While this is true, if you look on SRT8 forums, I think you'll find a lot of those guys are swapping out exhaust/headers to 'better' ones (Borla, etc.). So, you might just want to look at performance exhaust that is designed for the 5.7L.

Just a thought.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgaffer
While this is true, if you look on SRT8 forums, I think you'll find a lot of those guys are swapping out exhaust/headers to 'better' ones (Borla, etc.). So, you might just want to look at performance exhaust that is designed for the 5.7L.

Just a thought.
I was originally going that direction but I really wanted a true dual exhaust and all of the 5.7L performance exhaust systems ran as the side swept single exhaust.

On that note, does anyone know if the SRT-8 compliant headers will fit directly to the 5.7L block? I am hoping at least the headers won't require modification, otherwise I might as well have an exhaust shop do a complete custom job.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
robpp

Scottina06 said no on the headers above.

I dont know for sure but I think they have the same block. So not sure Y he said no. But Scott has done or tried it all and has a wealth of knowledge.

I looked around at the Header MFG sites, Borla, Dougs, Hooker, and also some of the SRT* sites that sell the 6.1 headers. None of them showed any compatability with the 5.7s.

Up above in earlier post I gave you a link in an earlier post to the Blue site where someone shows a custom dual exhaust that works around the spare. Have you looked at that?

That might be the way to go. Go to a local muffler shop and ask if they would build you something custom. Even Meinecke and Midas now sell Magnaflow mufflers.

Good Luck,
Rob

post #15 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp
Scottina06 said no on the headers above.

I dont know for sure but I think they have the same block. So not sure Y he said no. But Scott has done or tried it all and has a wealth of knowledge.
Scott has the 4.7L, so that's why they don't fit his. That doesn't mean the headers from the 6.1 will/won't fit the 5.7, though. I have no idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.