Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #46
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
So I ran mine down the front like you.. but looking today, I was wondeirng why not simply run it down the left side (passenger side) of the firewall as there is a space there that would work... is there a reason for going front of engine instead of behind it?
I did not choose that path because I did not want to make in sharp turns in the hose path. It certainly could go that route.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #47
ktmkris
2008 WK 

my 2008 with 50,000 miles puffs out a hefty amount of smoke here and there. I was told the sensor thing that is hooked up between the ccv and intake was actually a heating unit to burn or vaporize the oil that went through it. So that would mean any smoke that comes through is a result of the sensor or Could be a a partially clogged ccv spurting more oil out. I have a extensive background with diesel engines, with my maintenance and mobil 1 I seriously doubt it is a major blow by issue. Also if blow by was that bad, there would be issues of losing oil, fuel contaminating the oil and It is not showing. I have seen mercedes diesel engines log 350,000 with no trouble.
2008 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 3.0 crd limited 50,000 miles,GDE eco tune,dpfe delete. mbrp dpf back exhaust gutted resonator mod, ehm, rock krawler 3.5 inch x factor lift, rough country 1.5 wheel spacers,Rusty's offroad diff guards, k&n drop in, 275/75-17 bfg km1's,tinted windows.....on the way:custom cold air intake.
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #48
Chirpz

2007 WK 

EHM Smoking

I have had my EHM since Sept of last year. It rarely smokes and occasionally emits a smell. I DO have some smoke under certain conditions. If it is a hot day and I just did something that stresses the engine, like zipping up a steep grade, then I get a some smoking when I stand still and go to idle.

I have not yet seen any convincing evidence regarding that funny device. Some say it is a heater, some say it is a temperature sensor. I've seen lots of opinion about it but no hard evidence such as a document, part number with a name attached to it, etc. I left mine in place, so maybe it still functions.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Go to Sprinter Source forum. NCV3 section (2007 & newer Sprinters). Dig around. You will find the same issues there. Leaks from the intake tube. Orange seal. Black seal. Swirl motor & valve failures. Misdiagnosed oil leaks. It's all there... There are plenty of high mileage OM642s. Multiple there claiming well beyond 300k. But not without these issues. The swirl system is the weak link with this engine. Hopefully I've addressed that issue before it arrives. Reduced EGR and no blowby recirculation.
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #50
jiggadog
2008 WK 

i just finished the EHM. really straight forward, but for the few minutes the jeep was idling after i finished, it was smoking, but temp is around freezing so i'm not sure if it's condensation or what. hope it works out and along with the new seal (changed about 10k km ago) prevents or at least prolongs potential swirl motor issues.
jiggadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #51
terrasmak
2007 WK 

http://saikoufabrication.blogspot.co...&max-results=3 I wonder how a breather like this one would work on the CRD
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #52
nemesisngr
2008 WK 

Awesome

So, getting my "swirl Motor" done this coming week. (Wen't at 178k km).

I've looked, but can someone please direct me how to trick the computer to think the swirl is working (swirl delete). Pics, links, or what-ever.

Does the "new" hose with the black gasket fix the oil getting into the swirl motor problem?

Thanks for all your input.

Cheers.

2008 GC 178k Km.
nemesisngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #53
DieselDevotion
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisngr
So, getting my "swirl Motor" done this coming week. (Wen't at 178k km).

I've looked, but can someone please direct me how to trick the computer to think the swirl is working (swirl delete). Pics, links, or what-ever.

Does the "new" hose with the black gasket fix the oil getting into the swirl motor problem?

Thanks for all your input.

Cheers.

2008 GC 178k Km.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...istor-1380618/
DieselDevotion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
mathetes
2007 WK 

Just finished the EHM. Thanks Chirpz for your step by step detailed instructions. Soon I will do the gde tune, but hopefully I won't have the swirl motor failure until then.
mathetes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #55
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Hmmm..... I just noticed that I have been using the EHM since June 2011. I still have not seen a single drop of oil dripped on the driveway.
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The device between CCV and intake is a small heater to prevent CCV gases from freeze-up issues. It is just a warming device and does not get very hot. Condensation can be a problem with an EHM if it is exposed to cold air. If the pipe were to get a blockage in very cold weather it could lead to a blown crank seal due to block pressurization.

Not overfilling the oil should minimize the blow-by.
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #57
sfoster4
2008 WK 

So if I live in Minneapolis MN, winter here could be an issue for the EHM?
sfoster4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #58
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

I incorporated the heater into my EHM. Is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #59
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I would like to know more about that little "heater" in the CCV. I've never heard a convincing argument about it.

If it truly is a heater, does it function while the car is turned OFF and is just sitting there in the cold.

If that is not the case, WHEN does it function. If you crank your engine it is too late for it to do any good because you would be producing pressure against a blocked hose that has not had time to thaw.

You certainly don't need it once the engine is warmed up. Also, there is no time for it to do anything between the time you turn the key and the engine fires. Try to imagine an instant heater. Have you ever tried to melt an ice cube with a propane torch.... it melts fast but still takes time.

If it functions when the car is turned OFF, that would make sense....sort of like a block heater for the CCV hose. But it would protect only a short segment of the hose. If you have a long cold spell and don't use your car...does your battery drain down? How many watts does it draw?

I realize freezing is a problem....but I'm a CCV Heater skeptic. I don't know what the thing is....... but the heater idea makes no sense to me.

May be someone has a part number that also has an identifying label. Something like "MB4198583 - CCV Heater" (I made that up) That would be convincing.

I'm not trying to make trouble here.... Just expressing my my questions and doubts. I'd really like to know for sure.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #60
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD Dawg View Post
I incorporated the heater into my EHM. Is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I left mine in place when I did the EHM but I'm not convinced it is a heater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.