EGT probe location/thoughts on my CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > EGT probe location/thoughts on my CRD

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
DieselForTwo
2008 WK 

EGT probe location/thoughts on my CRD

Need to install the BullyDog EGT probe that I have had laying around before upcoming vacation. My thoughts are that easier is better and post-turbo is safer. I don't want the risk of shavings and debri getting sucked into the system. So, I was thinking of putting it about an 1.5" inches from the turbo in the (16" long or so?) aluminum tube coming out of the turbo across the top of the engine.
My concerns are:
(1) that there is not much wall thickness in that pipe and I wonder how well it is going to thread and hold? Since I will be able to get to it easily (by removing the pipe) maybe I should put a nut on the inside to help hold it?
(2) the probe is fairly large (long) and it is going to span about 80% or more of the inside diameter of that pipe - is this going to reduce the flow and effectiveness of the system?
I realize that the temps will be lower at this location than in the manifold but isn't it really about 'trends' and being able to monitor a cool-down period after "hot" driving? If placed here, can't I add 150 degrees or extrapolate what the true manifold temp is?
Thanks

DieselForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
DieselForTwo
2008 WK 

Nobody has installed one or has an opinion on this?
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

I was thinking you'd need an EGT probe in FRONT of the turbo, somewhere between the exhaust manifold and the turbine inlet. I looked at mine to see how I might do it and decided to leave it alone - I'm monitoring my CATb1s1 sensor via OBD2 adapter and I reckon that's good enough information, in lieu of a real EGT gauge
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
DieselForTwo
2008 WK 

"I'm monitoring my CATb1s1 sensor via OBD2 adapter " - how are you able to do this? My BullyDog doesn't seem to have any such sensor available.
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

I use a ScanTool OBDMX bluetooth adapter and TorquePro on my Android phone. In the Jeep I can read a single CAT sensor, in my Jetta I can read 2 sensors. It's enough to let me know when the system goes into regen, or when EGT's are climbing due to increased engine load, and when it's cooled down enough for me to shut the engine off.
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Xmind
2007 WK 

^second this. Unless you are doing a ton of mods messing with the turbo and boost, just use an OBD bluetooth adapter and an Android phone with the TorquePro app and monitor CAT temperature. It might not be 100% what you are looking for, but it very clearly represents the current vehicle load and when you go into regen mode. Tapping into the exhaust for an EGT sensor seems like much more work than what you'd gain IMO.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
tnadanzig

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselForTwo View Post
Need to install the BullyDog EGT probe that I have had laying around before upcoming vacation. My thoughts are that easier is better and post-turbo is safer. I don't want the risk of shavings and debri getting sucked into the system. So, I was thinking of putting it about an 1.5" inches from the turbo in the (16" long or so?) aluminum tube coming out of the turbo across the top of the engine. I think you are confusing exhaust and intake parts of the turbo. The section you just described is after the turbo, but on the compressor side. I see no reason to put an egt sensor in this location unless you want to see the air temp coming out of the compressor.
My concerns are:
(1) that there is not much wall thickness in that pipe and I wonder how well it is going to thread and hold? Since I will be able to get to it easily (by removing the pipe) maybe I should put a nut on the inside to help hold it? Correct, this pipe is way to thin for an egt sensor if you want to tap this pipe. It is less than a 1/16" and you would need to weld a bung for it to hold.
(2) the probe is fairly large (long) and it is going to span about 80% or more of the inside diameter of that pipe - is this going to reduce the flow and effectiveness of the system?
I realize that the temps will be lower at this location than in the manifold but isn't it really about 'trends' and being able to monitor a cool-down period after "hot" driving? If placed here, can't I add 150 degrees or extrapolate what the true manifold temp is?
You do not want a nut on the inside of this pipe. It could rattle loose and end up in your intercooler and probably bounce around sending bits of aluminum into your engine.
Thanks
I have a Bullydog - Watchdog on one of my Jeeps and it monitors the existing EGT sensor after the turbo before the DPF filter. You should be able to view the egts with device.
2007 3.0L CRD WK LTD - Stage 2 Custom Spooling Tune, Go Fast Parts
Pro-lite Build
2003 F250 6.0L CCLB - Gearhead Tunes
tnadanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
jediknight
2008 WK 

Personaly I wouldn't mess with that :\

but to answer your question ... What you want is a place where there is some thick cast iron and usually on a diesel its everywhere between the exhaust valve manifolds and the turbine housing because of the significant temperature and exhaust pressure.

Try using obd tools its safer and way easier to install in my opinion.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
DieselForTwo
2008 WK 

I had to install an update and redo the setup on the BullyDog and SURPRISE pyro 1 is available and reads now. Much easier!
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
suzieque
2008 WK 

wookiee did an EGT probe install quite a while ago, I didn't see him post in this thread, you may want to PM him for advice. his EGR probe is an add-on to the Dashhawk, which also does catb1s1, he may be able to tell you if its worth the time to install the EGR probe.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
DieselForTwo
2008 WK 

"he may be able to tell you if its worth the time to install the EGR probe. " - Thanks, but I'm done. With the Pyro 1 now working I don't plan to drill any holes! It reads from about 550 to 610 degrees so far, but I've only driven less than 100 miles. At least I'll be able to see trends and hopefully know when it's safe to shut down.
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselForTwo View Post
"he may be able to tell you if its worth the time to install the EGR probe. " - Thanks, but I'm done. .
darn, I'm late to this thread, oh well...
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

Isn't the CATb1s1 sensor positioned just at the CAT inlet? I think we're reading the same sensor...

nevertheless - a free solution is a GOOD solution

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.