ESP BAS Traction light on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > ESP BAS Traction light on

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
DVB
2006 WK 

ESP BAS Traction light on

I have these lights going on/off now for about a month. They don't blink they just stay on for a while and then turn off and then back on the next day. I don't feel any difference in handling or performance. The few things I found on here were a possible bad speed sensor. Any other suggestions? I'm doing an oil change this weekend so if there is anything in particular I can check while I'm down there let me know.

Unread 08-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

9 times out of 10 is a wheel speed sensor going bad. If you take it to autozone or advanced you can get a code read and you can determine which one it is.

Just had mine do the same thing, it was going bad for about a month and I finally got it fixed
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
DVB
2006 WK 

Thanks Bones. Do they use a different reader to check the code?
Unread 08-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

I took it to a shop and had them change it out, but any code reader will do. You can even do the "Key Dance" to get any code as well, no need to go to a store.
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

Just a trick that worked on mine, when I first got my wk it did the same thing, someone on here told me to start it, turn the wheel to the right full cut, hold it for about 5 seconds then to the left and hold it for about 5 seconds, and about a 1/4 mile down the road it went off, hasn't been back on since
sheepdog918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
DVB
2006 WK 

The key dance didn't work, I may have other issues though. Last night I noticed a noise, let's see, how do I describe it... it's the kind of sound you might hear if there's a plastic wrapper stuck on your wheel and you can just slightly hear it each time it goes around. It's not really loud though, I happen to have the radio off and was on a quiet street. I thought it might have been a rock or something but I didn't see anything. Would a going bad wheel bearing sound like that?
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Fast55
2010 WK 

Possibly, or a plastic wrapper actually stuck in there somewhere.

Maybe time to throw it on a lift and give it a once over. I vote wheel speed sensor for the lights. I've got one that throws the lights now and 1-2 key on/off cycles and it clears itself so I haven't bothered with it yet.
Fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

I could imagine hat it may be a wheel bearing, you could take it to any tire shop and they should be able to tell ya if it is or not, or yes you could have a plastic wrapper stuck in there somewhere lol
Unread 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
DVB
2006 WK 

Yeah, I'm beginning to think It may have been something stuck in there that I couldn't see. I've been trying to listen for it again but haven't heard anything. I think the ESP BAS thing has me a little paranoid. I'll be underneath it this weekend so I'll see what I can find. Hopefully Autozone can be helpful with the code, not holding my breath though. Thanks guys.
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

They should've put a sticker beside the airbag warning label that says "warning lights and trouble codes may cause paranoia" lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.