Do I need a new cv axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Do I need a new cv axle?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Do I need a new cv axle?

Hey Guys, I searched but couldn't find my specific problem. So I checked the boots on my passenger side cv axle and they are fine. No tears and no oil anywhere. However, on the inner most part of the axle, that connects to the front diff, I noticed oil seeping out.

Do I need a whole new axle or do they make just a seal that I can replace?

05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

Hey did you get a answer? What problems are you having ? Why I ask well I have 05 5.7 4x4 and I and getting vibration in my gas pedal and brake pedal I have changed the front rotors and rear rotors and pads with no change in the vibration.
Limited HEMI Dark Khaki Pearl SRT8 Full Body Kit, Roof Rails,SRT8 Engine Strut Bar, Lund Rear Spoiler, MYGIG INSTALLED with LOCKPICK, Kenwood Sub,AFE Intake, Taylor Spark Plug Wires,G2 Silver Painted Brake Calipers, Billet Tech Catch Can, Addco Sway Bars Front and Rear, Eibach Lowering Springs,Xenon Volt HID Lows 6k,Chrome SRT Reps
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Hey Guys, I searched but couldn't find my specific problem. So I checked the boots on my passenger side cv axle and they are fine. No tears and no oil anywhere. However, on the inner most part of the axle, that connects to the front diff, I noticed oil seeping out.

Do I need a whole new axle or do they make just a seal that I can replace?
You need an axle seal. Pull the CV and then you pull out the old seal and install a new one.
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWK View Post
Hey did you get a answer? What problems are you having ? Why I ask well I have 05 5.7 4x4 and I and getting vibration in my gas pedal and brake pedal I have changed the front rotors and rear rotors and pads with no change in the vibration.
Possible CV but could be tires also,.but usually transmits into the steering wheel first. Is it while braking?

Jack up the front and wiggle the wheel up and down and side to side. If it has play up and down it's a wheel bearing, side to side is tierods or rack
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL

You need an axle seal. Pull the CV and then you pull out the old seal and install a new one.
Thanks!
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
audiophonicz
2007 WK 

and FYI for anyone, i do believe the CVs on our front axles are serviceable. I saw not too long ago 2 rebuild kits from Omix Ada i believe. Ones just the boot the other is the boot and CV components for one side of the axle.
audiophonicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.