Donuts=no power steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Donuts=no power steering

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
StormTrooper07

Donuts=no power steering

Help needed! Saw an open parking lot full of snow and couldn't help myself. However, when I got done I heard a whining noise and soon realized I had no power steering. I believe the problem to be the pump, am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!

StormTrooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
08hemi
2008 WK 

The belt didn't pop off did it?
08hemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

I'd check the belt first also and look for signs of a leak.
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
StormTrooper07

Belt appears to be fine...fluid was low so I put some in, but I still have the whining noise and no power steering..
StormTrooper07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Exact same thing happened to my friends WK last night...belt look fine in his too...
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
caulk04
2008 WK 

Are you one of those people who holds the wheel all the way turned making the rack force against the steering stops? That's really hard on the steering gear...
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper07 View Post
Help needed! Saw an open parking lot full of snow and couldn't help myself. However, when I got done I heard a whining noise and soon realized I had no power steering. I believe the problem to be the pump, am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance!
If you have a HEMI or CRD , then the power steering pump is used for the hydraulic cooling fan as well . You could have knocked the bottom hydraulic hose off somehow . Make sure you got fluid in there or you could start overheating too .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
xSoFx
2006 WK 

As stated, find out where that fluid went. If you have no leaks, feel free to purchase a new power steering pump before you overheat your engine.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
imann
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
If you have a HEMI or CRD , then the power steering pump is used for the hydraulic cooling fan as well . You could have knocked the bottom hydraulic hose off somehow . Make sure you got fluid in there or you could start overheating too .
If you have the hydraulic system ,anything from your fan to FCM could cause the pump to strain and whine......I literally just replaced my entire system from the fan to the pump to the **** and all sensors etc......it was a headache....if yzjwk chimes in you may get a precise answer as he helped diagnose my problems dwn to the fcm
06WK slvr#107-hemi-QDII-3.5 Mopar-bilsteins-JBA frnt discos-275/70r17 BFG KM2 MTs-BT cc-
Airraid CAI-Magnaflow exh-super chip prgmr-9k MM winch in custom frnt bumper wth D-rng's
4x grd frnt/rear skids & rear sliders w/D-rng's-BT shrty ant-stillen crs drlld x4-pinch weld mod
imann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Drew
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Are you one of those people who holds the wheel all the way turned making the rack force against the steering stops? That's really hard on the steering gear...
especially when your romping on it doing donuts in the snow....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.