Driving 10mph, steering wheel locks up and engine dies... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Driving 10mph, steering wheel locks up and engine dies...

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Rwebber77
2005 WK 

Driving 10mph, steering wheel locks up and engine dies...

Wow, I have a question that has me beyond stumped. I was driving about 10mph in town (pulling into gas station with half tank while applying the brakes) and all of a sudden the steering wheel locks up and the engine shuts down.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?? I am scared to take this out of town because driving 10mph is manageable with a complete shutdown, 70mph is not.

I appreciate any help on this.

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
stroked250
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't happen to have cruise control on did you? I have not tested my Jeep yet, but in my old 04 Explorer, if I used cruise at a slow speed and went down hill, the car would stall and shut off due to low engine speed. Symptons were as you described, wheel locked up and car shuts down.

Seemed to be a bug in the cars software
stroked250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Rwebber77
2005 WK 

The cruise was on and set for highway speeds but was not set for that low of a speed. My first thought was throttle body but that wouldn't have any effect on the steering column would it?

Hoping it was a glitch but not sure I want to experience that "glitch" again.
Unread 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Are you sure the engine didn't stall first? Without the engine running you have no power steering and it will be extremely difficult to turn the wheel, but it won't be "locked" up.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
shakess9

Are any Diagnostic Codes coming up? I had a similar problem with my WJ a couple years ago. It was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Hard to get to, because it's housed down by the tranny. I could go about 5 miles before it would act up again and lock everything up. After replacing it, everything was back to normal. Good Luck
shakess9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
dstone20
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwebber77 View Post
Wow, I have a question that has me beyond stumped. I was driving about 10mph in town (pulling into gas station with half tank while applying the brakes) and all of a sudden the steering wheel locks up and the engine shuts down.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?? I am scared to take this out of town because driving 10mph is manageable with a complete shutdown, 70mph is not.

I appreciate any help on this.

My 09 5.7L stalled twice at low speeds. 5-10MPH. No engine, no power steering, so it feels like the steering is locked up. Dealership re-flashed the computer and it has never done it since.
dstone20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
RLeVan
2006 WK 

I wonder if it's possibly a faulty ignition switch. That would be my only guess since you said the steering wheel locked.
RLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Rwebber77
2005 WK 

Hey guys I appreciate all the responses. Now that I look back I would definitely say it was just loss of power steering from the engine killing. I changed the ignition switch about 6 months ago to cure the instrument panel flashes so I doubt it's that one. No codes whatsoever came up and I double checked with my tuner and it showed nothing.

So what type of price point am I looking at for a re-flash??
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
brutusjeep
2006 WK 

Did you by chance hit the key with your knee when turning into the gas station? Taller drivers seem to have this issue.
2006 GC Limited, 5.7L HEMI, Quad II. 4XGUARD Belly & Front (black powder coat) skid plates. Matrix front guard, PIAA Matrix mounted lights, 265/70 Nitto Trail Graplers MT, 1.5" Spider Trax spacers, Super Chips Tuner, OME MD Lift, 4XGUARD differential guard, JBA UCA'S.
brutusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

I think the dealers usually hit you around $100+ for a reflash. Some won't do it unless there is a specific problem (which you obviously have) that warrants the flash. What I did is purchase a Diablosport tuner, which allows you to update to the latest CALID's for both the PCM and the TCM. Get a dealer estimate and then deduct what the dealer flash would cost from the tuner cost and you have your net tuner cost. It should come out to be $150-200. Not bad, IMO, and then you can update CALID's as needed and also add more efficient tunes to the hemi. I have both the Superchips and Diablosport. Provides lots of flexibility this way, because each has their advantages.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Rwebber77
2005 WK 

Yeah, they are asking about $100 for a reflash. I think you are onto something and I am going to look into a Diablo I think, but first I need to sell an SCT tuner I've had for about a year. I could just go online and update the SCT, but I like the options of the Diablo.

Oh, and nothing else has happened since that one incident.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
anywaytothetop
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusjeep View Post
Did you by chance hit the key with your knee when turning into the gas station? Taller drivers seem to have this issue.
This is a common problem fro new Jeep owners.
anywaytothetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
dieth
2008 WK 

I'd look for a vacuum leak...look for the simplest probable before throwing parts at it. Doesn't take much of a leak to make the engine die at idle, especially when the power steering load is on the engine.
dieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Rsong

Same thing happened to me today. Brakes stalled also and could only go half way down to not at all. I restarted the car and worked as i pulled to the side of the road Problem is i am 30 miles from the nearest jeep dealer. Was it safe for you to drive it again? Highway?
Rsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
JRLT
2010 WK 

This may not apply but I heard iPhone car chargers can do goofy things to vehicles.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.