Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Elephant Hose Installation step by step 3.0L CRD

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
So the end under the Jeep, is that simply a drain end (onto the pavement) or is there a catch can under there?
No catch can on mine....simply a drain. I've driven over 1000 miles now and since installing it and so far I have not seen a single drop of oil come out. The inside of the pipe at the bottom is oily to feel but not really moist. Our pavement on the driveway is clean. You DO see some vapor at times. I can't say that everyone will experience the same thing. My total miles is around 55,000. I do know that I had plenty of oil inside of my swirl motor that came from the CCV before I made this mod.

EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

So what would you say the parts cost?
BigSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
So what would you say the parts cost?
This is a real cheap fix especially when compared to the cost of changing a swirl motor. The elbow was $1.19 I think, and the clamps were $.69 each.
I chose to use silicone hose at $17.xx per foot, but you could use heater hose that is way cheaper. The expansion plug was about $3.95 I think.
That's it. I also used a couple of cheap wire ties.
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #19
donk_316
2008 WK 

Not to rain on the parade but dont you need intake vacuum on that port to keep the upper crankcase at mostly negative pressure to help with ring sealing and combustion chamber contamination??

If you really feel the need to do this mod then it should be done with a proper catch can **inline** with the turbo intake tube and the engine crankcase ventilation port.

The proper ones dont have those silly K&n filters on top. they are a sealed unit.
Unread 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
Not to rain on the parade but dont you need intake vacuum on that port to keep the upper crankcase at mostly negative pressure to help with ring sealing and combustion chamber contamination??

If you really feel the need to do this mod then it should be done with a proper catch can **inline** with the turbo intake tube and the engine crankcase ventilation port.

The proper ones dont have those silly K&n filters on top. they are a sealed unit.
Closed crankcase ventilation (CCV) is something that has only come about in the past 10 years in diesel applications in response to EPA regulation on *all* emitted gases, including fuel vapor, tailpipe, and crankcase. The crankcase ventilation in particular has high hydrocarbon content, partially from oil vapor but especially due to evaporating fuel from the oil as a result of in-cylinder dosing strategies for DPF regeneration. Thus, to reduce the total combined HC emissions, they figure it's easy enough to capture and route back into engine.

So to answer your question, no, CCV is not necessary for functionality or longevity of a diesel engine. It's merely an emissions strategy by the OEM's due to increasing regulation of light duty diesels.
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
No catch can on mine....simply a drain. I've driven over 1000 miles now and since installing it and so far I have not seen a single drop of oil come out. The inside of the pipe at the bottom is oily to feel but not really moist. Our pavement on the driveway is clean. You DO see some vapor at times. I can't say that everyone will experience the same thing.
Same conditions for me. I've put about 15k miles on my CRD since I installed my 1st version of the EHM I adapted from all the KJ CRDs. After about 10k miles of use, I removed it and cut open the hoses to see if they were dissolving since it wasn't oil rated hose. Other than smelling of burnt oil and being very slightly sticky, I found no real issues. I plan to replace the hoses once a year at a cost of about $20. I currently have about 5k miles on what I've called my "EHM Version 2.0". I have a thread called "EHM Version 2.0" with a Photobucket pictorial if anyone's interested. Similar to Chirpz's but it's just pics, no instructions.

I've experienced no drips or spray beneath the vehicle. At startup, there is no smell or visible "smoke". Once up to operating temperature, there is a decent amount of "smoke" when sitting at a stop that flows from beneath the vehicle. It's color is somewhere between "steam" and white "smoke". It smells pretty strong but is only detectable outside the vehicle.

I installed a Racor 4500 at 1,500 miles but it kept allowing some of the blowby to get into the intake. After wrestling with it for a year, a buddy of mine who has a KJ CRD suggested adapting the well known EHM for my CRD. I gave up on the Racor at 7,500 miles and set up the EHM. Currently at 22,500 miles with no issues.
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
Tuco
2007 WK 

If after 15K miles there isnt much damage to hoses, why change them so often? We put about 10K miles per year so we were thinking of 3 years or more between replacement. The only thing that I can see that would be a problem is if the hose some how clogged, who cares if it gets sticky or oily on the inside? My local NAPA wanted nearly $30 for the hose I used, which hoses are you using that cost $20? Do you have a part number? Thanks!
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

So I can not find the expansion plug that size anywhere in Canada (and I live in a large city).. Any other ideas to replace that? Or does someone want to buy one for me and ship it to me.. I will pay you via paypal
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
So I can not find the expansion plug that size anywhere in Canada (and I live in a large city).. Any other ideas to replace that? Or does someone want to buy one for me and ship it to me.. I will pay you via paypal
I am swamped tomorrow, but could get one for you Saturday morning if they still have them in stock at the local hardware store.
You would need send me your mailing address via private email.
I can bill your for part plus shipping via paypal. I'm in a small town in Washington state.
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #25
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

That would be perfect if you could check ....
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #26
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Pretty sure I've seen these plugs in your basic Home Hardware or Home Depot's here in Canada. It would likely be in the plumbing section.
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

I checked both places, and did not see the right size.. The one Home Depot I went to was a 'smaller' one.. maybe I will try the other
Unread 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

I found the part locally (finally) at Car Quest.. so no need to check for me Chirpz, but I do appreciate your offer
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
I found the part locally (finally) at Car Quest.. so no need to check for me Chirpz, but I do appreciate your offer
I bought one for you today, but its no big deal, the store is only 4 blocks away so I'll return it.

Good luck with all the work.
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #30
BigSensFan
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
I bought one for you today, but its no big deal, the store is only 4 blocks away so I'll return it.

Good luck with all the work.
Ahh sorry for your troubles ... I appreciate the effort

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.