EGR block-off plate. Is my assumption correct? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By caddydaddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

EGR block-off plate. Is my assumption correct?

Hey everyone.

My '08 GC CRD started throwing a P0404 EGR code. I'm considering my options which includes the use of an EGR block-off plate like the one provided by CB Engineer:
https://cb-engineer.com/products/egr-block-off-plates

I've never used one nor do I know anyone that has. My assumption is that it's sandwiched between the EGR and the mounting location to block flow to the EGR. The website indicates that "These plates allow you to block off the EGR flow from the exhaust." It doesn't say what is done with the EGR. I would imagine that the you must keep the EGR in place for the coolant lines that run through it.

If my assumption is correct, I'm going to seriously consider this option and then purchase the GDE Tune. They've advised that they can modify the tune to account for the blocked off EGR valve. I'd prefer this over purchasing an EGR valve that can range anywhere from $400-$1000 (CAD).

Alternatively, if using a resistor for the EGR like I've done for the swirl valve is an option, I'd consider this as a very cost effective option. Does anyone know if there is an EGR resistor modification similar to the swirl valve? I've searched but can't seem to find any details.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Wow! That's a ton of $$$ for an EGR Valve. Are all the CRD parts expensive?? For the Hemi's, they're only about $40-50, but I am sure yours on the CRD are a lot different. Blocking of the EGR will continue to give you a DTC/MIL showing. It will also increase your NOX emissions, and this action is illegal, at least here south of the northern border. I don't know of any of the tuner folks that will allow you to disable it for fear of retribution from the Smog Nazi's. As far as engine operation goes, you will probably not notice any difference in it, although one of the main EGR functions is to lower the combustion temperature.

Chirpz, or some of the other CRD folks may be able to give you a little more insight about the EGR System on yours. Also, there are two ways to do the block off (at least on the Hemi), and they are:
--Use the block off plate and remove the EGR Valve
--Sandwich the block off plate between the EGR Valve and the cylinder head/exhaust manifold so everything looks stock.

The few that have done it (on the Hemi's anyway) usually just remove the Valve and install the block off plate.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, Transgo Shift Kit, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Wow! That's a ton of $$$ for an EGR Valve. Are all the CRD parts expensive?? For the Hemi's, they're only about $40-50, but I am sure yours on the CRD are a lot different. Blocking of the EGR will continue to give you a DTC/MIL showing. It will also increase your NOX emissions, and this action is illegal, at least here south of the northern border. I don't know of any of the tuner folks that will allow you to disable it for fear of retribution from the Smog Nazi's. As far as engine operation goes, you will probably not notice any difference in it, although one of the main EGR functions is to lower the combustion temperature.

Chirpz, or some of the other CRD folks may be able to give you a little more insight about the EGR System on yours. Also, there are two ways to do the block off (at least on the Hemi), and they are:
--Use the block off plate and remove the EGR Valve
--Sandwich the block off plate between the EGR Valve and the cylinder head/exhaust manifold so everything looks stock.

The few that have done it (on the Hemi's anyway) usually just remove the Valve and install the block off plate.
Hey 90grandoneer.

Thanks for the reply. Yup... the EGR valve is that ridiculously expensive, which is why I'm considering my options. The tune keeps the EGR valve shut but requires that there is a functioning EGR valve to do so. A block off plate will require that the tune accommodate for the absence of the EGR. Although, I would imagine that a resistor modification like that used for the swirl valve to trick the ECU is a viable option. I just haven't seen any information that confirms this. I'm by no means an expert in this, but this is what I've read and have been informed of.

I don't believe that simply replacing the EGR valve with the plate is an option for the CRD. The EGR had coolant lines that would need to be rerouted. The same company that makes the plate also makes an entire delete kit which accounts for the coolant lines. This is almost the same price as the lower-end cost of EGR.

Up here on Ontario we have fairly strict emissions control legislation. Bypassing emission systems is not legal but is done discretely by many diesel vehicle owners, whether they are VW, Ford, GM, etc. The trade-off is improved fuel economy and performance. It doesn't mean it's right...

I'm looking forward to hearing from others that know FAR more than I do.

Thanks for your input!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 01:28 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlybandit View Post
I don't believe that simply replacing the EGR valve with the plate is an option for the CRD. The EGR had coolant lines that would need to be rerouted. The same company that makes the plate also makes an entire delete kit which accounts for the coolant lines.
I haven't looked into the CRD system, but I'm assuming there's a coolant in line and a coolant out line. Could you not just connect those together to bypass the EGR? CB makes nice looking parts but they often seem overcomplicated and are rather expensive. $45 USD for a block off plate and two bolts seems crazy to me.

2007 WK CRD QDII OME MD OMG WTF BBQ
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I have the full EGR delete kit on my CRD. The kit included a block off plate to cover the opening on the drivers side intake manifold where the EGR valve sits. There is also a plug-in resistor that goes to the connector for the EGR valve to stop any CELs.
The coolant bypass for it is just a U-shaped piece of stainless steel tubing that connects the inlet and outlets.
The rest of the kit consists of block off plates for the lower part of the intake manifold, to cover where the EGR cooler was.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
199,000+ miles!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 AM
08_CRD_WK
2008 WK 

So my question is...why do you need to delete the EGR if the GDE tune turns it off?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_CRD_WK View Post
So my question is...why do you need to delete the EGR if the GDE tune turns it off?
You don't need to. I did it remove all of the excess parts while I already had the intake manifolds off to change out the oil cooler seals.
08_CRD_WK likes this.

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
199,000+ miles!
post #8 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Curlybandit

GDE Eco Tune has been purchased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.