Engine problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Engine problems

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCracker View Post
Are there any real mechanics anymore, or are they just computer techs?

Get a mechanic who can work on a car that doesn't have a computer, he'll figure out the problem.

My guess, fire, air, or fuel; one of those is screwed up.

TC
In today's vehicles the computer(PCM) controls all of those.Mechanics are part changers,technicians find the problem and fix it.

We had a old school mechanic(63 years old) who never worked on modern vehicles with computers,he lasted 1 day after he spent almost a hour trying to figure out how to reset the "oil change required" light in a '05 Suburban.

Unread 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
DRCracker
2006 WK 

Soon our Doctors will be just the same; if the computer can't figure out what's wrong with you, then nothing's wrong with you!

We need more people who can diagnose the computer(computer tech's I guess) so the computer can diagnose the engine/machine?

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

We need more people who can diagnose the computer(computer tech's I guess) so the computer can diagnose the engine/machine?

TC
Do you even know what your looking for when diagnosing a modern engine? You got short term fuel trims,long term fuel trims,MAP sensor readings(or MAF sensor),O2 sensors voltages,and many more.A multimeter is not enough these days,you need to see what the PCM is recieving from the sensors to know what's going on otherwise your just down to replacing parts till it's fixed.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
DRCracker
2006 WK 

We don't really disagree.

I guess engine/emissions controls are so complicated now that it takes a computer to manipulate each variable.

I'm just saying that maybe a human brain (used to be called a mechanic) that understands the way the engine is working could spend some time trying to figure out the defect, since the computer is unable to see it with it's limited number of sensors and inputs. Maybe a human brain could figure out where to look for the defect.

Poor computer doesn't have sensors for everything.

Let's not fight.

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
We don't really disagree.

I guess engine/emissions controls are so complicated now that it takes a computer to manipulate each variable.

I'm just saying that maybe a human brain (used to be called a mechanic) that understands the way the engine is working could spend some time trying to figure out the defect, since the computer is unable to see it with it's limited number of sensors and inputs. Maybe a human brain could figure out where to look for the defect.

Poor computer doesn't have sensors for everything.

Let's not fight.

TC
Yes you do need to understand how a engine works and what all the sensors are but the PCM does monitor everything in these newer engines(OBDII).Talking about everything from timing,air/fuel ratio,injector modulation,altitude,air temp,oil pressure,exhuast temps,misfires,knock sensors(if you have them),and the list goes on and on.On OEM scanners you can look through about 100+ different parameters monitored by the PCM,then you got the BCM,TCM,ABS,and all those other computers also.
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
slickdevil08
2005 WK 

Yeah but on these engines if the fuel pump is on the way out It will not throw a code or say anythings wrong

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdevil08 View Post
Yeah but on these engines if the fuel pump is on the way out It will not throw a code or say anythings wrong

It can if it's a slowly dying pump in misfire codes,knock sensor codes,lean codes,and/or o2 codes.A sudden death of a fuel pump will not but you will be left with a crank no start condition which the 1st thing you check is fuel pressure anyways.
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
slickdevil08
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It can if it's a slowly dying pump in misfire codes,knock sensor codes,lean codes,and/or o2 codes.A sudden death of a fuel pump will not but you will be left with a crank no start condition which the 1st thing you check is fuel pressure anyways.
Well my biggest gripe is that it has stalled 3 times on me while in drive and it tends to sputter and at idle it shakes the whole jeep but the techs keep saying that's normal .... That doesn't seem normal to me

Unread 08-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdevil08 View Post
Well my biggest gripe is that it has stalled 3 times on me while in drive and it tends to sputter and at idle it shakes the whole jeep but the techs keep saying that's normal .... That doesn't seem normal to me

Where did you get this Jeep from? Did you buy new? I might be skeptical that the previous owner (if there is one) may not have disclosed all that's happened in this jeep's past.
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
slickdevil08
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XK1982 View Post
Where did you get this Jeep from? Did you buy new? I might be skeptical that the previous owner (if there is one) may not have disclosed all that's happened in this jeep's past.
I got it from a dealership that swears its a great running jeep and it was a one owner when I got it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.