Elephant hose mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Elephant hose mod

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #1
jimcrd
2008 WK 

Elephant hose mod

I just did the elephant mod on my 08 GC CRD via the posts on the site. I used 1" rubber hose. Has anyone who has done the mod had to change the hose due to breakdown? I had read using silicone hose would be better but I took the path of lower $$$.

jimcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #2
joe989
2008 WK 

Ive read a bit of this elephant hose mod thing, I'm not convinced it's a good idea, for some people they dislike the smell, I used to drive an 06 cummins that vented to atmosphere and smelled like a refinery when it was hot, my gf didn't appreciate it, but I liked the smell. My real cause for concern is that pcv vents into the turbo, which actually makes a negative pressure in the line, venting it straight to atmosphere will result in a higher crankcase pressure and putting a higher load on crank seals etc... Quite honestly I think the best mod would the GDE tune which turns off the EGR preventing sooting of the intake manifold which is the real problem here, not the oil in it. That and I dont want to have to worry about the damn plug by the turbo coming off and sucking in unfiltered air, or worse the plug gets sucked into the turbo.
joe989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #3
The_Admiral
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe989 View Post
Ive read a bit of this elephant hose mod thing, I'm not convinced it's a good idea, for some people they dislike the smell, I used to drive an 06 cummins that vented to atmosphere and smelled like a refinery when it was hot, my gf didn't appreciate it, but I liked the smell. My real cause for concern is that pcv vents into the turbo, which actually makes a negative pressure in the line, venting it straight to atmosphere will result in a higher crankcase pressure and putting a higher load on crank seals etc... Quite honestly I think the best mod would the GDE tune which turns off the EGR preventing sooting of the intake manifold which is the real problem here, not the oil in it. That and I dont want to have to worry about the damn plug by the turbo coming off and sucking in unfiltered air, or worse the plug gets sucked into the turbo.
Right with ya buddy, I moded my Ele hose, the smell then made me nauseated, and then I stressed about the plug sucking into the turbo. I'm fixing to replace the hose and EGR hose.so I changed it back. Never thought about the higher pressures.
The_Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:06 AM   #4
jimcrd
2008 WK 

El mod

I purchased the aluminum plug from the engineering company in one of the threads. It arrived in a week and fit perfectly...Cost about $20.00
jimcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:29 AM   #5
TangoTango
2008 WK 

The better way to go is use th marine grade reinfoced hose and pipe it back into the exhaust pipe on the 45 degee angle. This is what they do on the marine diesel engines. There was a write up last week on it.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.