etp's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > etp's Build Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
cby7715
2005 WK 

How's the highway road noise (65-75mph) with those tires?

Can you still carry on a conversation without shouting?

07 JK Sahara: 2" RC Spacer Lift...33x12.50 BFG A/T KO's...Black Mesh Grill
cby7715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
Thanks Guys! Omelete, do you have a write up on how you put that light bar in the matrix?
Actually no, I didn't take any pics as I was doing it I basically took a 20" Rigid E series (kind of pricey unless you can find one used) and mounted it right in the middle of the crossbar on the Matrix. Then I drilled new holes for the crossbar and the two vertical sides so the front and top edges would be flush instead of recessed like it normally is. That gave my just enough room to mount the Matrix back up in front of the bumper. The back of the light touches the bumper, but thats no big deal.

If you are looking for cheaper upgrades this is probably not the one to look into. The light bar new is $500 and the Matrix is $330. But if this is one you want to go for, let me know and I will disassemble it and get better pics

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
etp

That looks so sick! I think I'll probably do the winch first, and then the ROLA. I found some decent looking Korean light bars for $150. I might give them a try mounted right below the roof rack.
05 Laredo WK - 3.7L QT1 - OME HD 3" - 245/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities - Graphite MOAB Rims - 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers - K&N 77 CAI - SCT Tuner w/ 93 Octane - Fastman TB - Magnaflow Exhaust - Infinity Kappa Speakers w/JVC KDR-820BT
etp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
Woodsygcl
2006 WK 

Lookin good brother! Hoorah for another young guy haha I feel ya on the 17 year old income part haha
Blue Jeep Club Member #6 XK/WK Club Member #14
Woodsygcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
etp

Thanks man! It'll get better once school ends!
05 Laredo WK - 3.7L QT1 - OME HD 3" - 245/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities - Graphite MOAB Rims - 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers - K&N 77 CAI - SCT Tuner w/ 93 Octane - Fastman TB - Magnaflow Exhaust - Infinity Kappa Speakers w/JVC KDR-820BT
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Robb286
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp
Sounds excellent, like a stock V8 or HEMI (I know I know... I wish). I can upload a video for you if you'd like!
Hell yeah if you could. A vid inside your rig driving or a drive by would definitely help.
Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
etp

Well, I just got some funding for the next step - would you guys go for the Matrix brush guard (Basic One) or a Rola Roof Rack? The Matrix would look pretty sick, but so would the Roof Rack. As you can see, I don't have recovery points, so the Matrix might be a better option first. What are your opinions on trimming bumpers?
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
etp

Big surprise coming in about two days! Haven't seen this work done on the forums before. Definitely excited.
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
etp

Wow! It's been a while since I've posted on here, so now for some BIG updates!!

Ive done quite a few mods since my last post, so here we go - Expanded Sheet Metal Grill, Fog Lights Installation, Truck Bed Lined the rear steps and door jams, Weathertech Mats (LOVE THEM!), and last, but certainly not least - Katkzkin custom full leather interior!

I dont have the interior pictures right now because it is pouring outside tonight, but I can get them tomorrow! Anyways, here are some pictures from when I took her wheeling for the first real time this weekend. The QT1 did great for it's limitations and 245/75 tires. I believe with some wider Nitto Trail Grapplers or Duratracs it would've worked perfectly. Only had to be winched once - got stuck on a muddy hill with no exposed tread on my tires and started sliding towards a cliff but I think I could've made it with the treads exposed.

Let me know what you think, and I have a few mods in the process I need some advice on and will be posing soon!
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
etp

Okay, so the next mod on the table will most likely be a ROLA Rack and 30" LED Light Bar, for those that have ran this setup, how many MPG did you see drop after you installed it? I've read many conflicting reports.

Next, a much more labor intensive task, is a winch setup. Now, I love Omelet's design of the integral winch, but I want the ability to easily apply pressure and watch it feed back into the spool so it doesn't bind up, and want to keep the cable in the best condition possible. This leads me to a few options I have been considering and want your opinions.

1. Mount a winch upside down on the bottom of the cross member so that the cable comes out of the "bottom hole" in the front bumper. The problem I see with this is the dynamic strength of the pressed metal cross member, which worries me. Is this option even feasible?

2. Use a hitch mounted system so that the winch can be placed on either the front or rear of the vehicle. None of the current plates/systems are appealing to me, so this would mean fabrication of a new winch plate and attachment. Is this something feasible? I think it would be cool to have the winch nest into the "cradle" in the center of the front bumper, and put some steel plates along the sides to make it look much better? I a working on a draft right now for an example, ETA within the week. However, how will the hitch option fare when I have a 9k pound winch working overdrive? Will I have any warping on the attachment points?
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp
Okay, so the next mod on the table will most likely be a ROLA Rack and 30" LED Light Bar, for those that have ran this setup, how many MPG did you see drop after you installed it? I've read many conflicting reports.

Next, a much more labor intensive task, is a winch setup. Now, I love Omelet's design of the integral winch, but I want the ability to easily apply pressure and watch it feed back into the spool so it doesn't bind up, and want to keep the cable in the best condition possible. This leads me to a few options I have been considering and want your opinions.

1. Mount a winch upside down on the bottom of the cross member so that the cable comes out of the "bottom hole" in the front bumper. The problem I see with this is the dynamic strength of the pressed metal cross member, which worries me. Is this option even feasible?

2. Use a hitch mounted system so that the winch can be placed on either the front or rear of the vehicle. None of the current plates/systems are appealing to me, so this would mean fabrication of a new winch plate and attachment. Is this something feasible? I think it would be cool to have the winch nest into the "cradle" in the center of the front bumper, and put some steel plates along the sides to make it look much better? I a working on a draft right now for an example, ETA within the week. However, how will the hitch option fare when I have a 9k pound winch working overdrive? Will I have any warping on the attachment points?
You could fab your own mount, but you cannot mount to the existing crossmember. That will have to be replaced if you go hidden at all. Also, I can easily see my winch spool in and apply pressure because I can see it through the grill.

A hitch mounted winch is an option, but don't forget they are heavy and it will affect your approach/departure angle if left on while wheeling.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

^^^What he said! I can see the drum either through the grill or by looking straight down the hole I cut for the clutch lever access.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

ETP, great build you have going here! I feel your pain with the income as I am 17 as well, most of my mods have been put to a halt due to a tiny income and hockey 6 days a week. Been purchasing parts for the LED rock light mod and a custom fuse box with the Saguaro 5 Switch Panel all winter. A couple questions,

1) What are you getting for MPG? I am running 265 MT with no performance enhancements and I'm getting 12 MPG pretty much all the time.

2) You think the Magnaflow is worth it? I don't know how much is costs but I imagine it's pricey? Wondering if it would be worth investing in.

3) Hows the Katkzkin interior?! Did you have leather before the install or cloth? I have leather now and I have no complaints but it'd be really cool to see that interior.

Thanks in advance for any answers man like I said awesome build keep it going!
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
etp

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into doing the hidden winch. Where did you cut the hole for the release lever, Omelet?

Theogriff, I am getting about 16 in the City, and 19-23 on the interstate depending on what speed. Now, the Magnaflow is great! I love it. It personally think it is worth the money because it is coupled with the K&N CAI. I got the muffler and a dual walled tip for about $270 installed. The Katzkin is AWESOME! Great quality stuff, as I had the horrible cloth interior before. Hope it helps!
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #30
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Thanks ETP, very reassuring to hear your getting that kid of mileage. Glad your happy with the new interior must be sweet!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.