Driver's Door Hinge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Driver's Door Hinge

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
2007GrandDiesel
2007 WK 

Driver's Door Hinge

I noticed the other day that my WK has started to experience more wind noise than usual on the highway. At first I thought the door wasn't closed all the way, but that wasn't the case. Upon further investigating, I could see that the upper door hinge appears to have become separated from the body. Has anybody else seen this or know if there's a fix on it?

2007GrandDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
rbrtcrtr

weak hinged doors

Last week I opened my door on very windy night and now my driverís side door is tweaked. The upper door hinge pulled out about Ĺ inch from post, rubs on fender when opening the door, and sucks wind. On Monday I will get this fixed at body shop. The charge is $700+. Now I will park with vehicle facing the wind so that door will blow close not open. (WK_2007)
rbrtcrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
jeepgaffer
2006 WK 

Yeah the door hinges suck. They are only held in by two bolts each! Its not hard to see how flinging the door open would tweak them without much effort. You can see the hinge flex. A very weak point in the design/engineering/execution of the WK.
Unread 02-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
PropDr
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtcrtr View Post
Last week I opened my door on very windy night and now my driverís side door is tweaked. The upper door hinge pulled out about Ĺ inch from post, rubs on fender when opening the door, and sucks wind. On Monday I will get this fixed at body shop. The charge is $700+. Now I will park with vehicle facing the wind so that door will blow close not open. (WK_2007)

$700.00 plus?
You might try this; open the door fully place a floor jack under the door (not the edge, and a block of wood for protection) lift the door to force the mounting back to its normal position.
After the distorted mounting point is under stress it may require persuasion with a heavy object (a hammer)
06 WK 5.7, No Badges,Gibson CatBack, BWoody CAI, Eibach Springs & upper Ball Joints; F/R ADDCO Bars w/BWoody links; SRT8 Bilsteins; SRT8 Wheels w/ F: 275/50/20, R: 305/20/45 Tires; Passport SRX; 6 Bosch HID's; SRT8 Engine Covers w/ 5.7L badge: Kicker Sys.
PropDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
rbrtcrtr

Thanks

Thanks -- I did use a number of persuasive tactics before deciding to have someone with bigger hammers have a shot at this. Appreciate your ideas.
rbrtcrtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.