Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The dreaded P0299

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Brit30-06 
#1 ·
OK coming back from a trip I took recently, stopped at a rest stop and when I was leaving I noticed, when the engine was under load, a pretty loud woosh sound up by the firewall. I got home and let it rest for the night. Next day I drove it to work, got the woosh and then had no boost, thing ran like a dog, got the red lightning bolt. Going home from work same scenario but this time it threw a CEL also, the P0299. I checked the intake for leaks, everything seems fine. So now I am at a loss. Anyone have any other thoughts? TIA

#4 ·
Well a buddy told me to spray starting fluid on the intake joints while the Jeep is idling, with a crack or leak the fluid gets sucked in and causes the engine to rev higher. Did that on the whole intake side and nothing. Visually everything looks good too. Not really sure on the actuator. How do you check that?

#6 ·
Sounds like your actuator is on its way out. Mine is too, comes and goes and eventually fails. I've seen rebuilt units for around $250 or a new one for $600. From what I see they last about 75-100K. YMMV

Reactions: 08_CRD_WK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.