Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Drive shaft bolts - How tight?

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  velocanman 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm replacing the joints on my rear drive shaft (had begun to rattle and were shot).

I was wondering if any of you know how much I should tighten the bolts? Is there some site online that has the numbers for these bolts and others?

#2 · (Edited)
You should typically specify whether you have 2WD or 4WD and which transfer case you have because the driveline is different.

According to Haynes, the Rear-driveshaft-to-transmission and Rear-driveshaft-to-differential flange bolt torque is 80 ft-lb. The Jeep Factory Service Manual for 2005-2010 lists 88 ft-lb.

I highly recommend you pick up a Haynes for $25 at the parts store. They are indispensable for the DIYer. Good luck with the service!

#6 ·
#4 ·
Blue lock-tite is used on the drive shaft bolts by the factory and would be highly recommended for that repair also.

FWIW, the rear drive shaft u-joints are non-replaceable. The entire shaft needs to be replaced with OEM $$ or a custom replacement available from drive line shops or on line.

Reactions: SKALA308
#5 ·
Well, there is non-replacable and then there is non-replacable... The crosses in the u-joints can be replaced. You will however need someone who can weld aluminum. There is a custom shop close by that replaced them for me and rebalanced the shaft. What they do is weld kind of washers on the "outside" of the U's to hold the replaced crosses in place. And now I have a functioning drive shaft that can be greased as needed.

I'm not going to say it's as good as new but for a quarter of the price of a new one (local currency), it's certainly good enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.