JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   DPF delete (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/dpf-delete-1361072/)

gun-driver 04-25-2012 09:07 AM

DPF delete

Has anyone done a DPF delete on a 3.0
If so what all is involved and is there kits available.

tnadanzig 04-25-2012 03:02 PM

Yes, I have been running with a DPF delete for several months now. I love it. I run the Custom Spooling Tune. They are great to work with and offer a sweet product.
To delete the DPF you need to get a tune and either clear out your current dpf filter or replace it with a custom pipe. There are no kits for the pipe, most clear out either dpf filter.

TurboDiesel 04-25-2012 05:55 PM

do u blow any black smoke with no DPF?

i wanna delete mine but dont know if i will pass AirCare

gun-driver 04-25-2012 07:18 PM

Thanks Tnadanzig,
I could do the gut job on the DPF but I never did any kind of tuning before I'm kinda lost when it comes to that.
We don't have emissions testing where I live so I don't have to worry about that. The reason I want to do the delete is so I can run 100% Bio in it like I do in my Super Duty.

CustomSpooling2 04-25-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gun-driver (Post 13469501)
Thanks Tnadanzig,
I could do the gut job on the DPF but I never did any kind of tuning before I'm kinda lost when it comes to that.
We don't have emissions testing where I live so I don't have to worry about that. The reason I want to do the delete is so I can run 100% Bio in it like I do in my Super Duty.

Installing the tune is easy and painless.

We provide complete instructions and online/phone support. First you download your stock ECU file using either the tuning interface or CMD Flash Tool. With the CMD Flash Tool I can do this for you online. Once I have your stock ECU file, we open it up and edit the ECU parameters to complete your tuned file. This process takes about 1-3 days and you can continue to drive your vehicle during this time. Once your tuned file is completed, we install your tuned file into your ECU over the internet, or email you the file for you to install.

If you are going to run 100% bio, I suggest immediately changing your fuel filter and switching to biodiesel compatible fuel lines. Bio acts like a solvent and any accumulated gunk in your fuel system will be released by the Bio. Changing the fuel filter can prevent problems that can cost lots of money to repair.

Contact me, peter@customspooling.com for more info on our tunes.

tnadanzig 04-26-2012 08:02 AM

TurboDiesel, I do not blow any black smoke with the dpf deleted. I have done several 1/4 mile runs and zero black smoke. You can barely tell the dpf is gone. The only thing I have noticed is a small aroma of diesel fumes from the exhaust. With the dpf the exhaust didn't really smell like diesel, now it barely has that smell. It definitely doesn't smell at all like my Super Duty does, but that has a race tune with 175 injectors.

Gun-driver, As Peter states it's a totally painless experience.
I have thought of running 100% Bio as well because we have lots of it in Iowa, but this is my wife’s car and the work to make sure it runs 100% all the time is hard to justify for me. Let us know if you go that way and how it works. I have run B5 through B20 with the DPF gone and not noticed any issues. I do all my own service and keep extra filters on hand in case.

6.6Driver 04-26-2012 10:24 AM

tnadanzig

Was the R&R of the DPF to gut it a tough job? I have looked under mine and things seem tight down there.

terrasmak 04-26-2012 12:37 PM

I just wonder if i can do this and pass smog in Nevada

TurboDiesel 04-26-2012 05:35 PM

^ x2
im wondering the same thing....obv. not in nevada tho lol

jediknight 04-26-2012 06:57 PM

Technicaly in therms of NOx and HC agents you should be find... Those are taken care by the cat and Dpf is only there for the soot important to remember. The question is how much of soots a wk will produce i would say not that much ...Older golf and jetta tdi does not have dpf and soot wise they are not that bad.

tnadanzig 04-26-2012 07:26 PM

6.6 Driver, Getting the dpf pipe out is a little bit of work. I raised the vehicle on jacks. You need to remove the transmission skid plate (15mm & 13mm) and undo the dpf pressure lines (17mm). Remove the front (13mm) and rear dpf pipe bolts (15mm). The next was the hardest part for me, getting the dpf pipe exhaust hanger off its mount. I couldn't get the dpf out without removing the exhaust hanger bracket from the side of the transmission. I got the dpf loose and worked around it. There are two bolts 17mm. Gutting is pretty easy with a large metal bar. Then reassembly. The fastener head sizes are from memory so I might be a little off.
terrasmak,
I would like to know if this could pass smog inspection. To me the exhaust really seems pretty clean, but I am comparing that to trucks. But I have yet to see any soot out of the exhaust. I have followed the Jeep numerous times and my wife drives pretty hard, but I have yet to see it blow black smoke. I think with the EGR running it could pass. I had Custom Spooling disable the EGR.

jediknight 04-26-2012 07:41 PM

Very true !! EGR is there to reduce NOx agents, therefore deactivating wont help in the drive clean / air care / breath clean or whatever program it is called lol

The time now is 09:42 PM.