EGR Valve Location on '05 Gr Cherokee 5.7L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > EGR Valve Location on '05 Gr Cherokee 5.7L

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
chadfetter

EGR Valve Location on '05 Gr Cherokee 5.7L

My Check Engine light came on, and after testing found our the EGR Valve is throwing the codes.

Does anyone know where the EGR Valve is located? Is this an easy job to replace by yourself?

Thanks!

chadfetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

(2)EGR valve

Try this diagram, I think it's the correct one.
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
JMorash
2005 WK 

super easy. Dealer will charger you 300 plus to swap it out.
48 dollar part online.

It takes three bolts and the pipe removal. bolts are tough to get to
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
chadfetter

Does anyone have this image of where the EGR Valve location is? The image is no longer visible from this original post.
chadfetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
JMorash
2005 WK 

Remove air box and look under alternator. The egr valve has a long aluminum pipe that you can chase into the intake
HEMI Club Member #28

3.5 Rock crawler lift.265/65R17 Toyo AT SuperChips Flashpaq MDS delete
JMorash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

It's on the passenger side front of the head, as said, below the intake tube above the alternator. There are two bolts holding the EGR tube (to the EGR valve) that goes to the intake and two bolts holding the unit to the cylinder head. The bottom bolt is a bear, but I got mine out without messing with the alternator. Some folks have had to cut the bolt off or move the alternator. When you unbolt the EGR tube, DO NOT remove it, just tie it out of the way. Someone on one of these forums removed it (stuck) and tore the rubber seal that seals it into the intake manifold. This will cost you a trip to the dealer and probably a few day wait for them to get it. When you install the new valve (I paid $54 from AutoZone) I cut about 3/16 in. off the bolt end, chamfered it real well, and then ground down the collar/lip on the bolt head. Next time it'll be a 30 minute job, instead of an hour + 40 this time. How many miles on yours? They seem to go around 40-60K. I had 54K on mine. Hope this helps.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
mario_sb
2005 WK 

EGR valve 2005 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L

The EGR valve was surprisingly simple to replacement BUT give yourself at least 2-3 hours.
mario_sb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine as well - very cheap part from Napa. It is a PITA to change, however. On my '06 5.7, the alternator ended up just being in the way of one of the bolts. Had to remove the resonator box and all the covers and pull one of the polts on the alternator. This allowed me to swing it just enough to get the bolt out of the EGR valve. As Mario said, it's a super easy job, but give yourself 2-3 hours to deal with all the BS that isn't even related to the EGR valve.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.