Driver's seat cracking. Where to purchase? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Driver's seat cracking. Where to purchase?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Driver's seat cracking. Where to purchase?

Our 05 Grand lower outside seat bottom is cracking where my wife slides into the Jeep. There are now 5 or so 4" cracks and I'd like to repair or replace it. There is also a small tear in the back of the seat cover that I made a long time ago loading materials into the back.

Can you buy a driver's seat cover replacement? Where? The seats are the two tone grey leather(ette) that came in 05 Limiteds.

Unread 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
JackB1
2008 WK 

Here is a site that you can check for seat covers.
http://www.carcoverplanet.com/2005-j...FQGFnQodwXkAXQ
JackB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Here is a site that you can check for seat covers.
http://www.carcoverplanet.com/2005-j...FQGFnQodwXkAXQ
Thanks. I am looking for a factory replacement that matches the rest of the interior.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
fingaz
2009 WK 

No info on a factory replacement, but I know someone just had their leather seat bottom replaced (see the "What did you do to your WK today?" thread). Usually you can go to any Auto Interior place and they can replace any piece that needs to be fixed. From the pic I saw online, they did a pretty good job.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
No info on a factory replacement, but I know someone just had their leather seat bottom replaced (see the "What did you do to your WK today?" thread). Usually you can go to any Auto Interior place and they can replace any piece that needs to be fixed. From the pic I saw online, they did a pretty good job.
Yeah that's what I plan on doing with the rip in my driver's seat. Seems this happens a lot...here's the thread where someone recently got their "leather" fixed
bhawks28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
fingaz
2009 WK 

Its actually a common thing with all leather seats. The leather gets brittle, creases and cracks. I use leather protectant on my seats, so hopefully they stay soft and supple for years to come.

But, even in my old car with cloth seats... after 10 years of going in and out, the drivers seat was getting worn and ratty looking.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights | Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit In -- To Do: Install Uniden CB, Rock lights
fingaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
Its actually a common thing with all leather seats. The leather gets brittle, creases and cracks. I use leather protectant on my seats, so hopefully they stay soft and supple for years to come.

But, even in my old car with cloth seats... after 10 years of going in and out, the drivers seat was getting worn and ratty looking.
I figured it was common on the Grand, and that I'd have to go to a local shop for the most economical fix, but wanted to throw it out there. My wife isn't big and has to slide in and out of the Jeep on the edge of the seat which I'm sure accelerated the issue.

This cracking isn't common on real leather seats though... this is leatherette. Leather will wear, but these cracks are making the leatherette almost peel off the cloth/vinyl backing. I had used protectant on the seats for the last 4 years before there were cracks and it still didn't prevent them.
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Budasac
2005 WK 

I noticed on mine the crack is right on top of the wires for the seat heaters. Poor design. They should have come up from the back of the seat, as opposed to being under the most abused section of the seat.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I think they dry out if you don't oil them or put conditioner on them. I have been putting that car leather conditioner on them, but I'm thinking of changing to some cheeper farm/feed-barn saddle oil product.
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.