Drivers window rattle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drivers window rattle?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Vinnie_Sixgun
2008 WK 

Drivers window rattle?

My wife and I just bought a 08 WK used with 30k miles. it's a nice ride, our first Jeep and we love it. that being said... about 2 weeks ago she came home and said her window was rattleing. i kinda brushed it off until last week i got out of the Jeep and when the door shut i heard it.

Now... i did a forum search before i posted this because i know better. haha! i've been part of many forums and every question i've ever had was posted AFTER a seach.

Has anyone ever heard of a window rattle? is there a piece that may have broken or come loose in the door? it's not the "door rattle" i found a lot of when i searched. it's a definate glass hitting metal sound. it happens over bigger bumps or door closing.

can anyone help?

OR what's involved in pulling the panel to take a look for myself?

Thanks in advance...

Vinnie_Sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
truterbusch
2006 WK 

I have a 06' gc. My window rattles when its in the down position and I close the door or go over bumps. It is silent rolled up. Im not the original owner and figured it had been possibly replaced incorrectly at some point. This probably doesnt help you but maybe more people have this problem. -Travis
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie_Sixgun View Post
.... what's involved in pulling the panel to take a look for myself?
Here's a link for door trim panel removal: Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Interior trim removal

FWIW, my '08 doesn't do that.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Vinnie_Sixgun
2008 WK 

Thanks so much. Yea same here truter... i'll pull it apart and let you know what i find. haha!
Vinnie_Sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

2007 GC same here. I actually roll them up a bit so they won't rattle as bad. I cringe everytime either drivers or passenger door is rolled all the way down and someone slams the door. Sounds like this is a norm on the WK. My WJ windows were solid and quiet. Knowing how Chrysler has been making window tracks lately, they are one piece with cable actuation. Probably did not secure the other end and is a design flaw.
BLEEDNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
fishinbama
2007 WK 

This is very common. I think it is more due to someone being lax at the factory. My jeep did this when new and I got it fixed under warranty. The tsb can be located at wkjeeps .
fishinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
lagonwagon
2007 WK 

I have this same issue. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.
lagonwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

Window rattle

Okay so today was the last day I was going to listen to my windows rattle in my 2007 WK or cringe when slamming my doors. Surprisingly the fix was simple. Only 1/2 hour to fix both driver and passenger doors. All you need is a tube of 3M Weather Stipping Adhesive RTV and 1/2 hour. You have to pop the door panels and then the black weather plastic cover underneath. You will also need to remove the speaker. I noticed a 12 inch piece of rubber window channel laying in the bottom of both doors. Years or rolling them down and some rust on the channel causes them to fall off. If someone can put these pics on the thread so they stay as the free uploading service will delete them in 2 weeks!

Unread 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

Here is the culprit that fell off-

Unread 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

Here is the channel missing through the speaker-

Unread 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

Here is the channel in place I used the 3M weather strip and adhesive (comes in tube like rtv) to hold it from falling again! No more rattle when slamming doors!

Unread 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
TRZ
2008 WK 

Dup pics deleted, can't delete post.
TRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEEDNJEEP View Post
...I cringe everytime either drivers or passenger door is rolled all the way down and someone slams the door.
Not gonna lie, i've lost a few friends over this, or might just be busy if they just so happen to need a ride. i HATE it when people slam my doors.
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
. i HATE it when people slam my doors.
X2.

I tell people that they do not have to slam it, it's not a Ford or Chevy...... There are a few doors I'd like to slam, but they aren't on the WK.

BLEEDNJEEP: Thank you for the posts & pictures.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

No more embarassment here either! I can slam my doors proudly now! I know what you are saying. I was surprised how easily the door skin popped off after taking out the 3 screws. I didn't even break one tab!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.