Elmscan 5 with OBDWiz - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Elmscan 5 with OBDWiz

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Chirpz
Web Wheeler

2007 WK 

Elmscan 5 with OBDWiz

I bought an Elmscan on Amazon and it finally arrived today. Now, what do I do with it?
I may have time to load up the software and play around with it tomorrow, if not, then Friday.

Anybody out there using one of these. Got any secrets or cool setups?

I'll be using it with my CRD mainly.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

What is it? Lol
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
tdoster
2007 WK 

YES. Love it. I would guess you got the ODBwiz software with it? Load the software and plug it in and start there.

After looking at their SDK and a lot of computations for determining the output values, we are writing our own program that reads and interprets just the stuff concerned about on the CRD. Bought a little CAR Computer and 7” Monitor, and looking at making a slide in mount where the instrument cluster is now as the 7” monitor sits in there just fine as is and does not move. For now, I have a 7” USB Monitor connected to my laptop that I sit in front of the instrument cluster as even the OBDwiz software has all the gauges and many more than already there. Boost, temps, and instant fuel economy really help out, and I actually prefer digital gauges, but you can setup digital or analog.

Also great for resetting codes, etc. with the software. When I get finished with the program we are writing, I will make it available for the CRD folks.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
tdoster
2007 WK 

Here is the picture of the 7" USB Monitor and ODBWiz on my economy screen.

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Can it show exhaust temp?...with the CRD you can see the actual increase in exhaust temp when a regen is happening....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
tdoster
2007 WK 

Rule of thumb. If there is a sensor, then whatever it reads and sends to the ECU gets dumped to the ODBII port. So, yes. You will even see a long term log of when it happened and everything it effected if you have it hooked up all the time even with the included ODBwiz software.

We have been playing with a lot of other inputs to the program we are writing, such as adding inputs for GPS, other generic temp senders, oil pressure (not read by the ECU), and relay outputs to control about anything you wanted to. In my case, I plan on using those for my light and accessory switches to be controlled by the touch screen instead of a physical switch. The hardest part is the oil pressure as working on various ways to measure the output and convert it to a hex that the computer can read through the USB bus as a virtual com port. Have not found anything off the shelf that will translate the analog signals voltage and impedance difference and convert that to a pars able hex. Like marine stuff all has an NMEA standard for converting and chaining, we don’t really have components in the auto world yet, but Microsoft sees it and taking the lead.
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Chirpz
Web Wheeler

2007 WK 

OK.... I finally got around to fiddling with my Elmscan. I installed the software on my EEEeee notebook computer. No problems with the software install. Since the EEEeee book does not have a disk drive, I had to convert the CD to an .ISO file and run it from an SD card. That was easy.

Next I plugged in the device to the car and to the computer, booted up and cranked up.

At first the program did not do anything. I had to tweak with the connection setting for a few minutes. That was pretty easy too. Soon, I had the graphic display on the screen and took off on a test drive around the big block.

I got home expecting to find nice log files of my various sensors and discovered nothing. You have to turn on the logging feature. So I did, at least I though I did and soon I had nice graphs scrolling across the screen.

Another test drive. Looked for logs. No logs. You have to tell it to RECORD the logs otherwise it just displays them.

Anyway, these are very minor hiccups. I'll use it on my next trip to record the whole trip and see what I get.
Unread 05-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Chirpz
Web Wheeler

2007 WK 

I gave up on the Elmscan.... it has a lot of potential but since you have to hook it up to a laptop to use it, it is very annoying to use....so I don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.