Electronic Shift Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Electronic Shift Module

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
MassRedneck
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Electronic Shift Module

I have an 06 grand cherokee v6 with about 50k on it. Recently the malfunction indicator light has come on randomly. I had a local garage read it and they said it was the ESM. Brought it to jeep for a "complimentary oil change" they too read the code and said ESM and want almost 700 to fix it. Does anyone know anything about this? is it possible to do myself?

If its a jeep thing I have or will break it at least once
MassRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
JMorash
2005 WK 

You gotta bring it into the dealership so the ESM can get reflashed. As long as the check engine light is on and the car isnt working right. The dealership has the only tool to fix it or replace it, You should be covered under the powertrain warranty since your under 70k miles.
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Nejeep

I believe the ESM is the electronic stability module not shift module, but in any event the dealer is probably your only option. Also your 06 would only have 3/36 factory warranty unless you bought an extended warranty.

Good Luck

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
ESP is electronic stability Program ESM is electronic shifter module and you can change it yourself follow the TSB on shifter bezel.
Regards,
Merlin

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.