Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

etp's Build Thread

15K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  robswk 
#1 ·
Well, I regret not taking pictures since I got my Jeep, but Ive got some from a while back. The work in this post has been done over the course of about two years, mainly because my 17 year old income can't do it any faster, hah! So anyways, here we go!

It came home with me as a stock 2005 White 3.7L WK with QT1 (AWD).

It stayed stock for about a year until I added the OME HD lift kit, and Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires (Got em' for $500 installed OTD - a steal IMO)!

Next, I installed a new JVC headunit (KDR-820BT), Infinity Speakers, a Sound Ordnance (love it for the money) amp, and ran all new heavy duty speaker wire - sorry, no pictures. I got really frustrated with that one!

Then came the K&N 77 CAI, Fastman TB, SCT Preformance Tuner, and Magnaflow Exhaust!

Finally, I bought a set of Carbon Satin Rubicon wheels form a guy with a black JK, and mounted my Goodyears on em. During that same time, I added spidertrax spacers and did the pinch weld mod.

And that is how she sits now! I want to make it more agressive looking but am having trouble with some ideas - so throw em at me! Also, I am trying to find white door handles and chrome trim, so if anybody knows a good place, let me know!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds excellent, like a stock V8 or HEMI (I know I know... I wish). I can upload a video for you if you'd like!

#5 ·
Video on the way - what do you think I could do to make it more "agressive" looking?

#6 ·
And does the Magna Flow have a model Number?

#8 ·
I was hoping you would chime in Omelete! Im actually hoping to fab up your famous winch plate as soon as i can find a shop who can lay some welds fairly cheap, the steel is already covered! Can you tell a difference in MPGs with a ROLA roof rack installed? Ive heard every answer under the rainbow and can't seem to get something straightforward.

#9 ·
Oh ya there you go! That will add to the look and function quite nicely. I actually have the Gobi rack not the Rola, though I am sure the aerodynamics are similar. But I am the last person to ask about that :) I don't pay enough attention to my gas mileage to tell. I can say that there is an increase in wind noise, not bad just noticeable. Another thing you could do is mount 4 slim lights to your stock crossbar. That would be cheap yet functional and still add to the aggressive look.

#11 ·
Do you have a link to the lights mounted in the crossbar?

#13 ·
I have the Rola rack installed on my 3.7, also have a bike rack and ski rack on top, and got 19.2 average mpg going about 70 for 300 miles today. Not too bad! Before the rack I was getting about 20, so not too much of a difference. I also have the K&N, so I figure you can expect similar results. As far as making the Jeep look more aggressive, I would add some fogs into the factory slots (personally I can't stand the black plastic spacers) and a front skid, followed by a front guard of some sort. The 4XGuard matrix is really nice, it's on my list of things to (eventually) purchase. I like the way you're heading with your WK! :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Thanks Guys! Omelete, do you have a write up on how you put that light bar in the matrix?

#17 ·
Actually no, I didn't take any pics as I was doing it :nono: I basically took a 20" Rigid E series (kind of pricey unless you can find one used) and mounted it right in the middle of the crossbar on the Matrix. Then I drilled new holes for the crossbar and the two vertical sides so the front and top edges would be flush instead of recessed like it normally is. That gave my just enough room to mount the Matrix back up in front of the bumper. The back of the light touches the bumper, but thats no big deal.

If you are looking for cheaper upgrades this is probably not the one to look into. The light bar new is $500 and the Matrix is $330. But if this is one you want to go for, let me know and I will disassemble it and get better pics :D

#16 ·
How's the highway road noise (65-75mph) with those tires?

Can you still carry on a conversation without shouting?

#18 ·
That looks so sick! I think I'll probably do the winch first, and then the ROLA. I found some decent looking Korean light bars for $150. I might give them a try mounted right below the roof rack.

#19 ·
Lookin good brother! Hoorah for another young guy haha I feel ya on the 17 year old income part haha

#20 ·
Thanks man! It'll get better once school ends!

#22 ·
Well, I just got some funding for the next step - would you guys go for the Matrix brush guard (Basic One) or a Rola Roof Rack? The Matrix would look pretty sick, but so would the Roof Rack. As you can see, I don't have recovery points, so the Matrix might be a better option first. What are your opinions on trimming bumpers?

#23 ·
Big surprise coming in about two days! Haven't seen this work done on the forums before. Definitely excited.

#24 ·
Wow! It's been a while since I've posted on here, so now for some BIG updates!!

Ive done quite a few mods since my last post, so here we go - Expanded Sheet Metal Grill, Fog Lights Installation, Truck Bed Lined the rear steps and door jams, Weathertech Mats (LOVE THEM!), and last, but certainly not least - Katkzkin custom full leather interior!

I dont have the interior pictures right now because it is pouring outside tonight, but I can get them tomorrow! Anyways, here are some pictures from when I took her wheeling for the first real time this weekend. The QT1 did great for it's limitations and 245/75 tires. I believe with some wider Nitto Trail Grapplers or Duratracs it would've worked perfectly. Only had to be winched once - got stuck on a muddy hill with no exposed tread on my tires and started sliding towards a cliff :eek: but I think I could've made it with the treads exposed.

Let me know what you think, and I have a few mods in the process I need some advice on and will be posing soon!

#25 ·
Okay, so the next mod on the table will most likely be a ROLA Rack and 30" LED Light Bar, for those that have ran this setup, how many MPG did you see drop after you installed it? I've read many conflicting reports.

Next, a much more labor intensive task, is a winch setup. Now, I love Omelet's design of the integral winch, but I want the ability to easily apply pressure and watch it feed back into the spool so it doesn't bind up, and want to keep the cable in the best condition possible. This leads me to a few options I have been considering and want your opinions.

1. Mount a winch upside down on the bottom of the cross member so that the cable comes out of the "bottom hole" in the front bumper. The problem I see with this is the dynamic strength of the pressed metal cross member, which worries me. Is this option even feasible?

2. Use a hitch mounted system so that the winch can be placed on either the front or rear of the vehicle. None of the current plates/systems are appealing to me, so this would mean fabrication of a new winch plate and attachment. Is this something feasible? I think it would be cool to have the winch nest into the "cradle" in the center of the front bumper, and put some steel plates along the sides to make it look much better? I a working on a draft right now for an example, ETA within the week. However, how will the hitch option fare when I have a 9k pound winch working overdrive? Will I have any warping on the attachment points?

#26 ·
etp said:
Okay, so the next mod on the table will most likely be a ROLA Rack and 30" LED Light Bar, for those that have ran this setup, how many MPG did you see drop after you installed it? I've read many conflicting reports.

Next, a much more labor intensive task, is a winch setup. Now, I love Omelet's design of the integral winch, but I want the ability to easily apply pressure and watch it feed back into the spool so it doesn't bind up, and want to keep the cable in the best condition possible. This leads me to a few options I have been considering and want your opinions.

1. Mount a winch upside down on the bottom of the cross member so that the cable comes out of the "bottom hole" in the front bumper. The problem I see with this is the dynamic strength of the pressed metal cross member, which worries me. Is this option even feasible?

2. Use a hitch mounted system so that the winch can be placed on either the front or rear of the vehicle. None of the current plates/systems are appealing to me, so this would mean fabrication of a new winch plate and attachment. Is this something feasible? I think it would be cool to have the winch nest into the "cradle" in the center of the front bumper, and put some steel plates along the sides to make it look much better? I a working on a draft right now for an example, ETA within the week. However, how will the hitch option fare when I have a 9k pound winch working overdrive? Will I have any warping on the attachment points?
You could fab your own mount, but you cannot mount to the existing crossmember. That will have to be replaced if you go hidden at all. Also, I can easily see my winch spool in and apply pressure because I can see it through the grill.

A hitch mounted winch is an option, but don't forget they are heavy and it will affect your approach/departure angle if left on while wheeling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.