Do you guys want a WK Lift kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Do you guys want a WK Lift kit?

Free shipping on slip yoke eliminator kits New lower PriceNew! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

Do you guys want a WK Lift kit?

Hey Guys,

I'm taking a hard look at the various late model unibody platforms that haven't gotten much love.

Even though I drive straight axle trucks, I am not afraid of, nor am I entirely against independent suspensions.

We came out with our new Jspec line of suspension systems, starting with the JK. The Jspec system for the JK is in a word: Awesome. It drives very, very well on the street and very capable in the dirt. It's compatible with the entire JKS catalogue and is easy to customize. We can barely keep them on the shelves. Take a look at our Jspec kit for the JK:http://jksmfg.com/c-1044773-shop-by-...n-systems.html. Now, doing a capable WK kit would be an ENTIRELY different animal, but the question remains: If we could deliver on a Rubicon ready, daily driveable kit, would you guys buy it? A sister company of mine tried a WK kit and it fell on it's face, not because it was a bad kit but because no one bought it.

If so:
What do you want to see from the front suspension? Moderate lift with springs and shocks only? Do you want Long travel and are you willing to pay for it? Are you afraid of a diff drop? How do the factory components hold up to playing in the dirt with larger tires?
What about the Tri Link: Ball joint spacer? Different/clever new tri link mount? Whole new Tri Link? 4 link conversion?
Lift height?
What size tires is realistic based on gearing options available?
What additional components would you want with the kit?
The JK Jspec system is $1245.00 for the base kit. The WK system will likely be much more due to differences in the platform. How much would YOU pay for it? JKS will not release a kit that isn't perfect, and with all JKS product you get what you pay for.

Finally, how many of you would buy the kit you're describing RIGHT NOW?

Thanks everyone! I really, really want feedback. I think there is a pretty big hole in the market for the WKs, I'm trying to figure out if we are the company to fill it

Don't forget to Like us on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/JKSMFG
jksrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

If you dont mind me asking, who was this sister company that developed a WK lift kit? Im sure we can atleast provide some insight on why it was not popular.

I think its safe to say that every WK owner on this forum would like to see more lift options!! Having said that, you have to remember that for most owners, their WK is their daily driver/weekend trial runner, so i would assume not many of us would be interested in a long travel/rock crawler kit (thats just my assumption though). Speaking personally, I am more concerned with a great ride and enough lift to comfortably fit 33in tires (roughly 3in lift needed). I personally would love to see more coilover lift kits that provide about 3 inches of lift and allow me to adjust the front ride height as i add more weight to the front (armor, winch, bumper). The issue for the WK, is that once we exceed the 23in hub to fender front measurement we start breaking and wearing out parts very quickly, without a diff drop. Currently the only diff drop option that i know of is the Superlift kit.

We do have one regearing option with Nitro but that is only to 4.10's i beleive, so im sure others would like more options for regrearing. Just my 2 cents.

The build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/j...hread-1373720/
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Fast55
2010 WK 

^
What he said.
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
w33mud
2006 WK 

Yes please,3" lift to fit 285/70/17's.need to be able to drive to the trail offroad all day & then drive home,or am I asking too much?
w33mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
If you dont mind me asking, who was this sister company that developed a WK lift kit? Im sure we can atleast provide some insight on why it was not popular.

I think its safe to say that every WK owner on this forum would like to see more lift options!! Having said that, you have to remember that for most owners, their WK is their daily driver/weekend trial runner, so i would assume not many of us would be interested in a long travel/rock crawler kit (thats just my assumption though). Speaking personally, I am more concerned with a great ride and enough lift to comfortably fit 33in tires (roughly 3in lift needed). I personally would love to see more coilover lift kits that provide about 3 inches of lift and allow me to adjust the front ride height as i add more weight to the front (armor, winch, bumper). The issue for the WK, is that once we exceed the 23in hub to fender front measurement we start breaking and wearing out parts very quickly, without a diff drop. Currently the only diff drop option that i know of is the Superlift kit.

We do have one regearing option with Nitro but that is only to 4.10's i beleive, so im sure others would like more options for regrearing. Just my 2 cents.

JKS has two sister suspension companies owned by Fox: BDS and Zone. While we don't cross pollinate as far as products go, we do have some of the same people wearing multiple hats. BDS developed a solid WK kit, I think it was 4." No one bought it, they moved it over to Zone and blew it out even though it was originally slated to be a higher end kit by BDS. It was a good kit, to this day they still don't know why it didn't sell. Maybe the vehicle was too new/posh at the time? No one knows for sure.

I would think that a WK on 33s would be pretty unstoppable. If there are gears available I know that ARB has a locker, it would be a sweet rig.

Unread 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Greever
2008 WK 

What jevnrick said, but also maybe try talking to kolak. from what I've seen, kolak deals with alot of weekend warriors (like myself) that want something modest yet aggressive. Price wise id say to stay around the old man emu cost to stay competitive since it seems that most ppl usually either go with a budget boost or OME.
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

I feel like the reason the BDS kit didn't sell is because of how new the platform was. Not that many people were lifting their WK's at the time.

Put it this way, I hard about the BDS 4" lift when I was looking at the superlift. I got interested in it and then I realized they stopped making the BDS lift, and the Superlift is on backorder. So I said screw it and ordered OME.

Our lift options suck. We have budget boost, OME 2-3" (non modified or modified with spacers) and the superlift. That's it.

I was just on the market ready to upgrade from my 2" Rough country budget boost lift and drop around $2,000 on a lift. Superlift is on national backorder, and BDS is gone. So I went with OME (going to modify it with spacers) and some armor and other things instead. That being said, had their have been another 4" lift option, it very likely could have gotten my money.

The WK can easily handle 33"s. The Hemi or CRD can handle easily without re-gearing. Guys are running 35-37"s with their modified superlifts and not re-gearing.
I plan on adding a rear locker. The QTII system up front with locker in the rear will be a pretty good system.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
TangoTango
2008 WK 

A lift that would let the WK use 35" tires would be ideal.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

I would be interested in a progressive spring that gets stiffer when more weight is added to eliminate sag...I feel the current OME Heavy Spring is not adequate....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
waterhammer

2005 WK 

I agree with most of what has been said. For me coming from an XJ with almost unlimited options it sucks. I would like something that not only fit's 33"'s, but also allows for some articulation of those tires. I personally don't like spacers, blocks, etc. I want full suspension type upgrades. The OME price range is good, but if it offered more, I would be willing to spend more. I say $1500 or less.
2005 silver WK #158 OME HD...etc...
2013 Pierce Velocity (Work Truck)

WK Build

Support your local search and rescue...GET LOST!
waterhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Glad to see this post is getting some attention. I would also be interested in a front diff drop kit if such things exist?? That is the major limiting factor for people not going bigger (and money of course). Our cv's and steering racks wear out way to quick if the angle is to much.

It's gotta stay reliable.

The build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/j...hread-1373720/
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #12
hxdrummerxc

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Glad to see this post is getting some attention. I would also be interested in a front diff drop kit if such things exist?? That is the major limiting factor for people not going bigger (and money of course). Our cv's and steering racks wear out way to quick if the angle is to much.

It's gotta stay reliable.
I agree. Dropping the front diff is a MUST for us in the WK to push 3" or higher without stressing and damaging components. A kit to drop the diff would be nice. Currently only the superlift does that right now, we need more options.

Like I said in my previous post, my plans for my jeep are to eventully go bigger. I merely skipped the superlift this time around. I want 4"+ and 35"s. It might be a year or two before I get there, but if your lift is available by then it would certainly be nice.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | RC lift | Custom painted headlights with Oracle LED Halos | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

browsing the comments on this, I do agree that a 3" kit that was adequate enough to fit a set of 33s would be a very popular kit for the WK. I do agree that an adjustable coilover for the front end would be great, something you could simply crank up to maybe 3.5" in the front to compensate for that winch bumper or added weight in the front end. the rear would be suffice with a progressive coil like mentioned above, combined with some fox shocks in the rear... ball game. I know companies like JBA make a 2.5" kit that comes with their products but the price on their stuff is a bit insane- I mean a 4" from them is $4500+.

like many have said, a majority of the WK owners on here are a weekend warrior/light overlander who gets out and does moderate wheeling/exploring. many just daily drive their rigs and want that aggressive stance and the better ride of a lift kit. unfortunately, the IFS of the WK is the biggest hurdle and putting a 3" on the front will def push the limits of the rack. I know the SL addresses the issues with the front end but that requires a bit of work. if there was a way to address the added stress the 3" will add to the front end in a similar fashion the SL kit does without the need for a shop to install it or a welder/etc, then I think youll have a real winner on your hand. if the kit can be installed in a customers driveway in a weekend or less, that would def drive sales.

looking forward to see what comes out... a 3" kit out of the box that can be installed, without worrying about blowing my rack all to hell would definitely be great.
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
demaster21
2005 WK 

I've noticed that most WK owners are first time jeep owners and also drive it as their daily driver. I've had my WK for about 7 years and only recently decided that I wanted to lift my jeep. I thought the same way as everyone above, I wanted 33s but still had to be comfortable on the asphalt since I do a lot of towing. I really wanted to get the 4" lift kit but I was hesitant to because of all the added strain on the other components and the fact that you have to cut components and isn't a simple swapping of parts.

I think if there was a reasonable priced kit that people could do with minimum wrenching experience, you would likely have a great selling item. I just purchased the OME kit from Kolak and this will be my first ever experience installing a lift kit.

I personally would spend around $1500-2000 for a good system with a 3"-4" lift. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
demaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
jksrep
Pete from JKS

2007 JK Wrangler 

What about a long travel type set up, just out of curiosity?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.