esp acting up after ome hd instal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > esp acting up after ome hd instal

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
ChrisMartin921
2006 WK 

esp acting up after ome hd install

I installed the ome hd lift on my 06 grand Cherokee and had it aligned after the install. I also put 17x8 xd series wheels with 35 offset and 265-70-17 terra grapplers. I was getting on the highway and was going about 30mph on the on ramp and the traction control came on and the ESP grabbed the front brake but I wasnt sliding. Any way the esp can be reworked to not be so sensitive?

Last edited by ChrisMartin921; 03-05-2014 at 09:24 PM..
ChrisMartin921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
fafafofi

2006 WK 

Read the "JK rubi take offs" thread. A few of is talking about that there. My guess is need for lift specific UCAs to help with alignment but I'm no expert. Let me know if you start getting a squeak from the ball joints. I have a theory it happens at full lift before the need for a super lift
fafafofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This is a common issue. IMO more common in the 4.7s as the QTII system also uses the btc to limit wheel slip (this on top of esp). Could be wrong........

Several have suggested disabling the esp. Personally I'd just keep a close eye on specifically when the rig does this and note your turn radius and speed - then adjust driving style accordingly.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
skibum555
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
This is a common issue. IMO more common in the 4.7s as the QTII system also uses the btc to limit wheel slip (this on top of esp). Could be wrong........

Several have suggested disabling the esp. Personally I'd just keep a close eye on specifically when the rig does this and note your turn radius and speed - then adjust driving style accordingly.

Yep, I started the Rubi Take off thread and since I started taking it a little easier I haven't had any issues with it. My 05 QDII only freaks out if I take a slight curve at speed. I have just toned down my aggressive entry into corners and no ESP!!! another option would be to drive around with my ESP off...but I never remember to push the darn button.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Did you reprogram the tire size? And if you did, did you measure the effective radius of the tire to determine the "actual" size that the computer should be programmed to?
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
BAH101
2008 WK 

I have the same size tires, (different type though) with OME lift and never had an issue with traction control. I wonder if you have a bad sensor, or a partially disconnected sensor plug from installation. Might be a good place to start.
Unread 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
trax95008
2006 XK Commander 

The issue is tire size. The computer needs to be told your actual tire size, so that it knows your actual speed. The problem is that with larger tires, you going faster than the computer knows. So when you take a turn, the gyroscope measures a certain amount of yaw, and because the computer thinks your going slower, that's too much yaw for the speed and thinks your about to roll over. Telling it you have larger tires, it knows your actually going faster, and that amount of yaw is normal for that speed
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
skibum555
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
The issue is tire size. The computer needs to be told your actual tire size, so that it knows your actual speed. The problem is that with larger tires, you going faster than the computer knows. So when you take a turn, the gyroscope measures a certain amount of yaw, and because the computer thinks your going slower, that's too much yaw for the speed and thinks your about to roll over. Telling it you have larger tires, it knows your actually going faster, and that amount of yaw is normal for that speed
For the win!! I was second guessing myself about where the confusion was occurring as far as the stability system... it's that damn YAW.... lol thanks man. This will put my worries to rest. Now to find find a used superchip or other tuner.
MEMBER #105
skibum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
ChrisMartin921
2006 WK 

I used the flashpaq 3872 to calibrate the speedo. And yes I measured the tires to find correct size
06 grand Cherokee 4.7L. OME HD lift, XD series heist 17x8 35offset wheels, 265-70-17 terra grapplers, Superchips 3872 with trans tune. K&N filter, interior l.e.d.'s, custom l.e.d. lighting in headliner.
ChrisMartin921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum555 View Post
Yep, I started the Rubi Take off thread and since I started taking it a little easier I haven't had any issues with it. My 05 QDII only freaks out if I take a slight curve at speed. I have just toned down my aggressive entry into corners and no ESP!!! another option would be to drive around with my ESP off...but I never remember to push the darn button.

Its inherant to our Jeeps. I have the exact same thing above with twice the lift + the EGR module. Just gotta take them ramps slow.

Its also fun when you hit 50 way out of alignment with your steering wheel at 2o'clock going dead straight. ESP freaks out and disables itself.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.