Electrical Problems Again!! (codes) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Electrical Problems Again!! (codes)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Electrical Problems Again!! FIXED!! (with pictures)

Well, I've been having the intermittent problem that many have reported. The dash lights go out occasionally (commonly attributed to a bad ignition switch). Usually, I could just restart the car and it would return to normal. But yesterday, it wouldn't fix itself. I had ordered a new ignition switch to have on-hand, so I guess I will install that today. It did eventually fix itself later on in the day though. I did a scan to pull the trouble codes while it was acting up, so I wanted to document them here:

1) U1411: IMPLAUSIBLE FUEL VOLUME SIGNAL
2) U110A: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH SCM-CAN-C
3) P0700: TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM (MIL REQUEST)
4) P0731: GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 1ST
5) U0114: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE
6) U140E: IMPLAUSIBLE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION RECEIVED
7) U0126: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH STEERING ANGLE SESOR
8) U1504: IMPLAUSIBLE MESSAGE DATA LENGTH RECEIVED FROM STEERING ANGLE SENSOR
9) B2100: IGNITION RUN/START INPUT CIRCUIT/PERFORMANCE
10) U0197: LOST COMMUNICATION WITH HANDS FREE PHONE MODULE

I cleared the codes, took it for a short drive, and re-scanned it. 1,2,5,6,7,&9 came back. This was during the time when the dash lights were not working.

I'll try to take some pics on how to replace the ignition module, since I haven't seen any on here. I have the PDF from one of the members, but pictures are better.

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
JKM
2005 WK 

I would not bother dealing with those codes until after you replace the ignition switch. The lost connections and voltage swings as a result of the bad ignition switch may be causing some of these faults. Replace the switch, reset the all the codes and then go from there
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Nitrouscpe
2006 XK Commander 

mine had some of the same codes!! replaced the ign switch and nothing! i too it to the dealership and there was no communication with the can b bus which is the front control module!!
Nitrouscpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
joeaub
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is this the same problem I am having with my 03 TJ Rubicon? When I floor it sometimes the air bag light comes on and the gauge cluster goes dead. Needles drop to the off position and sometimes the tach just sticks where it is (at say 3000 rpm - position of when I floored it).

Ignition switch can cause this??
joeaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
I would not bother dealing with those codes until after you replace the ignition switch. The lost connections and voltage swings as a result of the bad ignition switch may be causing some of these faults. Replace the switch, reset the all the codes and then go from there
JKM: That was my plan. My intention was to see which codes are attributed to a bad ignition switch.

So, I put it today, about a 45 minute job. I cleared all the codes, took it for a test drive, and presto-chango - all codes gone, except the last one dealing with the hands free module (which I've always had problems with anyway, and didn't think it was ignition related). I took some pics, so I'll make a separate post for that.
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
mwalters2
2005 WK 

Ok, here are the pics I took during the install. Hopefully, this will help the the next person who has to tackle this!

Here's where you start - kind of obvious:

Use a plastic trim tool to work your way under the switch bezel:

Just pull it out - it unsnaps fairly easily:

Lock cylinder exposed - remove the two T-20 screws:

Next, remove the cluster bezel - looks hard, but is super easy:

Now you can see the third and final T-20 screw - remove it:

Grab the top of the knee blocker an pull down - no screws, just some A-clips. Panel is hinged at the bottom:

Knee blocker rotated down - you can see the four A-clips:

Push the assembly in and down:

Fish it out through the opening created by the knee blocker - took about 5 minutes to figure out the correct orientation to get it out:

Remove the T-10 screw holding the ignition switch on the assembly and remove the connector:

Install new switch:

New switch is made by TRW:

This welded-in stamping (un-painted metal bracket) made it a real pain to get the unit back into position. Where took me 5 minutes to get it out, it took 15 minutes to get it back in!!

After you get it back into position (and are done swearing at that bracket), just put the screws and two bezels back in place, and you're done!
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
BonesWK
2006 WK 

Wow - can someone add this thread to FAQ or Write up!!

well done
2006 Black WK Limited 4.7 4x4 QD II -- RR 2.25" Lift - JK Moabs - 32" Wildpeaks - Rear OME Shocks - AFE Stage 2 Intake - Saguaro 4x Front Shackles - 1-1/2" Wheel Spacers - Tail Light Guards - CB - 4' Firestik - Rola Roof Rack - Exhaust
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Chive On
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Bwana17

Thanks for this explanation! Just finished the change out and after 3 days, no light display anymore. I will give it another few days and check to see what codes, if any are being thrown.
Bwana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalters2 View Post
Ok, here are the pics I took during the install. Hopefully, this will help the the next person who has to tackle this!
Well done. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Yes. This is a great post--my thanks!
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.