Exhaust header to Ypipe flange gasket? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoise View Post
....... The sound usually is usually only heard from the drivers side. Passenger side it sounded fine.....After driving it he did hear it but couldn't understand what was leaking. He momentarily blocked off the exhaust while I listened for hissing. And there was none.

My question is... WTH?? Lol.
Could it be the EGR?
Could it be the mani to mid pipe flange needs re-torquing?
It doesn't seem to leak there though.

I've heard others say after they replaced their EGR their engine got a lot quieter.

Any ideas???
1. See my 03/07/17 post regarding flange tightening.
2. EGR valve is normally closed at idle and at closed throttle deceleration.
3. When I get a small air leak in the exhaust, I get an oxygen sensor slow response from the front sensor on the side where the leak occurs. Did you get any set or pending codes (like P0133)?

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
zenoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Quote:
....... The sound usually is usually only heard from the drivers side. Passenger side it sounded fine.....After driving it he did hear it but couldn't understand what was leaking. He momentarily blocked off the exhaust while I listened for hissing. And there was none.

My question is... WTH?? Lol.
Could it be the EGR?
Could it be the mani to mid pipe flange needs re-torquing?
It doesn't seem to leak there though.

I've heard others say after they replaced their EGR their engine got a lot quieter.

Any ideas???
1. See my 03/07/17 post regarding flange tightening.
2. EGR valve is normally closed at idle and at closed throttle deceleration.
3. When I get a small air leak in the exhaust, I get an oxygen sensor slow response from the front sensor on the side where the leak occurs. Did you get any set or pending codes (like P0133)?
The exhaust leak is happening during accelation and low rpm cruising.... that I can hear...

I have a wireless OBD2 reader app and I used to get a pending "slow 02 response" code before the manifold gaskets were done but never a permanent code (CEL). Now that the gaskets are done. I don't even get a pending code. And I monitor the up stream 02 sensors voltage and it's normal.

So I really don't think it's the manifold gaskets.... due to everything stated in my earlier posts...

I'm soon to retorque the flanges but I don't feel it's that because when we blocked the tailpipe there was no hissing or anything coming from there....

I'm thinking EGR. But I'm obviously up for other opinions or guesses.

Thank you.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
The exhaust leak is happening during accelation and low rpm cruising.... that I can hear...

..I used to get a pending "slow 02 response" code before the manifold gaskets were done but never a permanent code (CEL). Now that the gaskets are done. I don't even get a pending code. And I monitor the up stream 02 sensors voltage and it's normal....
I'm thinking EGR. But I'm obviously up for other opinions or guesses.

Thank you.
My front O2 sensor slow response codes (e.g., P0133) always appear as "pending", never "set". A pending P-series DTC disables MDS while it is still pending. The codes re-set after 3 normal starts.
Dealer tells me that really big and really small exhaust leaks can cause these codes. He also had a 2008 5.7L HEMI Durango with the same symptoms. [Durango owner finally gave up and sold it.]

I do not idle the HEMI too long on cold start, because the code will appear as pending. Then, I have to finish that trip w/o MDS -or- stop, reset the code, and re-start the engine to get MDS back.

Not sure how the EGR valve could cause these DTC's to set. Remember that the EGR valve draws from the RHS manifold and discharges to the intake manifold (next to the PCV valve tubing on the front RHS). I hardly ever get a slow response front O2 sensor code on the RHS.

My O2 sensors were replaced several times as we worked through this issue in the first 70K miles. Thus, I can rule out faulty sensors.

Replacing the EGR valve will not hurt. Be extra careful of the little rubber grommet on the end of the metal tube at the intake manifold inlet (or buy a new one and have it as a spare). Someone once posted that they are ~$7.00 and are a dealer item. Check. They may come with the new valve, but I doubt it. The large gasket at the base of the EGR valve probably does, but check that also.

Don't know if this info is any help, but it is what I went through. Let us know how you turn out.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.