Doing my own maintenence, and going premium - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Doing my own maintenence, and going premium

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
AnalogDog

Doing my own maintenence, and going premium

I had an evil co-worker give me a lecture on synthetic oils, Kendall GT1 and Amsoil, and I read up on them on the web, and now I am off to premium filters and such. Such is my life, if its not one thing, its a hundred.

I have a 3.7 2006 WK Laredo that I am going to wrap up the year since I bought it with 21,000 miles. According to the Recreational Oil Changers, that means 7 oil changes, or if I go by the book, 3.5 oil changes.

Humm, could I get it down to 2? Or none? Anybody doing the Amsoil thing? Testing oil every 16,000, and not replacing it?

But more mundane, who's using synthetic oil? And what filter system are you using? What's your change rate? 3k? 5k? 10k? Never? Is anyone using a premium filter system? Fram Extreme Duty, and the like.

But anyway, I am opening myself up to doing my own maintenence after about 15 years of having Jiffy Lube do it, and I want to see what's good, and not so good out there.

Rob

AnalogDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Scottina06
2006 WK 

I am using Mobil1 5w-30 with the K&N oil filters
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #3
garsarno

Been using Mobil 1 on our '07 Hemi GC since 1,000 miles and changing every 4,000 miles at local Gulf gas station with Jeep filter. No problems with oil related issues since mid 80s on all of my cars.
garsarno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
T-Rated

I just started with Royal Purple and the K&N filter. I plan on going 5k, then doing an oil analysis with Blackstone Labs. Based on the results, I'll decide if I can up the interval a bit. Though I wouldn't mind every 5k just for peace of mind.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
jeep_on

Im my WJ Im running 5W30 AMSOil and an over-sized K&N filter (engine now holds seven quarts of oil) and change it every 6,000 miles. In my Dodge RAM I run AMSOil 15W40 heavy duty diesel oil with a Fleetguard filter, change it every 15,000 miles.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Intrepidjeep

I run Mobil-1 5W30 and the oversized oil filter -- the filter that you'd use if you had an old Dodge or Chrysler with a 440 under the hood Fits the same but has a longer body for more capacity and less restriction through the filter.

I change oil around every 7000-9000 miles.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
HurriJeff
2013 WK 

I only use 5W-20 as reccomended by Jeep for the 5.7 Hemi. I only use Mobile 1 in all of my personal engines. And on my Jeep , Purolator PUR1 oil filter.. the purple/blue one. I have read that it has more filter surface area, better quality materials inside and a better casing. Additionally its synthetic filter media and not cellulose/paper.

Here are a few links that will helpyou learn more about oil filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
http://synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

Good Luck !
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #10
Previous Jeeps:
1998 ZJ Special Edition 2wd- Traded
1991 XJ 2.8 2wd Sold
HurriJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In my '05 Grand Cherokee I use Amsoil XL 5W30 which is rated for 7,500 miles or 6months with the Wix filter and I change every 6,000 miles. In my 98 Wrangler I use 10W30 which is rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year and use the Ea filter by Amsoil and that is also rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year and I change that about once a year.
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
054.7JGC
2010 WK 

i use only amsoil

hi

i have used mobil 1 up until i returned from iraq in 2004 and then i went totally to amsoil synthtetics in my vehicles.

i have an 07 JGC 4x2 hemi with mds so i have to use 5w-20 xlm (extended life motor) oil. with this i use the amsoil ea filter. i am goint th full 7500 mile enterval.

i also have amsoil synthetic transmission fluid and amsoil 74w-140 differential fluid
as well..amsoil front to rear.

amsoil is the first to make fully synthetics and the best. mobil
054.7JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.