electrical/ starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > electrical/ starting issues

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

electrical/ starting issues

First off I'm new to all this so let me know if I posted in the wrong spot or anything else. I drive a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a 5.7 HEMI V8.

So to start off one morning I went out to start my jeep and got nothing but a click, so my first thought of course was the battery. I checked that and off the multi meter came to about 12.41 volts and would drop to 12.12 volts when cranked, but at the time I didn't have much more time to trouble shoot so I left it at that. On work days I drive a company vehicle so about a week later I tried it again and had the same thing.

I borrow the OBD II scanner from O'reilly's and got a code of b3fbe. I cant seem to find any information on this code anywhere and the scanner actually referred me to a website for more information which of course had nothing.

After running the scanner I also decided to try the key dance and didn't get any check engine codes. After that the electrical system seemed to go haywire and flicker on and off for a solid two or three minutes. Through out this it also started popping up warning messages about servicing the 4 wheel drive system and antilock brake system. All of this flashing and flickering also drained the battery completely.

So in hopes not to drop hundreds of dollars at the local mechanic plus getting it towed there I hope you guys can help me out. Also to be completely transparent in the months prior I was getting a P0420 code but it would only happen for a couple days and then disappear.

Hendriks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

also I have a video here of the flickering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B56v...ature=youtu.be
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

Sounds like it might be a bad connection to the starter or possibly a bad starter altogether, these jeeps seem to be notorious for that. As to the flickering, if these Jeeps get a low battery they will go nuts, so you might just need to charge/replace it. When my battery went bad it locked my jeep in 3rd gear and turned on every warning light possible.
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman_28 View Post
Sounds like it might be a bad connection to the starter or possibly a bad starter altogether, these jeeps seem to be notorious for that. As to the flickering, if these Jeeps get a low battery they will go nuts, so you might just need to charge/replace it. When my battery went bad it locked my jeep in 3rd gear and turned on every warning light possible.
ya I was thinking somewhere around there too. The starter in the 5.7 is a nightmare to get at. I can barely get a ratchet on it, much les get enough torque to loosen it. As for the battery I actually did replace it not to long ago, probably 4 or 5 months ago.
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
JKM
2005 WK 

considering how much you lights are flashing in the video, have you tried boosting it? I think it might be a bad/weak battery
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
considering how much you lights are flashing in the video, have you tried boosting it? I think it might be a bad/weak battery
ya, I've tried that. I get a decent charge and it wont start while charging or after. It seems like that's more of a symptom that a cause though
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
JKM
2005 WK 

how old is the battery? Did you try with booster cables on it?
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
how old is the battery? Did you try with booster cables on it?
The battery is only about 6 months old and ya I tried it with the booster cables on, same result as without them.
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
tom19511
2006 WK 

Check these threads for the ignition module change. Sounds like it may be that.
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom19511 View Post
Check these threads for the ignition module change. Sounds like it may be that.
from my understanding of an ignition module wouldn't it still try to turn over? Mine doesn't even get to the point, it just clicks.
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
Hendriks92
2005 WK 

Well finally sucked up my pride and brought it in to the shop, $400 later I have a new starter and a running jeep. Also had a factory recall on the final drive taken care of. Thanks for the help guys
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Pyroman_28
2006 WK 

oh man, that's the infamous N23 recall... I'd try shifting into 4low and see if it works.
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendriks92 View Post
Well finally sucked up my pride and brought it in to the shop, $400 later I have a new starter and a running jeep. Also had a factory recall on the final drive taken care of. Thanks for the help guys
That's not a good thing......N23 is a dirty word in the jeep community.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.