Dual Catch Cans? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dual Catch Cans?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

Dual Catch Cans?

If catch cans are stopping all this crud, has anyone tried installing TWO, just to see if the second one catches as much?

I ask because I don't know how much oil is flowing back into the engine. Is a single can catching 100%? 50%? 10%?

ALSO, is a catch can introducing additional resistence?

Thanks!

johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
suzieque
2008 WK 

the output hose of my catch can runs to the airbox, I've noticed oil in the bottom of the airbox and some oil film on the air filter, so I know that some oil is getting past the catch can.

more catch cans can introduce more points of failure and more resistance.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I am sure the catch can collects a pretty high %age of contaminants but, obviously not all. After about 30K with my catch can, I have a very slight film of oil on the back side of the throttle body butterfly. It easily wiped off with a lint free cloth. I think it would be a good experiment to see exactly how much the second can would catch although, like suzieque says, more stuff, more poetential problems. If you do it, let us know how it goes.

I believe the only resistance in the system is the PCV Valve. Try blowing through a catch can inlet and see how much comes out the outlet.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

FWIW, Arrington has paper on this that I thought was interesting. Here's the link to the PDF:

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Excellent article! Thanks for posting it. Lots of good info. there.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
suzieque
2008 WK 

The Arrington document is an interesting, though they don't mention diesel engines.

The dual catch can in the Arrington document are actually for 2 different breather lines on the gas engines. On the CRD, I am only aware of 1 breather line and I suspect that johngreen1234's question was about putting dual catch can on the 1 breather line.

Also, the CRD does not have PCV, it has a CCV, probably for the reasons described in the Arrington document about why PCV "fail" on high boost applications.
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
mykdee311
2005 WK 

i'm not sure what a ccv is, but you are correct about PCV valves not being ideal for a turbo engine. when the intake is pressurized by the turbo it creates more pressure than what is in the crankcase, which closes the pcv valve (hopefully) if it doesn't you are just boosting directly into the crankcase. regardless, at the same time air is being pressurized in the crankcase, thanks to blow by at the rings. which causes several problems. i.e. oil blowing out of the dipstick or elsewhere, the pressure can actually restrict oil from returning to the crankcase.

i'm familiar with a few solution. venting directly out of the crankcase is preferred over the valve cover, with either a venturi tube in the exhaust, or a pulley driven pump.

the benefits of crankcase evac pumps are not only true for turbo engines though. it creates a vacuum(preferably 10-14"), having your crank spin in a vacuum is more efficient. i know they would benefit any size motor but i've heard small block chevy's can gain 20hp, some big blocks around 30hp. they have oil/vapor separators & a catch can. and the constant relatively high vacuum pressure keeps moisture from building up and contaminating the oil. i've heard great things about mileage too, but don't have much daily driving experience of my own

i would experiment on my ride with an electric smog pump hooked up to the pcv system to remove all the moisture thats creating the sludge you guys are seeing, but i don't even get the slightest bit of oil in my intake and the breather hose is always spotless clean. pvc valve is original and works great.

i don't think that two catch cans is really the answer though...if one can't catch it all between regular cleanings, then IMO the best option is: removing the breather from the intake system, and evacuating the the system with a different vacuum source.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.