Drove a Commander today - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drove a Commander today

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM   #31
SYCOHEMI

I like the menus too. It's very easy to set a variety of features, like door locks and other things. Very cool. I could barely set the clock on a Mercedes E500, it was not intuitive at all.

Glad the Jeep makes it a piece of cake.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #32
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

I drove commando today today too!!!!!

oops, nevermind, I misread the title
Unread 10-21-2005, 11:51 PM   #33
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We have been debating what to buy. We live near Georgetown, CA and need a SUV. The current deals available for the 2005 Grand Cherokee are VERY attractive and we've been researching for a while. Now that the Commanders are out, I like the option of having the third row. We've also looked at the Denali and qx56. I like the refinement and better interior, but I'm still leaning towards the Jeep.
For those of you that have had the for a few weeks? How is the ride? Has anyone gone for a long trip in it yet? It might have to come down to cost. Folsom Lake Jeep had a few 2005's fully loaded and they are willing to deal. (around 34k) No one isn't really willing to deal on the new 2006 Commander.

I got the cash and a trade in... just haven't made up my mind.
ARB Front Locker
PowerTrax No-Slip Rear Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #34
SYCOHEMI

The ride quality is great, the engine is smooth and powerful. I looked at the QX56 and Armada too. Those drive very well too.

I wanted the offroad capability of the Jeep though, which I will test soon.

This sunday I am taking the Cayenne to Big Bear, and doing the difficult rated Gold Mountain Trail. I wish I could take the Commander, but this is the one Porsche club event where I can take my vehicle and not be looked down upon by the 911 and Boxster drivers. Heheh. Just kidding.

Ultimately, I didn't want the lousy gas mileage of the larger SUVs.

I wish the gas tank was larger, and I wish there was more room in the driver's foot area, but those are my two quibbles.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:26 AM   #35
SYCOHEMI

Yeah, looking at the $6K off or so that you can get on a loaded Grand Cherokee, it was a hard decision. But the $1500 rebate off a Commander, plus whatever you can deal, I think the Commander Ltd is worth at least $5K more than a Grand Cherokee. The sunroofs and third row are great, and in my opinion, it looks better and is more practical.

I was also looking at a LR3, but I think for $15K less, the Jeep is a good choice. Good luck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMGP1659.jpg

And you can believe me, I will definitely be taking the Commander offroad. Here is what it shares the garage with. I just took the Cayenne S on Gold Mountain Trail in Big Bear today. It did well. Joined by a H2, Disco, Land Cruiser, Xterra, Range Rover, Cherokee, Touareg V10 TDI, and V8 Touareg.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...I/IMG_0058.jpg
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Last edited by SYCOHEMI; 11-09-2005 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Add photo links
Unread 11-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #36
kybanker

Had my commander limitted for about a week now and couldn't be happier. I've owned and '03 Range Rover, '03 Lexus GX470, '02 BMW X5, '03 Escalade and and '03 Hummer H2 and the Commander is my favorite by far. I have been really impressed with the ride quality and the seating position. It has a look and stare quality to it.
kybanker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #37
possum

The deal on the '05 Grand Cherokee is super and is no doubt the best buy. We have had our Commander for a few days and love it. The fuel milage is ok [15-16] but the ride super. The Limited has the perks such as moonroof, Sirius, 4.7L engine standard so that is the way I would go. If ride and comfort are high on your list then you will not be disappointed. The unique looks sets this suv apart from the others and for a Jeep purist, the throwback, retro looks of the Commander are a winner. We paid $700 over invoice for our Commander so I would shop around. Take a look at a small Mom and Pop dealer. I have found that the smaller dealers don't have the high pressure salesmen, dealer add-on stickers, and the overall buying experience at the smaller dealers far better. Good luck.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #38
SYCOHEMI

Wow, Kybanker, that is a lot of different vehicles in a short amount of time.

How would you rank the rest of the vehicles in terms of favorites?

Just curious...
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 11-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #39
irish1966

I just bought a Commander in dark khaki 2 days ago and I love it. We own a 2003 H2 as well, but I love how the Commander handles. I drove a Lincoln Navigator for several years and I think that the Commander handles just as good if not better. The interior is nice and the third row of seats is a plus. I just ordered some extra stuff for it and I plan on having a lot of fun with it.
irish1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #40
SYCOHEMI

What kind of extra stuff did you order?

I added all the factory skid plates and the front tow hooks.

I was considering the roof rack. And maybe a yellow top Optima, to run accessories, like ARB fridge.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 11-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #41
Chris05GrdCherk

For F***'s sake do NOT buy a QX56, that thing rattles like crazy
Unread 11-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #42
SYCOHEMI

I had researched the Armada and QX56 a while ago and found that many were complaining of poor brakes during the first editions of these models. You might want to look into that and make sure it has been resolved.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #43
spikebi

Ive had mine for a month now and could not be happier. I was hoping gas milage would be at 19 on the road but i just back from a 200 mile road trip and only got 15 but I love the hemi. I have yet to see another one on the road yet here in MPLS/St Paul. I got mine with just about every thing possible. The saddle brown seats look great with the inferno red exterior.
spikebi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #44
KristiAnn

Very Kewl! I am happy ya liked it. God Bless ALL Jeepers!
KristiAnn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #45
kybanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
Wow, Kybanker, that is a lot of different vehicles in a short amount of time.

How would you rank the rest of the vehicles in terms of favorites?

Just curious...

1.) commander
2.) range rover
3.) BMW X5
4.) Lexus GX470
5.) H2
kybanker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.