Dtc u0160 2008 wk crd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Dtc u0160 2008 wk crd

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Dtc u0160 2008 wk crd

HI folks,

Got a CEL on my 2008 CRD Limited last night. Pulled code U0106 "Lost Communication with Glow Plug Control Module".

Had a look under the hood this morning. It all seems normal. Pulled the glow plug module, cleaned connectors, inspected wiring, reconnected. No luck, code remains. I will double-check the ground wire near the fuel filter, as that has popped up in my online search.

The Jeep starts and runs fine. The CEL came on while on the highway last night while at a nice smooth cruise.

FWIW, I have had 3 of the 6 glow plugs replaced since Christmas. Will make sure they all get done (175000 km, so due anyway). I'm guessing, though, that I'm in for a new control module?

Anyone used the Dorman module available at Rock Auto? I can get it delivered to Ontario for $160CAD, which seems hard to beat. I'll pony up for the OEM/Mercedes part though if it's worth the extra scratch.

Thanks

Unread 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

If you have no luck clearing the code, I paid $170 USD for a Mercedes glow plug module. It's even less now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130855593826...S:1120&vxp=mtr
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I believe it takes a few on/off cycles, w/no fault detected, for some DTC's to clear in the ECU. I clear my codes manually then drive t see if they return. Otherwise, it might take a few days for them to clear on their own.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Thanks guys. The U0106 code cleared itself after a few on/off cycles and kilometers driven. Perhaps my cleaning the contacts on the module helped, maybe not.

I'll be keeping an eye out for good prices on the glow plug module, as I think mine is getting a bit dodgy. In the meantime, I'll replace the last 3 original glow plugs just to be on the safe side there too, as I've heard that mixing old and new plugs can sometimes cause problems (old ones may need more voltage to heat up than newer ones?). It's easy enough to do, so might as well get 'er dun!
Unread 04-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
JT77
2008 WK 

I would hold off on replacing the other glow plugs till you're sure the module is good. The module will burn up glow plugs sometimes when it fails; also check the ground for the module at the fuel filter.
JT77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTheriault View Post
I would hold off on replacing the other glow plugs till you're sure the module is good. The module will burn up glow plugs sometimes when it fails; also check the ground for the module at the fuel filter.
Ah. Thanks. Good point!
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

Can you show me where the ground for the module is??, fuel filter area. That would help a lot. Thanks in advance.
Craigyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
JT77
2008 WK 

Take the engine cover off to locate the fuel filter in the center of the engine between the intake manifolds. Then locate the wiring harness plugged into the filter. There is one wire that is not plugged into the filter. It is bolted down to the intake manifold via a ring terminal. This is your module ground. When my module started to act up, info I found on this forum led me to this potential problem. It was corroded. I installed a new ring terminal with solder and shrink tube. Code went away for about two weeks but ended up returning for good. This ground could of contributed to the module failure.
JT77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Craigyfm
2006 WK 

Thanks mate I'll have a look into mine.!!
Craigyfm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

CEL keeps coming on and off - 4 times now since the original post, all showing U0106 error code "Lost communication with glow plug module". Have ordered the Dorman replacment module from Rock Auto (Dorman 904-310). Hopefully that does the trick! Will update when I get it in.
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

OK! New part arrived yesterday. Just got it installed in my CRD. Fit just fine, and the WK started right up. Idle speed seemed slightly lower than what I'm used to, but that could just be the difference in weather - it's FINALLY spring here in my part of Ontario!

Not sure, but I suspect the glow plug module had already been swapped out at some point as the one I pulled looked nothing like the one I put in. It's a Mercedes Benz unit # A6421532079000, which Google tells me is listed as "MERCEDES E W211 02-09 Relay - preheater ". Very different shape than the Dorman version, but they both fit the mounts, so I'm not worried about it.

Here's the two side by each - old one on left, Dorman on right:

[IMG][/IMG]

Time will tell if I've sorted out my problem....
Unread 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
Chirpz

2007 WK 

So how is that Doorman module doing? I ordered on the other day for mine. Has not arrivedyet.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #13
08CanuckCRD
2008 WK 

Chirpz - So far so good on the Dorman GPCM. No more CEL and starts & runs fine. I still need to replace 3 original glow plugs, which I think should improve things even more by evening out glow plug resistances across all cylinders.

Dorman unit was a doddle to install. Took 10 minutes start to finish.
08CanuckCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.