Engine locked? Sentry key immobilizor system? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Engine locked? Sentry key immobilizor system?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
jeeplover8

Engine locked? Sentry key immobilizor system?

Hi guys,

1st post and yes I am here in search of help.

Ok, I just got a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (used of course) and the car came with only 1 key/remote, so I went ahead and ordered another key/remote (with transmitter) just like the original one and had the key cut.

Ok great the key is cut and I was able to open the door with it (testing it out) and then when I tried to start the car, i hear a click and the engine will not start. Then I decide to look at my cars manual (should have looked at it before, but thats a moot point now) and I read that this car has a SKIS - Sentry Key Immobilizer System which basically locks the engine if it thinks a foreign key is being used to start the car.

Now my cars engine is locked and my original key that worked before isn't able to turn the car on. So now my car won't start because I think the SKIS technology locked my car.

So..... what do I do now? How do I resolve this problem?

I really don't want to tow my car that I just bought a week ago to the dealer ship lols.

Any help would be much appreciated.

jeeplover8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

This information is from www.wkjeeps.com It looks like you are going to have to tow it to a dealer. Bring your two keys. See below.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) prevents unauthorized operation of the vehicle by disabling the engine. The system will shut the engine down after 2 seconds of running if an invalid key is used to start the vehicle. This system utilizes ignition keys which have an electronic chip (transponder) embedded into them. Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle can be used to start and operate the vehicle for longer than the 2 second validation time period. All of the keys provided with your new vehicle have been programmed to the vehicle electronics.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer System does not need to be armed or activated. Operation of the system is automatic regardless of whether or not the vehicle is locked or unlocked. During normal operation, the SKIS indicator light will come on for 3 seconds immediately after the ignition switch is turned on for a bulb check. Afterwards, if the bulb remains on, this indicates a malfunction in the electronics. If the bulb begins to flash immediately after the ignition switch is turned on, this indicates that an invalid key is being used to start the vehicle. Both of these conditions will result in the engine being shut down after 2 seconds of running. Keep in mind that a key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key even if it is cut to fit the ignition for that vehicle.

If the SKIS indicator light comes on during normal vehicle operation (it has been running for longer than 10 seconds) a fault has been detected in the electronics and the vehicle should be serviced as soon as possible.

NOTE: The Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection. Mobil SpeedpassTM, additional Sentry Keys, or any other transponder equipped components on the same keychain will not cause a key-related (Transponder) fault unless the additional part is physically held against the ignition key being used when starting the vehicle. Also, cell phones, pagers, or other RF electronics will not cause interference with this system.

Starting with 2005 models, the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is built-in to the key fob, as shown in the photo above. In addition, a fourth button has been added to allow automatic opening of the rear flipper glass. Once the button is pressed, the glass is not only unlocked, but automatically rises.

For additional security, two pre-programmed keys are needed in order to register additional keys into the system. In the event of the loss of all keys, special programming equipment is needed to register new keys into the system.

It is highly recommended that you get a spare third key made and programmed for your Jeep. It's a good idea to do this while you still have your two original keys. If you were to ever lose one of those keys, it's a lot more costlier to have a replacement made as you must go to the dealer or a specialty locksmith to have the programming done. With your own pair of original keys, you can easily program a new key yourself.

A four digit PIN number is needed to service the Sentry Key Immobilizer System. This number can be obtained from your authorized dealer. However, this number can also be found on your customer invoice that you were given upon receipt of your vehicle.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a given vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided with a four digit PIN number. This number is required for dealer replacement of keys. Duplication of keys may be performed at an authorized dealer or by using the Customer Key Programming procedure. This procedure consists of programming a blank key to the vehicle electronics. A blank key is one which has never been programmed.

NOTE: When having the Sentry Key System serviced, bring all keys to the dealer.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold

Last edited by TonyVideo; 11-29-2008 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
ethorson

Some locksmiths have the equipment to program keys using the alternate procedure (less than two keys using the PIN). The advantage is that they will come to you so you don't need to tow the car.
ethorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
It should still start on the old key, Have you locked it up again and then unlocked with the old key.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
jeeplover8

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
It should still start on the old key, Have you locked it up again and then unlocked with the old key.
Regards,
Merlin
Ok, it works now with the old key (original key) but I am now having intermittent issues with starting my car.

Sometimes when i start the car it will start fine, sometimes when i start the car, the car won't start. I am guessing its a starter problem now. everytying else in the car works fine. Perhaps it was just a coincidence that the starter problem came about during this time.

Maybe the starter had issues that i didnt know about (i only had this car a week) and it just reared its ugly head at the time that i get the new key cut.

Anyways, how do i confirm if its a starter issue. When i start the car, i hear a click noise but sometimes the car doesn't start.
Unread 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
wookiee
Bought, not built.

2007 WK 

Leave the key in the run position. Don't turn it off when you hear the click.

At least, with my diesel, the engine will start on it's own in a second or two.

Not sure why, maybe waiting for the glowplugs to do their job?
07 Steel Blue Overland CRD QDII | Bilsteins | 4xguard Matrix | Rear SRT8 SwayBar | DashHawk w/egt | Provent | MBRP XP Exhaust | New Intake Tube & Seal + EHM | Alternator Splash Guard | Crank Sensor | GPS AL InMotion Hack | Swirl motor bypass | Fuelly.com - wookiee | Blue WK Club Member #13 | 100,000 Mile Club | Dogpiled Club | flashpaq 3872 for those no 4-low days |
wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #7
merlinTec

Hi
If it a key/immobiliser fault you will have the SKIM light on (red LED). I suspect you do possibly have a starter motor fault.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
jeeplover8

Quote:
Hi
If it a key/immobiliser fault you will have the SKIM light on (red LED). I suspect you do possibly have a starter motor fault.
Regards,
Merlin
Not exactly what a SKIM light on (red led) looks like.

Does it look like a red motor? when I put the key on on position there is a red icon looks like a motor.
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
robpp

its a red blinking light. like an alarm might have. its part of the dash lights.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
jeeplover8

I just called the local jeep dealer and mentioned the scenario to him. He said it maybe an electrical issue as now the immobilizer does not even recognize my original key as original anymore.

Putting in the un-programmed key really screwed me up bad.

He wanted me to bring the car in for a complete diagnostic which will cost $150, just for them to take a look at what may be wrong.

I have a feeling this is going to cost me a pretty penny for this stupid mistake.
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
jeeplover8

Quote:
Hi
Regards,
Merlin
Merlin, How much aprox would a starter motor fault problem cost to fix?

Is it really costly? or not so much?
Unread 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
jeeplover8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
its a red blinking light. like an alarm might have. its part of the dash lights.
Update

The small red light does show once i put my key on the ignition but then after 2-3 secs it goes away (then again almost every light on the dash goes on as i initially put my key in and turn it on) it does not blink.

After that light goes off, I can then turn the car on.

Really confused now trying to determine if its a starter issues or immobilzer issue.

If its a starter issue why does the car start only after i put my key in the on position for a few seconds.

Here is what my dash looks like after i put my key on the on position.
Unread 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
robpp

ok. then i think its not the immobilizer. where i think merlin was going was if after you put the key in, and the immobiser light dont go off, then the immobilizer is stuck, but if that goes off, then i think its something else.
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
jeeplover8

One thing I forgot to tell you guys is that the key that i bought and tried to program that caused all this fiasco was bought on ebay.

I had two different locksmiths try to program it to work to but couldn't, I ended up getting a key exactly like my original one from the locksmith and now it works with the new key i just got today. Hopefully the issue has been resolved.

I will most likely get a local mechanic to look at the starter if the car has issues starting again.

Moral of story is: don't buy your jeep key from ebay, its probably used and just the outside casing been replaced.
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
goldmaker

Engine Locked no start

Quote:
Hi
Regards,
Merlin

Hello, what a fiasco...
Jeep towed twice once home next to dealer.
Had a skim replacement at dealer two keys reprogrammed $388.00.
Don't have a fob, but going to get one.

No start today, towed again to dealer $125.00

Upon unload from tow truck I locked the driver door and then unlocked with key to retrieve something and tried to start one more time,

Well it started, Great!

so now i'm afraid to drive it and don't know what to do .

Can i disarm the system?
Can I get some guarantees on the fix?
goldmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.