Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Engine Swap

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
jeepkid60

Engine Swap

Hi everyone. If I were to take a 3.7l Grand Cherokee, take the engine out of that one, can I then put a 5.7l Hemi engine in there? Like will the stock transmission in the Jeep be the same as one with a 5.7l Hemi? Thanks.

jeepkid60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
stanton3
2007 WK 

Nope, it has a different trans. Most everyone on here is going to say trade it in for one with the 5.7 already in it.
2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"]Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
jeepkid60

ahh man. ok thanks
jeepkid60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanton3 View Post
Nope, it has a different trans. Most everyone on here is going to say trade it in for one with the 5.7 already in it.
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Parts are the easy part,the electronics is the nightmare and the big $$$$.Plus you just killed any type of warranty and any sort of resale value.
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

I say go for it.

Just hope you have enough money to complete the swap.

Anything is possible with enough money and time.
Unread 08-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
corby417
2006 WK 

I saw somewhere a guy replaced his 5.7 with the SRT's 6.1. I know it's not quite what you are wanting to do but it can be done. Good luck.
corby417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

You could be the first to do a WK gas to diesel conversion....

BRAND NEW Mercedes-Benz OM642 Turbo Diesel engine WOW!: eBay Motors (item 170501039357 end time Sep-14-10 02:50:00 PDT)
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
ImportGuyR34
2005 WK 

How would you go about doing a gas to diesel conver?
ImportGuyR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
stanton3
2007 WK 

Its still just to easy to trade it in and buy a wk crd with a diesel already in it. Go for it if you have the money, its just going to be expensive.
2007 WK 4x4 | OME HD 3" Lift | OME Shocks front + rear | 265/70/17 BFG All Terrains | 1.25" Wheel Spacers on stock wheels | Saguaro4xcomponents 5/8" Front recovery shackles | Aries Taillight Guards | PIAA 510 fogs in stock location | Midland 1001z Cb | Mopar Rear recovery hook | Rola Roof Rack |2 Hella 500ffs mounted behind grill | Firestick 3' Antenna | Saguaro Antenna Mount | Front Bumper Cut/Fender Trim | OEM Front suspension skid | 4xguard Front skid | Rusty's .5" Front Spacer | Lots more to come

[SIZE="3"]Want to buy: 4xguard Rear Guard[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stanton3s-build-wk-1134656/"]My Build[/URL][/SIZE]

[B][COLOR="Gray"]
[SIZE="3"][URL="http://wrjeepclub.com/"]Warner Robins Jeep Club[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
stanton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportGuyR34 View Post
How would you go about doing a gas to diesel conver?
The engine/tranny fitting would not be the big thing. Even running new fuel lines and tank would not be that big a deal.

Wiring harnesses/ecms would be a big deal. Buying the Diesel Particulate Filter would be a big deal...

These are things just off the top of my head.

Probably cheaper to buy a used CRD, but that is going to be anywhere from 23000 to 35000...according to autotrader.com
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Acidcold
2005 WK 

It's simple to do the swap, don't be like every other lame dude and look for the easiest way out, buy yourself a nice Non MDS 5.7 from a Ram and find a trans from a wrecked vehicle and your done! electronics aren't all that hard on a non MDS engine.

This is why us IFS folks get made fun of, people on here are not "think outside the box" folks, they want what every other WK has since it's a "proven" part and would not in a million years try something completely different.
And who cares about warranty?? i didn't, mechanics are to stupid to work on a vehicle without there guide books on these newer vehicles, you have to go to a dealer just to find a certified mechanic with the skills to get the WK running almost right.

Who knows how long it's been since i have seen a real Jeeper! 95% of the people with lifted WK's consider them self Jeepers but have no clue on how to swap out a rear shock! let alone ask them for simple advice on a engine overhaul.

Sad sad...
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
It's simple to do the swap, don't be like every other lame dude and look for the easiest way out, buy yourself a nice Non MDS 5.7 from a Ram and find a trans from a wrecked vehicle and your done! electronics aren't all that hard on a non MDS engine.

This is why us IFS folks get made fun of, people on here are not "think outside the box" folks, they want what every other WK has since it's a "proven" part and would not in a million years try something completely different.
And who cares about warranty?? i didn't, mechanics are to stupid to work on a vehicle without there guide books on these newer vehicles, you have to go to a dealer just to find a certified mechanic with the skills to get the WK running almost right.

Who knows how long it's been since i have seen a real Jeeper! 95% of the people with lifted WK's consider them self Jeepers but have no clue on how to swap out a rear shock! let alone ask them for simple advice on a engine overhaul.

Sad sad...

good point not gonna lie...i know i dont care to mess with my WK lol but i guess you can say im more of a sports car guy i could and did take apart my 93 rx7 do this do that take the trans out, replace shocks, ect but your right not many people here do mess with there new cars...
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post

Sad sad...

Acidcold it is guys like you who lead the way on a certain vehicle. Somebody lead the way on the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, Wrangler etc...

First I do not care if people make fun of me. Currently I am struggling with turning my 2008 WK CRD into a Expedition type vehicle. Unfortunately my wallet does not mass produce $100 bills. It is tough sometime to turn a truck like the WK into a dedicated off road vehicle.

My struggle is that there are a number of very good offroad vehicles that can be had for cheap....Land Cruisers, 4Runner, Wranglers etc etc. They also have an extensive aftermarket support already setup. And if the thing takes a crap on the trail oh well....not so when I am wheeling my one and only.

Fortunately I only have $7500 in my 2008 WK CRD, so I look at my WK differently than a lot of people. A lot of people have a $25,000 loan and a monthly payment. But in todays time it is just unrealistic for people to go around swapping engines in vehicles. There is a very small % of people who would ever do that.

So I do not think it is from a lack of dreaming or imagination I think it comes down to pure economics.

A lot of the "non IFS" crowd use their straight axle vehicles purely as a second vehicle dedicated to off road. They are a small percentage. Everyone else has to balance the off road experience with a functional and reliable daily driver. You are always going to have the snobs no matter what you decide to do....I like to road bike, but no matter what kind of bike I show up with there will always be someone with a more expensive bike and cooler wheels etc etc

And the bottom line...off roading in any form is really tough on newer vehicles. So that means stuff breaks...and that means stuff has to be replaced or you do not get to work on Monday.

When I was road racing (showroom stock) there was a very small and dedicated group of guys who drove their racecars to and from the track. It would maybe last a couple of races and then they would either quit or buy a truck and a trailer.....

So thanks for the leading the way Acidcold, just remember that everyone here has one thing in common, we like Jeeps.
Unread 08-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What kind of bike you got!?? i ride..
<<<<<<< look
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.