Drain Plug Will Not Drain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drain Plug Will Not Drain

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
deandec
1999 WJ 

Drain Plug Will Not Drain

2005 JGC 4.7L engine. (Not the jeep in profile)

First change of coolant.

I was able to loosen the drain plug with a pliers and then turn the plug handle about 180 degrees.

I got a steady thin stream of coolant which slowed to a drip. Loosing the radiator cap and overflow cap did very little to fix the problem. I twisted and turned the plug many times with no better result.

Total drained was about 1 gallon of fluid. The overflow tank did not drain at all. I added back 1 gallon of water, and the system is bled and full.

So, how is that drain plug supposed to work to drain 12.75 quarts of coolant?

Any help is appreciated

Unread 05-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
2005 JGC 4.7L engine. (Not the jeep in profile)

First change of coolant.

I was able to loosen the drain plug with a pliers and then turn the plug handle about 180 degrees.

I got a steady thin stream of coolant which slowed to a drip. Loosing the radiator cap and overflow cap did very little to fix the problem. I twisted and turned the plug many times with no better result.

Total drained was about 1 gallon of fluid. The overflow tank did not drain at all. I added back 1 gallon of water, and the system is bled and full.

So, how is that drain plug supposed to work to drain 12.75 quarts of coolant? Any help is appreciated
Gravity and pressure, i.e.- adding more water or a garden hose in the radiator cap/fill. IIRC you want to have the motor running while you do this as well.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
deandec
1999 WJ 

Thank you for the quick reply.

So in effect the plug is designed to force a flush every coolant change (100,000 miles or 5 years) ?

How will the overflow tank then drain from the system?
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
oilverland
2008 WK 

You'll want to have a look at the service manual - see:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/0...anual-1311193/
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
deandec
1999 WJ 

Thank you for the service manual reference, that will come in handy in the future.

It also answered the question of how to drain the overflow tank, but unfortunately the proscribed procedure did not work.

So, I am still looking for help on how to get the thing draining more aggressively since the above manual does not discuss the drain plug.

A replacement plug at car parts.com is described as "push in and twist drain plug". That would imply the plug should pull out some distance.

I have not been able to pull out the plug so far.

I will try again.
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
colinzj
2006 WK 

It's possible you had sediment collect around the drain and restrict the flow. You should be able to drain the whole shebang using the draincock.

If you run into a problem, pulling hoses is usually the answer. She'll drain real nice (and real sloppy) with no bottom hose. You can similarly drain the overflow by pulling its hose off the radiator neck.

Going the yanking hoses route, you will want a very large bucket, and you may want something to protect the floor.
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
deandec
1999 WJ 

Colinzi, you are most likely correct. Tonight I have been able to drain the overflow tank and am now getting a solid stream of coolant. I had to work the handle open and closed several times to get the steady but thin stream. But it will take about 2 hrs for it to drain at this rate.

I tried to clear up the pathway with a paper clip, but having seen a picture of the replacement drain plug, it looks as though there is no straight pathway.

I will see how far this will take the project. Then do the lower hose trick for the remainder.

Thanks to all who responded. I will report back the result.
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
deandec
1999 WJ 

No Coolant draining

Well, I am not the sharpest tack in the pail, but I am confused........

I drained about 5 quarts of coolant from the drain plug.

I removed the lower hose and got nothing.

The overflow tank is empty.

I briefly ran the engine to see if any additional pumped out. Nope.

I am supposed to see a replacement volume of about 14.75 quarts. Drained only 5 quarts.

(Note: My drain plug now works after draining the radiator and blowing 20 psi into the drain plug hole.)

Since I am replacing the Chrysler HOAT with another HOAT, I would like to get all the old coolant out. So will flush the system a couple of times (one gallon drained per time).

On my Cummins C8.3L I get 25 gallons with no effort at all so I think I know the procedure.

Why am I only draining 1 gallon at a time instead of about 3 gallons?

Last edited by deandec; 05-05-2012 at 11:29 AM..
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
p3busman

Is 14.75 what you are supposed to get out or is that the total cooling system capacity? There will be coolant trapped in the engine, heater core, etc.
p3busman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
deandec
1999 WJ 

Ok, the trapped stuff I will have to remove through another few cycles I guess.

Just surprised that 60% of the coolant is in the engine. I guess radiators are more efficient these days.

Thanks for the assist.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.