Drove a Commander today - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drove a Commander today

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
SYCOHEMI

FYI, Cinci-Sur helped me post some pics in the "Do you think the aftermarket will support this vehicle" thread of my new Commander also.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #17
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Going to work yesterday I saw a Limited 5.7 Commander. Very nice.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #18
jeepsterwannabe

i'm starting to get a chubby

new jeep, 00 Grand Cherokee, 2WD (i know..)
jeepsterwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2005, 05:10 AM   #19
copbait

5047lbs with the 4.7
copbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #20
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

5K is a big chubby.

Hunter

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

Unread 10-06-2005, 02:22 AM   #21
copbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
5K is a big chubby.
copbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #22
Llanero

Test Drove a Commander Yesterday too

I went by the local Jeep dealership and test drove a Commander. I like all the bells and whistles. My currnet DD is a '92 Cherokee Laredo with 196,000 miles on it so I was surprised at the 13 years of technology that I have missed out on in the newer vehicles. She has been a reliable ride all these years and has provided much enjoyment during our frequent 4-wheeling trips to Colorado and around Oklahoma. I am starting to have some electrical problems so I am in the market for a new vehicle. When I heard that Jeep was coming out with a 7-passenger Jeep, I was hoping for something larger than the Grand Cherokee. When my 3 kids were smaller, long trips to Colorado were not a problem in the Cherokee. Now they are getting a little cramped. Passenger room and cargo space are a high priority. When I compared total cargo capacity of the Grand Cherokee and the Commander, the Grand has more cargo space (70.8cf) than the Commander (68.5cf). My '92 Cherokee has more than both at 71.8cf. Other than the 7-passenger feature, I don't understand why Jeep would make a vehicle that so closely mimics the Grand Cherokee. They even share the same wheelbase. And why couldn't they put a larger fuel tank in it. 20.5 gallons is too small for a Hemi engine. Maybe the aftermarket will make an auxillary tank to replace the spare tire.

I have checked out the H2, H3 and Fords but I will probably end up getting another Jeep since they have always been fun, reliable (except for that period in the '80s when the transmissions were crap) and that is all my family has ever driven.
Llanero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #23
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

FYI: the Commander is built directly off the Grand Cherokee platform, hence the similar dimensions, interior, and identical drivetrains. And yes, the whole point in the Commander is to get a 7-seater in the Jeep line-up.

You might also check out the new Nissan Pathfinder and the Nissan Armada. I personally really like the H3, but it would definitely be too small for what you're looking for.

I think the problem you'll find with the midsize 7-seaters is space. The 3rd row in most is really only suitable for small kids, especially on a long road trip, and cargo space behind the 3rd row will be miniscule. If you want 3 rows with decent cargo space, I think you'll have to step up to a full-size, like the Tahoe, Armada, Sequoyah, etc., or get a rooftop cargo carrier.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #24
Booyah Syndicat

I want one badly.
Booyah Syndicat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #25
SYCOHEMI

Go get one! You won't regret it. HEMI Engine is smooth, transmission shifts nicely, and receiving a lot of compliments. Just waiting for the aftermarket to catch up so I can raise it a couple inches and get some nice AT's or MT's on it for offroading. And there is a $1500 factory rebate available, or at least there was when I bought mine last month. So that definitely helps. With the third row down, cargo space is pretty good, but nothing like my 2001 Tahoe. But then again, the Commander is much more fun to drive and easier to park and manuever. I like it better. And the Tahoe was kind of a boat offroad, so I am looking forward to getting the Commander out there and seeing what it can do. I do wish the gas tank was a little larger.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 10-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #26
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Who let Jason in here? Debby downer.

Hunter

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

Unread 10-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #27
roguescout

Can they make mine with a Cummins 600 diesel and all the goodies from Banks on it?

I want to climb up skyscrapers with it.

Hell, we can't even get a Liberty with its diesel out here because...

Well, because we're just a bunch of idiots.
roguescout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #28
spikebi

Got mine

I took delivery of my Commander Limited with the Hemi last week. I ordered it on 9/12/05 and was really surprised they got it done so quickly. I loaded it up with the DVD/Navigation and U Connect hand free phone. The electronics are great, very impressive and I'm overwhelmed with all the customer tweaking you can do with the smart beams, rain sensitive wipers, door locks, power seats ect. I really think the saddle brown leather seats set off the interior. I got the inferno red. The cabin is very quite and this Commander really outshines my old 2002 Durando R/T/.
spikebi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM   #29
SYCOHEMI

Congrats on your new Red Commander. Let me know how you like the U Connect phone feature. I don't have bluetooth yet, but I noticed that it is listed in the Commander accessories brochure.

Post some pics if you can. Can't wait to see it!
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 10-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #30
CinciSurWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikebi
I took delivery of my Commander Limited with the Hemi last week. I ordered it on 9/12/05 and was really surprised they got it done so quickly. I loaded it up with the DVD/Navigation and U Connect hand free phone. The electronics are great, very impressive and I'm overwhelmed with all the customer tweaking you can do with the smart beams, rain sensitive wipers, door locks, power seats ect. I really think the saddle brown leather seats set off the interior. I got the inferno red. The cabin is very quite and this Commander really outshines my old 2002 Durando R/T/.
Congratulation on your purchase !!! and welcome to the JEEP world.

How do you like the saddle brown seats. They look so great and I was really impressed with it when I saw them in my friend's Ford f-350 KingRanch.
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.