Drag link/Alignment Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Drag link/Alignment Issue

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
WKFusion
2006 WK 

Drag link/Alignment Issue

Morning! Well afternoon now..

Story: Went offroading a week ago, at a pretty moderate place, that is local; long story short ended up hitting a rut a little too hard-- opened up the seal on my front right tire (bead) and threw my alignment (along with my steering location) off significantly. I must admit it was the best off roading experience I have ever had...the results lead to a loss in my pocket $$$

Problem: I need help finding the drag link ( I have no experience with suspension/steering ), I was able to get underneath the truck today and I believe I might have found it. I also went to belle tire to get an alignment and they were unable to service my truck because of a "seized bolt" on the lower control arm--they refused to be specific.
I need help with restoring my vehicle back to ground zero!

Thanks!

hopefully this can be useful for some others as well

photo-3-.jpg   scan.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by WKFusion; 10-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: PICTURES ADDED
WKFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
WKFusion
2006 WK 

Does anyone recommended a shop?
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

1st you don't have a drag link.

Sounds like,a from the looks of the pics, you have seized bolts and/or tie rod end and jam nut.Happens when you don't wash the undercarriage at least once every 2 weeks in the winter with salt use.Just have them replace the parts and get a alignment.Any shop can do this job.
Unread 10-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
WKFusion
2006 WK 

I can do it all myself, the problem is I can't identify what's faulty and what's not.
Thanks a lot for the response!!!
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKFusion View Post
I can do it all myself, the problem is I can't identify what's faulty and what's not.
Thanks a lot for the response!!!
No drag link as stated (although i guess you could call your tie rod the drag link , but i think that 's just confusing), all adjustments are made with lower control arm and tie rod .By the looks of the report you probably smashed your lower control arm in which is why the tire shop couldn't get the bolt loose to do the alignment .
might be just me , but looks likehe problem as you said is on the right , but are those not pics of the LEFT-drivers side ??
anyways , if you want to give it a go here's the alignment form the service manual .
Good luck

STANDARD PROCEDURE
CAMBER, CASTER AND TOE ADJUSTMENT
NOTE: SUSPENSION HEIGHT MEASUREMENT MUST BE PERFORMED BEFORE AN ALIGNMENT.
Camber and caster angle adjustments involve changing the position of the lower control arm with the slots in the
frame brackets to move the lower control arm inwards or outwards for proper adjustment. This can be achieved by
using a long pry bar with a curved tip and inserting the pry bar into the lower control arm frame brackets
and prying inwards or outwards.
NOTE: Camber and caster adjustments must be made at the lower control arm Do not use the upper control
arm for Camber and Caster adjustments.
NOTE: When the lower control arm pivot bolts are loosened the lower control arm will normally go outwards
automatically with the weight of the vehicle.
CASTER
Moving the rear position of the lower control arm at the frame in or out, will change the caster angle significantly
and camber angle only slightly. To maintain the camber angle while adjusting caster, move the rear of the lower
control arm in or out. Then move the front of the lower control arm slightly in the opposite direction.
CAMBER
Move both the front and rear of the lower control arm together in or out. This will change the camber angle significantly
and caster angle slightly.
After adjustment is made tighten the lower control arm bolt & nuts to FRONT169 Nm (125 ft. lbs.) and the REAR
88 Nm (65 ft. lbs.).
TOE ADJUSTMENT
The wheel toe position adjustment is the final adjustment.
1. Start the engine and turn wheels both ways before
straightening the wheels. Secure the steering
wheel with the front wheels in the straight-ahead
position.
2. Loosen the tie rod jam nuts .
NOTE: Each front wheel should be adjusted for
one-half of the total toe position specification.
This will ensure the steering wheel will be centered
when the wheels are positioned straightahead.
3. Adjust the wheel toe position by turning the inner
tie rod as necessary.
4. Tighten the tie rod jam nut to 75Nm (55 ft. lbs.).
5. Verify the specifications.
6. Turn off engine.
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
WKFusion
2006 WK 

Thank you so much. So the bolt on the lower control arm (one that tends to seize for people adding lifts) is the problem? If so I need to get those drilled out anyway because I can't put on my lift.
Thank you so much for the help guys.

Tags
adjust , alignment , camber , drag link , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.