evap help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > evap help!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Dfoxx09
2005 WK 

evap help!

Hey guys

I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7L stock.

I have fought with p0446 fixed with new TB

Just fixed P0441 by changing the LDP.

But 200 miles later I got P0456????

Let me tell ya i have been fighting evap leak since 02 with my dodge ram 1500.. and it continues to stump me....

I have a brand new LDP and gas cap(always tighten to 4 clicks) and i never fill with the jeep running and i always stop filling when it clicks.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Dfoxx09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

The code you're getting is for a small evap leak. It's partner in crime is the 0455 gross evap leak. Both can be a nightmare to track down. The evap leaks are fairly common over on the XJ side - but those are older models with typically more worn out parts/lines.

Best thing I could recommend is to give all the evap components and lines and connections a good lookover. A small leak could indicate a minor crack or pinhole in a line or connection. There should also be a green cap (access port used for smoke testing usually tagged with a 1psi max) at the purge solenoid. Check that the cap is tightened all the way.

Many cases getting a smoke test is your best bet from what I read. I've been trying to track down a gross leak 0455 on my XJ for over a year now to no avail. However, other than possible issues getting the rig to pass emissions regs, the emissions evap leaks really shouldn't effect how the rig runs. For this reason, I haven't dedicated a lot of time trying to fix it. It also hasn't prohibited getting my tags for the Jeep.

Other thing I can think of is to disco the battery for 10 minutes or so to reset the code and see if it comes back. You mentioned replacing the Leak detection pump and gas cap but sometimes if the code isn't reset it will still pop the check engine light.

Good luck.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Dfoxx09
2005 WK 

Thanks bud ill be going over it all tomorrow. I have a code reader and erased all codes it just funny to me, that I fixed 2 different codes and within a few hundred miles it pops up with a new one...

Well thanks for your help!! I'll post back with a solution if found!
Dfoxx09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
modernblueWK

Look at the hard plastic lines (shiny black) that run to the evap vacuum pump under the hood. They crack from age.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.