Drove a Commander today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drove a Commander today

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Tispco

Drove a Commander today

The first Commander arrived at the Jeep dealer near my office. I was very impressed. I thought it looked better than the pictures, especially the back end. It was a base model with the 3.7L, one of the option packages, and rear air. The driver's seating position was the biggest surprise. Lots of headroom with a narrow windshield and a big hood. Similar to an XJ, but a lot like a Hummer H3 I drove recently. The interior also did not come off as cheap as the base Grand Cherokee interior and there is more room in the back seat. The back seat sits up noticably higher than the front and the third row is probably best for kids. Overall on the outside, it seemed almost as big as a current Explorer and a lot bigger than an XJ. It rode nice and seemed to be put together well. Obviously, it is not an off-road vehicle like a Wrangler, but it seems like it would be capable. It was definitely a Jeep and it should compete well with the other 3 row SUV's out there. If the gas prices don't continue to skyrocket (and we all have to start driving economy cars!), I will probably get one of these as my daily driver.

Rocky Road Armor

07 RockRed Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.7L V-8
QuadraDrive II
Off-Road Package
Tispco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
marauder

I agree with all this. I also drove one. The dealership near me was on their second one when I got there, and it had the 3.7L also. Felt like a solid vehicle to drive. I can't imagine the 3.7 would have a lot of pep if you actually put 7 people in it though. I would like to drive it with the 4.7L in it.

[COLOR=Sienna]Sienna Jeep Club #4[/COLOR]
marauder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't driven it, but I saw a silver one at the dealer. It looked a helluva lot better than any pictures I had seen of it. Its a bit much for me, especially with my parking garage at work, but it looked good.

I hope to hear good things about it.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
1STONER

they do look alot better in person. the pics on the internet dont do it justice at all. I think its a great looking vehichle
1STONER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
superflysmith

I just bought a Grand Cherokee a month ago. I would have loved to have waited for a month or so to buy the Commander but my wife would have been to afraid to drive the bigger truck. arrgghh. Oh well maybe in five years I can get one.
I have yet to see one in person but they sure do look cool even in the online pics.
superflysmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got to see one in person last night. I have to I like it a lot after seeing it for real. It's too low of course. They should build them like the lifted burgundy one they had on display at CampJeep.

Biggest problem is the price. MSRP of $44k for a loaded HEMI Limited? That's nearly $8k more than a loaded H3 (that comes with 33's, 4:1 t'case, and electric rear locker) and about $6k more than a loaded 2wd Nissan Armada, which is a fullsize with more options (like power liftgate, fold-down front passenger seat, reverse camera, etc).
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
Ndru

I went to the Dealer yesterday, they had 3. 2 were 4.7 (blk &blu) and a red 3.7 that wasn't in the showroom . I agree that it looks much better in person, the interior is very nice, with the more upright windshield you dont have the top of the windshield near your head like the Grand...makes me clausterphobic. I'm interested to know how hard it will be to remove the 3rd row. it's basically worthless except maybe a kid , and it almost completely blocks the rear window. I think that prices are reasonable if you compare the market. , plus you KNOW jeep will be offering all kinds of rebates and discounts as usual. I was surprised to see that a Commander weighs 1000 lbs less than the H3 and the Explorer. and power is as good or better than both .
Ndru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndru
I was surprised to see that a Commander weighs 1000 lbs less than the H3 and the Explorer.
What? Who told you that?? They were WRONG. According to Jeep, the base curb weight of a 4wd Commander is 4,783#. I'm not sure which engine that's with though.

According to HUMMER, base curb weight of the H3 is 4700#. I couldn't easily find curb weight info on the Exploder on Ford's website though.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Ndru

OOps, I read the GVWR which is 5850 and 5720 respectfully. That would include passengers and cargo... Making the Commander reasonably the same weight.
Guess you cant believe everything you read on the internet folks

My wife wants the H3 real bad, I'm trying build a case for the Commander . I just dont think that we will be happy long term with the 5cyl engine. What's funny about the Commander is that it will be compared to the H3 on the low end and to the Explorer Limited and Envoy Denali on the high end. both of those go into the low 40's and of course have less power than the Hemi. It should be interesting to see which of those target markets are more responsive to the Commander.
Unread 09-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
What? Who told you that?? They were WRONG. According to Jeep, the base curb weight of a 4wd Commander is 4,783#. I'm not sure which engine that's with though.

According to HUMMER, base curb weight of the H3 is 4700#. I couldn't easily find curb weight info on the Exploder on Ford's website though.

I'm suprised the H3 has that much mass...

I don't think I would ever want to own an XK... But I do like the way they look! It is way more Jeep than I'll ever need... and I think it would be pretty hard to wheel becuase of it's size...
Unread 09-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndru
My wife wants the H3 real bad, I'm trying build a case for the Commander . I just dont think that we will be happy long term with the 5cyl engine. What's funny about the Commander is that it will be compared to the H3 on the low end and to the Explorer Limited and Envoy Denali on the high end. both of those go into the low 40's and of course have less power than the Hemi. It should be interesting to see which of those target markets are more responsive to the Commander.
The biggest problem with the Commander, especially vs the H3, is the cost. A fully loaded XK with the Hemi stickers at like $44k. But you get 3 sunroofs, overhead DVD, rear air, etc. None of which is available on the H3. But, for about $10k less than a loaded XK, you can get a nice H3 with 33's, a 4:1 t'case, and electric rear locker.

My wife and I went out and test drove an H3 the other night, and we were actually pretty impressed with it. The I5 is certainly no powerhouse in the H3, but I don't think it was really any more sluggish than a 4.0L Jeep on 33's. If GM would wise-up and put their little V8 in the H3 though, that thing would be hard to beat. There seemed to be lots of room on the inside, and the whole cargo area including the backs of the backseat is rubberized or has plastic plating.

We haven't gotten to drive an XK yet though. For a DD that' you're not planning to wheel, price aside, I think the XK is probably better. It's a bit bigger with a lot more high-end options and features. It sits too low though, and has puny tires...

Unread 09-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Ndru

I was able to drive the 4.7 and the 3.7. the ride was stable and it manuvered better than I thought the 4700+ lbs would the v6 barely had enough power definately struggled, but I think the 4.7 was plenty of power. The commander has lots of nice features like the back up sensors , good 4 wife, and the fact you cant see squat w the 3rd row up. The 28u package comes with all of the options and the 4.7 . but no 4wd. That puts msrp at 32k .
After driving the commander I would think it matches the explorer and other family haulers closely. I think that next years 4door wrangler will better compare to the H3.
Unread 09-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
SYCOHEMI

Just got a new Commander

Hello there,

I just picked up a brand new Midnight Blue Commander Limited in Southern CA. The rebate applied so there is another $1500 off, even though it's a 2006. I also negotiated a little bit more. I got the HEMI 5.7liter engine and I am trying to break it in as soon as possible. But even using just 60% of the throttle, it feels fairly healthy. I think I am definitely going to like it.

Steering feels good, and the ride is very nice and controlled. Braking power seems smooth so far. I am pretty impressed so far, with the interior. My wife likes the stadium seating a lot. Comments from onlookers has been positive about the look. Mostly I wanted the boxy shape so that it would have good storage and utility. The Cayenne drives amazing, but it can't carry too much.

The Commander's third row seating does take up some cargo space, but it's much better than the seats I had in my 2001 Tahoe, that I basically removed and left in my garage since they took up so much room. The Jeep design is much better in that regard.

I had been doing my research and was looking at the LR3, and the Volvo XC90, but I wanted something I could definitely offroad with, so the Volvo was out, and I wasn't positive about the LR3 reliability. My wife's Cayenne S has been taking a beating in previous offroad adventures, with a cracked rear control arm and other minor casualties from medium sized rocks.

I am enjoying the vehicle so far, and plan to do a 3 day trip along Old Mojave Road with some camping. So, I'll need to outfit a rack and carry gas, water and other supplies. Let me know if anyone has suggestions for a place to buy a nice safari rack and mounts for the gas and water cans.

I also would like to know the largest diameter A/T tires that can be put on the vehicle in its stock height.

Thanks!
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2005, 11:07 PM   #14
JIMBOJAMES

How do they look lifted????? thats I all I want to know
Unread 09-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
dascrow

here some pics of a new commander they just got in at my local dealership:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

I agree.. alot better looking in person then what I have been seeing in magazines.
dascrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.