Easy Do It Yourself WK mods list - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Easy Do It Yourself WK mods list

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
BobG97
2005 WK 

Easy Do It Yourself WK mods list

I Have spent a lot of time reading various threads about easy DIY mods for WKs and thought I would list them out to see if I missed any. I'm not sure if this will be useful or not but I would love to see everyone's take on these mods and any others that should be listed!

So far I have:
- expanded metal grill mod
- front bumper lower valance removal
- plasti-dipped wheels, badges, and trim
- throttle body ground wire
- painted brake caliper covers
- gas tank skid notch
- HID fog and headlamp upgrade
- cargo area/lift gate LED mod
- pinch weld clearance
- Bed liner rear bumper step

I'm sure that I've missed a ton of others but these seem to be the most common mods that WK owners tend to do. I would love to see everyone's version of any of these mods!

Also if anyone can add an estimated cost to any of these mods it would be helpful to many new owners who want to make their WK their own without breaking the bank!

BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
grebesjeep
2005 WK 

"throttle body ground wire"......what does this fix???
05’ WK GC, Hemi, REC/VES, 2.25” RR lift, 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2’s, Rubicon wheels, k&N CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Factory underbody steel skid, Factory transfer steel skid, Homemade front skid, Homemade rocksliders. Commander shift nob, Nav in motion cheat, Rola roof rack, Bilstein's, Rear air bags and remote compressor, factory projector/HID retrofit, front and rear SRT8 sway bars, chrome front tow hooks….thats it for now.
grebesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
The hemi has an electronic throttle body that is only grounded by the wire harness. When you add a separate ground it helps a little with throttle response.
06 WK Limited--5.7 Hemi--QDI--Ebay Catch can--RC 2" lift--265/70/17 Cooper STT--Expanded Sheet Grill--Magnaflow muffler--Volant CAI--1.5" Spidertrax--Monroe LLs--4x Guard Front Skid--Superchips Tuned--
kllshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG97 View Post
I Have spent a lot of time reading various threads about easy DIY mods for WKs and thought I would list them out to see if I missed any. I'm not sure if this will be useful or not but I would love to see everyone's take on these mods and any others that should be listed!

So far I have:
- expanded metal grill mod
- front bumper lower valance removal
- plasti-dipped wheels, badges, and trim
- throttle body ground wire
- painted brake caliper covers
- gas tank skid notch
- HID fog and headlamp upgrade
- cargo area/lift gate LED mod
- pinch weld clearance
- Bed liner rear bumper step

I'm sure that I've missed a ton of others but these seem to be the most common mods that WK owners tend to do. I would love to see everyone's version of any of these mods!

Also if anyone can add an estimated cost to any of these mods it would be helpful to many new owners who want to make their WK their own without breaking the bank!
Expanded sheet grill <$30
Bed liner $9 for rustolium $11 for duplicolor I like the duplicolor more.
For the throttle body ground I used a $9 battery cable from Napa
06 WK Limited--5.7 Hemi--QDI--Ebay Catch can--RC 2" lift--265/70/17 Cooper STT--Expanded Sheet Grill--Magnaflow muffler--Volant CAI--1.5" Spidertrax--Monroe LLs--4x Guard Front Skid--Superchips Tuned--
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
BleedingBlue
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllshadow View Post
The hemi has an electronic throttle body that is only grounded by the wire harness. When you add a separate ground it helps a little with throttle response.
I believe you can do this with some of the 3.7's as well
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
BobG97
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep
Apparently when you add a ground wire to any one of the existing throttle body bolts it will help improve throttle response. Not sure about mpg
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
the 3.7's after 2007, I believe.
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
Sounds like black magic. I wonder if it would work for the 3.7 in the libs
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
JRLT
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Sounds like black magic. I wonder if it would work for the 3.7 in the libs
Should work as long as it's an electronic TB, AKA "Drive By Wire".
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

i still haven't tried it on my 3.7 even thought ive been saying i was going to do it for a few months now lol. if i ever get around to it i will post up what (if any) results i see...
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Can someone explain the "Gas tank skid notch".
KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
0321Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
kllshadow
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321Nick
Can someone explain the "Gas tank skid notch".
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ
When you disconnect the sway bars in the rear, there will be a lip that the lower control arm in the rear catches when fully dropped. Some people cut that lip so that it allows the arm to travel down a little further.

I have to type this because it won't let me type nothing lol
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
dnarud13
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebesjeep View Post
Like BobG said, it improves response.

Today's autos have so many electronic parts/sensors/computers that electrical 'noise' is an issue with smooth operation. Not being an electrical engineer, my understanding is that proper grounding has the effect of removing static and spurous electrical energy buildup that interfers with signal transmission and sensors. It's kinda like tuning out the static from a bad radio signal so that the computers get a clear signal. Performance tuners have been installing these for years. I thought it was kinda gimicky but when I installed a kit on my CSRT it really smoothed out the idle and improved throttle response, so I'm sold on them.

The stock grounding wires and points are pretty pathetic on autos so upgrading the grounding is a simple and fairly inexpensive modification. I don't know if anyone makes them for WK's but they wouldn't be too hard to fab up yourself; heavy gauge braided wire, gold connectors, shrink wrap. The secret would be knowing where to ground to. Most kits ground the hood, throttle body, battery, block at two places and to the body at two places.

When I bolted mine in place I used a dap of electrical conductive grease (like for spark plugs) on the connections.
dnarud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #14
dnarud13
2008 WK 

Just found a kit at http://www.andysautosport.com/jeep/2...i00000296.html
dnarud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
08Jeepin
2008 WK 

"- front bumper lower valance removal"

^Easiest and best looking mod for sure, alot more ground clearance and looks more aggressive
08Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.