Drone after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drone after lift

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

Drone after lift

Hi all! A couple of weeks ago I had the Superlift installed on my XK. I have the AEV XK Pintlers with 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors installed.

So now at highway speeds (> 50mph) I have a drone of sorts that's rather annoying. I have had these tires in the past in stock size and know they can be nice and quiet. So I'm wondering if the drone has to do with the balancing method used. Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this? Could the drone be due to something else?

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Caroline Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / Activated: DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29 Chrome CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights / Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low & yellow fogs / Optima yellow top
"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
lekmedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
jebo0420
2006 WK 

does it continue after u reach 50mph? wheel bearings can cause a drone... just a thought.
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebo0420 View Post
does it continue after u reach 50mph? wheel bearings can cause a drone... just a thought.
Yes, the drone continues.

I would doubt it would be the bearings since just before the lift all was well.

There was a moment I thought of the exhaust droning, but that would be a bit too coincidental, too. But when I rev the engine there is no strange exhaust noises.
2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Caroline Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / Activated: DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29 Chrome CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights / Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low & yellow fogs / Optima yellow top
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
jebo0420
2006 WK 

I had a problem with a ford sport track, guy insisted it was the exhaust. Front pass bearing. The fact that the lift was just installed could have been the stresser... FWIW
jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

Just a thought, is there any chance you popped a small hole in the downpipe when you dimpled the exhaust, and its expanding when you get that monster moving 50mph? Possibly have some rubbing on the driveshaft?

Also, in regards to your tire balancing: What method exactly? I use the auto-balancing beads in my Duratrac's and don't have too much nub rumble.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...al_28200729-p?
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

I suppose it's possible the exhaust has a small leak now. I had a professional install the lift, so I didn't personally modify the exhaust pipe. Since I'm recovering from surgery now, it'll be a couple of weeks before I can slide myself under to check myself.

Concerning balancing, I think he said there is static and dynamic balancing. With one method he was able to use less weights to obtain balance. The other method needed like 14 oz. on a wheel for balance! I don't recall which was which.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Sounds like bearings even though you said you just changed them. The drone from them is so annoying. I'm currently saving up to fix mine.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

Well, I thought I'd report back in with some answers.

The drone was caused by a bad pinion angle in the back caused by the longer SL lower control arms. I got a set of adjustable uppers from Rusty's to compensate, and all is well. There are pictures up on TUJ.com.
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

was reading this and was going to reply u-joint angle.. but i see you figured that out.

who did you get your wheels from? they look sharp.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #10
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
Well, I thought I'd report back in with some answers.

The drone was caused by a bad pinion angle in the back caused by the longer SL lower control arms. I got a set of adjustable uppers from Rusty's to compensate, and all is well. There are pictures up on TUJ.com.
thanks for posting back your solution to the problem.

by the way, your rig looks awesome!
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.