Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Is each emissions test logged by the State?

486 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Sneaky2Toes 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if you can just go in and have an emissions test done on your vehicle to see if it passes? What I mean is, are the tests logged somehow? I was going to have my emissions test done before a header install so I can register the Jeep. Then, after the install and tune, go have another emissions test to see if it passes. If it fails, just wondering if that is logged and your car goes on record then as having failed emissions. Would be nice to be able to go in and test and then retune if needed and test again just to know you will pass next year when it is needed.

#2 ·
It depends on the state. I am former police and noticed that on some license plate returns, depending on state, it would show insurance validity, registration and inspection pass/fail. Here in TX once the emissions test is complete it registers within what seems like seconds as to pass/fail. I don't see any issue taking it in for a test but if you fail you still owe the cost of the test. You may be able to have it retested within a certain amount of days (usually 30) for little to no extra cost. But if you are worried about it failing, being registered with the state as a failed test, then having mr 5.0 knocking at your door I would highly doubt that would happen, but is is Utah! They can only get you if you are driving it on a public road.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I am not trying to avoid emissions, I want it to be able to pass. The problem is that I have a short time span to do all this. I work overseas and am only home a few weeks year. I don't mind paying to have the Jeep retested. I am just not sure that if I take it in and fails, if that is now my current status of the Jeep. It would be nice to know if they can just emissions check the Jeep off the record.

#4 ·
So, now in most states the emission tests are logged. This is a state regulation that allows them to know the pass/fail status. So in a short version, yes, the state would have a record that they vehicle failed the test. Again, depending on how Utah keeps/disseminates those records you could ask any patrol officer if he could run you r VIN/LP to see if it shows the status on his computer. Preferably do this while the car is parked in your driveway. The easiest way to determine this is to call your county vehicle registration office and check with them or ask any inspection station how the records are kept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.