Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

So I ran mine down the front like you.. but looking today, I was wondeirng why not simply run it down the left side (passenger side) of the firewall as there is a space there that would work... is there a reason for going front of engine instead of behind it?

BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #32
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

This is where i have run my hose down the firewall and through the hole in the chassis.Nice and neat.The hose from the ccv outlet is a pre formed U bend silicon hose.Inlet capped off with an aluminium plug,i would not trust a rubber plug in my opinion the rubber could deteriorate over time due to engine heat.

ianrmz250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #33
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrmz250 View Post
This is where i have run my hose down the firewall and through the hole in the chassis.Nice and neat.The hose from the ccv outlet is a pre formed U bend silicon hose.Inlet capped off with an aluminium plug,i would not trust a rubber plug in my opinion the rubber could deteriorate over time due to engine heat.

That was tyhe route I was meaning.. I will re-run mine
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
So I ran mine down the front like you.. but looking today, I was wondeirng why not simply run it down the left side (passenger side) of the firewall as there is a space there that would work... is there a reason for going front of engine instead of behind it?
No really good reasons. I did not want to make a bunch of sharp turn to go that route. With my route there are no sharp turns until you get the the very bottom. It is really just a preference. My route does not require very much cutting of the manifold padding. I did have to snip it a little but not much.

So it is really just a preference.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #35
BAH101
2008 WK 

Well, finally installed my version 2 of my EHM. The first time there was just way too much smoke coming from the hose. I included in this version my Raccor filter that I bought a long time ago and never installed. I got 2, 1" diameter, 90 degree elbows and used the electric "thingy" to attach them, then a 1" to 3/4 step down fitting and then a 3/4" 90 degree into the filter catch can. From there out the bottom.
image-2985178933.jpg   image-1289781052.jpg   image-3933200298.jpg   image-364201123.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #36
08crd
2008 XK Commander 

Why not run it to the lower part of the airbox below the air cleaner? The problem with running it to atmosphere is water ingress if you do a deep water crossing.
The other thing is, if you have the provent filter and then the air cleaner all the suspended oil would be removed.
08crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #37
BAH101
2008 WK 

I had thought about that, and might still do it. Some here were noticing there was still oil in the turbo after installing a CCV filter, most likely due to where the hose goes into the inlet tube and the excessive vacuum that would be created there pulling the oil through the filter.
I thought about the lower side of the air box, but would not ram air coming into the box, put pressure to the hose and into the crankcase?
I thought about putting it into the upper side of the air box also, that would prevent oil contamination of the air filter, but there is 2 air sensors in the top, and since I am not sure what they do, I would not want to contaminate them with oil. But, I might just try, what is the worst that could happen.
I concerned about where the hose exits now, just for the reason you mentioned (water crossings), I do off road my jeep and just a few months ago got high centered in a water hole up to the bottom of the doors. The bottom of the elephant hose would have been under water.
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #38
08crd
2008 XK Commander 

I would have thought any suspended oil would be picked up by the provent filter or the air cleaner. So I doubt any fouling of the M.A.F sensor would happen.
Also the suction at the airbox inlet would be much lower than the turbo inlet, due to the volumetric area. This would be a low negative pressure area.
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
BAH101
2008 WK 

Actually, pressure would be highest in the air box. You would have, at speed, high velocity ram air entering your inlet, then, when the air enters the large space of the air box, the velocity of the air would decrease, with a corresponding increase of pressure (Bernoulli's principles of fluid dynamics), the air would then go into the turbo inlet hose, which is smaller diameter and it's velocity would again increase, while the pressure decreased. From the look of the air inlet tube to the turbo, it narrows towards the turbo inlet, so that there is higher air velocity and lower pressure going into the turbo itself.
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #40
08crd
2008 XK Commander 

What I meant by airbox inlet was the large lower area underneath the airfilter.
I would expect this area to have much less suction than the area immediately before the turbo inlet. Also it would be much easier to fit a watertight fitting in that area.
Unread 08-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #41
IRoll
2007 WK 

I had to have my swirl motor replaced at about 50k miles and when they performed the service they broke the plastic arms on the manifold (not that the dealer would admit to this, but after requesting to look at the old manifold it was obvious to me). They hit me for a new manifold and then broke a manifold stud re-installing it. The entire ordeal cost about $3,000 USD (no warranty). I've put another 22k miles on the engine since it was replaced.

I'm pretty good with a wrench and I could certainly get the job done (given the time) but I don't want to replace the swirl motor if I can avoid it. So, I've been reading about the elephant hose and I think it is a good precautionary measure.

I do have a few questions. How much smoke is emitted and is it a constant stream? I am concerned about the volume of smoke and want to know if there will be continuous smoke pouring off. BAH101, can you elaborate on the smoke issue as well as the filter's effectiveness? Also, ianrmz250, how is the aluminum plug fitted and kept secure?

By the way, I stumbled onto this forum because I'm now experiencing a faulty crankshaft sensor and found that there is a wealth of information here. Thanks to all for participating and sharing information.
IRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #42
08crd
2008 XK Commander 

The swirl motors burnt out due to oil leaking from the turbo inlet tube. The original tube had an orange insert that was leaking and causing the problem. This was resolved by an updated inlet tube that was all black and didn't leak. However this still allowed the crank case oil fumes to be deposited in the intercooler.
If you are only worried about the swirl motor, it may be worth just renewing the inlet pipe. Otherwise the elephant hose is an option, the amount of smoke emitting from the hose will be dependent on the amount of blow-by on your piston rings. Again this is usually dependent on engine wear.
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #43
ianrmz250
2007 WK 

Hi IRoll the aluminium plug is a press fit into the inlet tube , one of the other members on the forum had to tap their plug in with a hammer due to the fine tolerance,mine is just a good snug press fit and can be removed with a pipe wrench.
If you use the dimensions i have posted the plug will hopefully fit fine.My plug has been fitted for 6 months now with no problems.

Smoke from the EHM is hardly noticable , but can smell if idling and stationery.
ianrmz250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #44
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I have 55,000 on my engine and smoke is zero
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Passed emissions testing today with flying colors. See my new thread on the subject to read the whole story. Passed with EHM in place and functioning.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.