E3 Spark plugs for 5.7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > E3 Spark plugs for 5.7

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 11-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

E3 Spark plugs for 5.7

Hey guys.

I'm trying to improve my mpg's and I was curious if anyone has used E3 spark plugs in the Hemi. If not what is the best spark plugs? Thanks guys.

Keep Jeepin!

Unread 11-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMDHemi View Post
Hey guys.

I'm trying to improve my mpg's and I was curious if anyone has used E3 spark plugs in the Hemi. If not what is the best spark plugs? Thanks guys.

Keep Jeepin!
Strongly recommend you stay with Champion 570's (or MOPAR OEM) every 30K miles. These are copper core spark plugs.

Look here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#SPARK .

IMHO, mpg's do not improve with new plugs. New plugs only give you back what worn plugs have lost over time.

Fresh intake air cleaner element, new EGR valve and PCV valve (if original), and a clean throttle body & butterfly plate will do more to help. If you do not have the EVIC readout on MDS, install the indicator light that 90grandoneer developed.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
sunrcr69
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Strongly recommend you stay with Champion 570's (or MOPAR OEM) every 30K miles. These are copper core spark plugs.

Look here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#SPARK .

IMHO, mpg's do not improve with new plugs. New plugs only give you back what worn plugs have lost over time.

Fresh intake air cleaner element, new EGR valve and PCV valve (if original), and a clean throttle body & butterfly plate will do more to help. If you do not have the EVIC readout on MDS, install the indicator light that 90grandoneer developed.

Furthermore, irridum, platinum, etc... are designed with a coating on the plug to help the plugs last longer. Gimicks like the E3, Slpitfire, etc... are designed to expose more spark to the air/fuel mixture without the use of plug indexing. The machined surface where the spark plug stops in the Hemi is designed for use with the Champion 570. As they are torqued properly, they are indexed properly.
Spark plug indexing is the practice of rotationally positioning the plug so the gap faces the center of the combustion chamber by means of spacers or machining the spark pug hole.
Any spark plug other than the Champion 570 may not have the threads starting in the same place and will throw off the index of the plug.
The E3 is great for a 75' chevy 350, but will not do anything more for the Hemi.
2005 WK 5.7L Hemi, RC 2" BB + fabrication = 3.5" lift, JK Rubicon Tires & Wheels, 1.25" Spacers, Fabricated Skidplate, Fabricated Recovery Points, Airaid CAI, Superchips, HIDs RED WK Club #10
sunrcr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

X2 ^^^ How many miles on your 05 and what all have you done to improve the mileage? When was it last tuned up? What kind of oil, spark plugs are you using and what tire pressures do you run? What is your driving style and environment....short/long runs, in town/rural/highway, what speeds, road conditions, etc.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
JeepMDHemi
2005 WK 

thanks guys i had a guy at work said he was going to put e3s in his ram and i said wait let me ask the guys on the forum to see if thats okay. so thank you again. im getting the hemi tuned and the sparks changed i just bought it about three weeks ago and the maintence log is not up to date. (navigation) so im going to start fresh. at 73,000 miles. next question is what brand oil is best for 73k? ive heard mobile 1 and royal purple? thanks for your feedback guys.

Marshall
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Marsh, any good synthetic should be good for the Hemi. The MDS seems to work a little better with synthetic. Be sure it is 0-20 or 5-20. I've used both....0-20 in the cold winter months and 5-20 the rest of the time. I change mine at 6000 mile intervals, but others I've seen change at intervals of 3000-10000 miles. Pretty much your choice and whatever you're comfortable with.

At your mileage, I'd recommend you do the complete 60K service. I just did mine about 8000 miles ago, but added a few things....especially the MAP and O2 Sensors. You may also want to consider cleaning the back side of the throttle body butterfly and adding a catch can. That should help a fair amount.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.