DONT waste your money on Oracle LED halos - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > DONT waste your money on Oracle LED halos

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

DONT waste your money on Oracle LED halos

I just received my SMD LED halos from oracle. The halos them self seem to be pretty nice. High quality. They are bright the less are very close together (spaced).

The problem is with the size of the rings. They don't line up. It's like the halo itself isn't large enough in diameter. So when you hold it in place, the bottom (or top depending on how you have them placed) is about an inch too short and doesn't even touch the circle of the headlight. I can grab the ring and try and pry it open bigger and it lines up better, but I'm afraid I will break the board of the ring, also I doubt the 3m sticky adhesive would hold it in placed while stretched open like that.

I will post some pictures when I get on my computer. I took plenty.

I called support and they had no idea what I was talking about, they were really nice and said they would send me a picture of a grand Cherokee headlight they had in their shop. When I received the picture, theirs was the same way. The rings don't actually line up with the headlight. It's either poor measurment during product design, or they just took a full circle ring and cut it to shape a "C".

I'm dissapointed.
Will they work? Yes.
Do they light up nice, and look nice? YEP.
But if I'm paying $200 for some leds on a board, they should at least be the correct damn size.

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
chevra
2008 WK 

That is dissappointing for sure. For that price you want something that fits exactly. The price is exactly why I havent bought these and also the fact that its a pain to open up your headlights and then close them back up hoping not to wreck anything. Would like to see the pics when you have time!
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

I'll post pics for sure. This is my second set of headlights that I have pulled apart and painted and did custom work on. My first set was my stock headlights and they were crazy hard to get opened. I pretty much ruined them and had to use almost a whole tube of sealant to close them back up because they were so badly gnarled up. I had custom painted them, and used flexible led strip to make my own halos. They actually looked really good on the jeep, you couldn't tell that I had messed up the seams. But the led strip burnt out after a few months.

So I bought a second set of headlights off eBay for about $70 a piece. And I got both of them opened up in 2 hours. The aftermarket oem style really are much much easier to open up. Still not easy, but easier. I only gnarled up the spot where I first started prying. Once you finally get under the lens, you can pull them apart with your hands. But the stock one would not do that.

I'm still really bummed about these oracle halos.
A better option would be flashtech brand halos. They used to make a set for our jeep, you can find pictures and info on them over at the "other" forums. But they were really nice, and fit perfect. They don't sell them for our jeep anymore though. I gave them a call and they said I could send my headlights to them and they would custom fit new halos since they now longer have the measurments of the halos they used to sell. But they were even willing to do color changing halos. Which Oracle does not have for us. Oracle only sells color shift for the Projector oem housings (srt8 etc) but not the halogens.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 09-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
chevra
2008 WK 

I will keep an eye on what you all do. You had told me before that aftermarket headlights are easier to take apart but I still havent tried it yet. I will wait for the pictures. At the moment im living with an led strip outlining the bottom of my headlights ha.
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Yea, I don't recommend doing it to your current lights. If you screw up you won't have any headlights for your car. That's what made my first time around so bad. I used my only pair of headlights. So I had a day and a half to finish them before I had to drive to work an needed headlights. I scared myself during the process because I thought that I ruined my lights and that I was gonna have to junkyard search for lights asap.

I'll post pictures of the whole new headlight project in my build thread. As for this thread, I'm just gonna post the pictures of how bad the Oracle halos fit, but not my finished project.
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Ok so here are some pictures

At first glance they look ok, but the problem is the circles are not big enough. You either have a gap at the bottom or a gap at the top. Also even when centered as best as possible, their is a small 3rd gap on the side of the circle.

Here is the big gap at the bottom, because the halo doesn't line up at all.

This is the gap on the side of the circle, not the top or bottom.

They still look good lit up, and they still look good even from a few feet away. One of my concerns is that these rings stick on via 3M double sided. But because they don't fit correctly, there is less surface area for the tape to get a good stick.

I also don't really understand why they tried to go on the inside of the headlight circle. And not the flat outside part that follows right around the circle. It would have made a nice smooth and flat surface for the rings to stick to.

If these were $60 or so, I wouldn't care as much. But to me, its the fact that these are $199. Add shipping (which was pretty darn high also btw) and it was over $221. For that price these should fit correctly.

And just for comparison, here is a picture of some flashtech brand halos that I found on some "other" forums:
Notice how these fit almost perfect. And also they sit on top of the outer edge of the headlight circle, and not inside and all awkward like Oracles.

So im gonna go ahead and continue with my install anyways. But, we as a community should get flashtech into selling those halos again. When I talked to them they were willing to take my headlights and measure and fit custom halos, of any color/style/color change etc. It just sucks that they don't have the measurements from when they used to sell them. Clearly they are much higher quality than Oracle. There was a HUGE group buy for these a few years back on the other forums and everyone agreed they were better.
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Its funny too, because when I spoke to one of their "technician's", he had no idea what I meant. He told me they should sit on the inside and that he would send me a picture of one. The picture they sent me, looks just like mine. With a gap at the bottom and everything. LOL. So I knew from then on, I wasn't gonna get anywhere with them.
Unread 09-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

I can't believe they don't see anything wrong with them lol, I mean it almost looks warped from packaging or something, hard to believe that's how they come
sheepdog918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Yea, and the picture they sent me of one of their installs was the same way.

It's already giving me problems with the rings staying stuck to the housing. I finished my headlights, put them together with sealant and set them to dry. I just went to check on them, and one of the rings is already coming off because the lack of surface are being stuck to the housing. And I already sealed the damn headlight so I don't know if I should just leave it and hope it stays, or take it all apart again, and start over...... Ughhhhhhhbhhhh

I mean my old headlights when I used flexible led strip to make the halos, looked more flush and uniform than these. Which is pretty sad.

I also think that it's funny they have a life time warranty. But the paper work says that if you use epoxy or similar to secure the rings to the headlight it voids the warranty because it can screw up the board somehow. But if you don't use some sort of epoxy apparently they are just gonna pop off like mine are because the damn ring isn't the right size and the sticky tape only touches in 3 spots WTF
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
sheepdog918
2007 WK 

You would think if your gonna spend the $$$, that they would at least put something together to fix that gap, it looks like it's the same ring used for the high beam on the low beam bezel
sheepdog918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

I know right? Over $200 and they couldn't make them fit a little better?

They low ring is a lot bigger than the high ring so they are different sizes. Actually the high beam ring (smaller circle) fits much better than the low beam ring. It's still not perfect, but it's much better than the big ring. The bigger ring is just everywhere.
Unread 09-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
chevra
2008 WK 

Those dont fit at all ha. I dont get what they were trying to accomplish with that, it is pretty obvious where it should fit to work and stick properly. That settles it, im not getting these because they are going to fall off for sure. Thanks for posting the pics.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Yea, and COINCIDENTALLY they don't have any pictures of the LED rings on their website. They only show a dark picture with the halos lit up. But they do show pictures of the CCFL halos, but those fit properly..... Imagine that

Even searching for grand Cherokee led Oracle halos, it was almost impossible to find pictures of the rings themselves

So now hopefully people will see my pics and make a judgement based upon them.

I finished my lights and they really do look great I think. The halos themselves are really bright and very nice tightly spaced. Looking at the front of the jeep looks good, you only notice the flaws when looking closely into the light when the halos are turned off. When they are on, they would practically blind you if you looked that close.

So my results are partial, they work good, and look good. But the price is rediculas for a product that wasn't even measured to fit properly. Poor R&D on their part.

I really hope we can get flashtech back into the market for our GC. Because their looked so much better when they made them.
Unread 09-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
xeasternskies
2007 WK 

Man I was just about to buy a set of these for the HID retrofit I'm going to do eventually..that's a huge bummer.
07 WK 4.7L V8 Limited l Flowmaster 44 l Spidertrax 1.5" l JK Moab's l Black WK #137.
xeasternskies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

To the OP -

Copy........will never waste my money on lighting upgrades.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.